Who remembers being caned at school?

Like most lads in my class I had the cane for some misdemeanour or other. If

you drew your hand away and he missed ,he would catch the back of your hand on the way back up,and that was an extra, Our woodwork teacher was a Scot,and his favourite weapon was a strap. He would make sure the strap would reach up to your wrist,very painful. One teacher would call you out to the front and then strike the lamp shade with his cane and say "Seconds out"before laying it on your hand. All part of being a shcoolboy in my day.

i got slippered at st stephens school for dis-respecting mrs briggs :o

i was copying everything she said for a dare didnt do it again ever not for 10 refresher chews :hihi::hihi::hihi:

In junior school I was hit with board rubbers,slippers, rounders bats & a stool ball bat. I also was slapped, had my hair pulled & was thumped in the middle of my back...mostly for getting work wrong, & slight misdemeanors, such as running in the corridor or forgetting my games kit.

Life was much simpler in secondary school....They only hit us with canes:D

I still think now that the poorer the teacher the more they hit you !

Teacher at Gleadless Middle school in the 70s was well known for chucking board rubbers at lads sat on the back bench. he was the one who gave the slipper & smacked on hand with 12" wooden ruler.

The sad thing is now kids get caned everyday at school, but not the wooden stick kind.

If punishments like this were still allowed then there might be a bit more discipline installed into the youth of today, and maybe gun/knife crime would not be as high as it is.

Because seriously did being caned turn us all into the monsters that we have on our streets today???? i think not

I was caned in front of the whole school at assembly, amongst several others, for ditching our homework. Discrimination crept in even in those years (middle 50's) as the girl offenders were given a verbal warning. The school was Owler Lane and the "Caner" was Albert Lupton, an ex Royal Marine PTI. Any forumers remember him??

Funny you should say that about discrimination Jossman. I can't remember a single instance where a girl got assaulted by the teachers.

My school was Norton County (now Mundella), & the chief sadist was a Mr Morris, who was ex army...what a surprise !!!

We lads who got caned on a daily basis had a secret substance that we rubbed into our hands..it was found dumped on Winkobank Tip..We called it "Canebreak"..it actually was "Mica" that was used for Electrical insulation... It made your hands sparkle.....But we believed it had magical powers...we used to misbehave in class so we could test it out.

i got the slipper in't juniors for being pushed out of dinner queue by david concannon,the head master mr williamson did this,then i got cane in't seniors from mr cooke the metalwork teacher for not paying attention.what i do remember is a teacher we used to call deadly headly he was famed for administering punishment with his board ruler that was cracked one end, i was lucky enough not to sample this tho.

Guest Ant

I was never caned myself, but I remember an occassion when one of my friends was being particularly cheeky to the teacher and was caned for it.

He met us after school and showed us the mark - a deep red, long swollen blister at the top of his leg. The poor kid was in shock. He wasn't crying, but you could see how deeply it had affected him. He just kept pulling his trousers down to look at it and looking back at us in horror. No kid deserves that.

We lads who got caned on a daily basis had a secret substance that we rubbed into our hands..it was found dumped on Winkobank Tip..We called it "Canebreak"..it actually was "Mica" that was used for Electrical insulation... It made your hands sparkle.....But we believed it had magical powers...we used to misbehave in class so we could test it out.

S'funny how caning had it's own myths. I remember stories of "He's got a split cane that splinters and rips your hands". Another one was the cane being wrapped around with black tape on the end bit, supposedly to give a heavier thwack. The one reality was the bruising to the fingers and the retort from Dad, you deserved it!! Nowadays the parents would be suing for ABH. How times change.

I was caned in Junior school...for moving in the playground after the whilstle was blown. We were supposed to stand still.

Was slippered regularly at Grammar School by the maths teacher who thought it a joke to to pick on me all the time. (the other kids would encourage him)

Although he was well out of order, and it wouldn't happen today, I still believe banishing corporal punishment was a big mistake.

You knew bloody well that if you did ow't wrong the stick was waiting for you.

Oh...and another one when you got home if mi Dad found out.