Outstanding Food The Nags Head Loxley/Bradfield!

I've had some great meals in the Nags, decent portions and nicely cooked, as others have mentioned the pie is cracking. The Old Horns seems a bit hit and miss, last time i was there had the ribs and wasn't very impressed, but on previous visits I had reasonable food there too.

I admit I've had enjoyable meals in The Horns but I am talking when Gordon and Mike had it probably five or more years ago. Another thing just struck me as well as the food being excellent there were little vases on each table with fresh flowers in and some on the bar and windowsill. I noticed but didnt if you know what I mean but its just struck me as a nice touch - cant think of where else I've seen it. The Miley do candles which I like as it fits with the vibe and I've seen lots of fake flowers but I cant think of any Sheffield Place other than that I've seen it (maybe once in the Milestone actually, kinda rings a bell).

Edited by Smack Jack

I admit I've had enjoyable meals in The Horns but I am talking when Gordon and Mike had it probably five or more years ago. Another thing just struck me as well as the food being excellent there were little vases on each table with fresh flowers in and some on the bar and windowsill. I noticed but didnt if you know what I mean but its just struck me as a nice touch - cant think of where else I've seen it. The Miley do candles which I like as it fits with the vibe and I've seen lots of fake flowers but I cant think of any Sheffield Place other than that I've seen it (maybe once in the Milestone actually, kinda rings a bell).

SmackJack

I am almost dreading asking this question - but will risk it as I do want to know the answer - do they allow kids? (they are 11 and 13)

Lol sorry I dont know. I saw a dog but thats nothing like the same:hihi:. I would guess so but I honestly dont think I saw one while I was there

We went to the Nags head recently on the recommendation of someone else and it was really nice.

I agree about the Old Horns I'm afraid. It used to be lovely but I don't go in anymore as the standard seemed to slip.

I think thats my point with the horns. I mean it wasnt truly revolting but its a stunning pub with great views and something a little more than warmed up freezer food and prebagged salad is required to make it great and it just didnt deliver. Maybe it was my choice, a caesar salad. This proved to be a deconstructed salad of the individual ingredients. Ie a pile of salad, three frozen chicken breasts, three over salty bacon rashers and a pile of big croutons, with caesar sauce and cheese on top. I just thought the ingredents were a bit poor and didnt like the fact it wasnt what I would call a caesar as nothing was brought together. Other people though may love it.

That view though! I got that table for two near the door where you can see the whole valley. That is a nice place to sit with a drink

Lol sorry I dont know. I saw a dog but thats nothing like the same:hihi:. I would guess so but I honestly dont think I saw one while I was there

Okay........ will give them a ring to check.

Sorry I genuinely have no involvement in the place but I am passionate about food and drink - you may have seen me pop up on several Milestone threads as well as debates about Indians, Chinese places etc.

What are you suggesting, that I'm some sort of Bradfield 'plant'

I've been drinking there, usually in the summer, for over 25 years. It's a pleasant 5 mile return walk from my house, hence the summer visits.

Since Bradfield took it over, the beer has improved no end. Hardly surprising when it's gone from 1 cask ale that was Kimberley to 6 cask ales as a 'brewery tap'. I now regularly have a walk out there at all times of the year, the last time being Boxing Day afternoon.

The food has been hit and miss since I've been going in. Since Bradfield Brewery took the pub the food has always been superb.

I wasn't suggesting anything about you. Twas about the OP

I wasn't suggesting anything about you. Twas about the OP

Thats the trouble with the forum cynics. Nobody can like anything without owning it or having a vested interest. Read my posts. I'm in the car trade and like a meal out thats all. My contributions on various food topics on here may confirm that for you.

Steak pie at the Nags is the best I've ever had (even better than my Mums). Would never eat in the Horns again after the last meal we had there - it was awful! My answer to the standard question "Did you enjoy your meals" was "No" - this was totally ignored so needless to say we won't be eating their again.

Steak pie at the Nags is the best I've ever had (even better than my Mums). Would never eat in the Horns again after the last meal we had there - it was awful! My answer to the standard question "Did you enjoy your meals" was "No" - this was totally ignored so needless to say we won't be eating their again.

Careful Damo will be accusing you of sleeping with someone from Bradfield Brewery next :hihi:

I am only kidding I am not wound up and hes probably joking anyway but you gotta have a swipe back

Edited by Smack Jack