Castle Market Closing Date

My bullguard software says your link has been listed as a malicious site

Oh dear! :hihi: it's a genuine thing! - google Friends of Sheffield Castle and have a look

Have a look at the link and see what we're trying to do with the area.

http://friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk

I have studied the link and it looks very impressive however it is presumptive and there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that any worthwhile remains of the castle exist.

Any one with any knowledge in the building trade will know that in the construction of a substantial building such as Castle Market then the foundations go down to solid ground ,ground that is below any previous construction.

This is what happened at Castle Market and during that construction no remains of any significance where uncovered.

Further to this I would like to point out that as champions of Sheffield's past history you ignore the trading area that has been on that spot before any castle was ever built and in so doing are ignoring an even more important part of Sheffield's history ,every day living history, that will be destroyed forever because of a minority group who have used their influence to erase a thousand years of Sheffielders trading on or near that spot.

Who knows one day we may have a thread on why did we destroy the Market area as we often still get in regard to the Rag and Tag.

Edited by cuttsie

I'd quite like to know what's in store for Castle House. It's been five years and still it sits empty in a prime space in town. Surely there is something that can be done with it to attract a store (or several stores) to move there?

Make it into a Market [Council permission needed of course;)]

Interesting site. Thank you. :)

You're welcome! :D

Hello, when does Castle Market finally close for good then as am sure they will have a due date in mind.

I would also love the area from Castle House all the way down to the Wicker to be demolished and redeveloped as it looks filthy and offensive.

And carry on all the way up Spital Hill :hihi:

We all know the area round CM is a dump, and many see the market as a dump but, it's our dump and has character. I wonder if a lot of folk on here remember the old rag & tag, now that was a market.

I know we have to move on, but why couldn't the area and market be redeveloped and left there, because we have a crap council, who have no foresight, as it said look at all the old buildings just left to decay.

I know we have to move on, but why couldn't the area and market be redeveloped and left there, because we have a crap council, who have no foresight, as it said look at all the old buildings just left to decay.

Might that be because a new market is being built at Moorfoot and therefore redeveloping Castle Market would be a waste of money? Personally I rather see some old castle ruins than a market we'll no longer need, redeveloped or not.

I heard a rumour that an exorcist was once appointed to remove any inhabited demons that vacated Castle Market :suspect:

Might that be because a new market is being built at Moorfoot and therefore redeveloping Castle Market would be a waste of money? Personally I rather see some old castle ruins than a market we'll no longer need, redeveloped or not.

I know they are building a new market but, but why not do all what I said in the 1st instance. We lost Sheaf Market now Castle Market, I know the need to move on but new is not always best.

I also understand about our heritage with the ruins, but lets face it Manor Castle is hardly a show stopper.

I have mixed feelings, I enjoy going to the food part of Castle Market, but I'm also excited about the prospect of the old castle ruins being brought back into the open for us all to explore and enjoy.

I don't often get into Sheffield, but I going to try and get in to Castle Market one more time before it closes.

I know Castle Market is a dump now, but its only going to be worse once everybody has moved elsewhere. I have to walk through it twice a day, and i'm dreading having to do it alone when there is nobody else arround to deter muggers etc. At least its a case of safety in numbers down there right now.