Homemade flatbreads - fantastic!

I've recently started experimenting with making my own flatbreads after a work colleague said he made his own.

I've made apricot and spring onion flatbreads a couple of times and I've just made and eaten a sun-dried tomato and olive flatbread, perfect with burgers and salad.

The one time it wasn't so good was when I tried to cook them in the oven rather than on the griddle. I think the oven wasn't hot enough and they crisped up rather than going soft. I tried the oven method because the only drawback to doing in a griddle pan is the smoke.

I never realised how quick, simple and cheap it was to make my own.

I never need buy a naan bread ever again!

Sounds good & I'd love to give them a go. Do you use a specific recipe?

Sounds good & I'd love to give them a go. Do you use a specific recipe?

8 tablespoons of plain flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

Grated lemon zest

4 apricots finely chopped

4 spring onions finely chopped

Any favourite seasoning - (cumin, mustard seed, curry powder)

Mix, add a bit of water, work into a nice dough, roll out, oil both sides then cut in half and place on a red hot griddle.

It will work with a normal frying pan but the griddle makes the lovely black char lines.

Makes enough for two flatbreads. Once the basic recipe works then you just experiment with any other ingredients to hand.

1 teaspoon baking powder

Grated lemon zest

Mix, add a bit of water, work into a nice dough, roll out, oil both sides then cut in half and place on a red hot griddle.

It will work with a normal frying pan but the griddle makes the lovely black char lines.

Makes enough for two flatbreads. Once the basic recipe works then you just experiment with any other ingredients to hand.

I fancy making some but would prefer without chunks, surely it's not just flour, baking powder and water with spices??

I fancy making some but would prefer without chunks, surely it's not just flour, baking powder and water with spices??

Nope, nothing more. Make a dough, roll it out, oil it and cook in a very hot pan :)

There's a lovely flatbread with cooked mashed sweet potato in. I think it's Portugese.

There's a lovely flatbread with cooked mashed sweet potato in. I think it's Portugese.

Did a quick google of that and came up with this.

Tried these tonight, they were delish : )

Did a quick google of that and came up with this.

The ones I made didn't have the spices in.

1 teaspoon baking powder

Grated lemon zest

Thank You Taxman ! X

Just made flatbread using your recipe and they were delicious !. I adde garlic, fresh chopped Rosemary , salt and pepper . Gorgeous ! ta x

Thank You Taxman ! X

Just made flatbread using your recipe and they were delicious !. I adde garlic, fresh chopped Rosemary , salt and pepper . Gorgeous ! ta x

Glad you liked them. I think as soon as you know the basic recipe and how to make them then you can just experiment with all sorts of spices or ingredients. I can't believe I've only recently started making them.

I've been experimenting with bread too and will have to give yours a go next weekend.

My favourite so far is 100g of plain flour mixed with 100g of plain yoghurt, made into a dough, rolled into two flat breads and put into a hot frying pan with a tiny bit of oil in it. I can make them and be cleaned up in 5 minutes :0) Tastes just like nan bread. I started off adding spices to them, but I just make them plain to have with curry now ( I'm so lazy :roll: !!)