Jobs in sheffield

I wonder how much people realistically earn from this kind of thing...

http://fiverr.com

Maybe not so much; but if you can come up with something that's largely automated, and do a high volume of low value sales, that doesn't take up your whole day...

You know, it's a start, and who knows where it may lead. Seems better that spending time applying for jobs.

I'd agree on the whole but to be successful I think you need an enterprise where you add value through your own time and effort. Anything automated via the internet is unlikely to be highly lucrative unless you have an original idea. If duplicating what's out there you have to add value to be on the money.

There are lots of network marketing businesses that are low entry in terms of cost but very successful for individuals prepared to put the graft in but unfortunately few will. Companies like Avon, Betterware, Kleeneze, Herbalife and Utility Warehouse have a system and if you follow it the cash will come.

Absolutely agree that doing something is better than waiting for the offers to come in

What line of business are you in anyway? It's obvious you have your own company and before you judge this person.....

1/ You don't even know what his qualifications are without asking

2/ You don't know if his CV is just a standard one or whether he has had one done by a professional

3/ Have you even looked at what jobs are genuine and what are available?

4/How do you even know his applications are awful? Were you there when he applied for jobs?

5/He is obviously applying for jobs he is qualified to do, he wouldn't apply for something he can't do

Who says he is judging anyone?

It sounded like good advice to me, perhaps the OP should take head and also be grateful that this person has spend the time taken to respond.

The other day I spent hours filling in an application, revising and then taking a test. Only to be then emailed afterwards to say that they had already previously filled the position but thanks for taking the time to apply.

At least I got an acknowledgment I suppose...

I pretty much always get a response from an employer to tell me that they have received my application, even if it is an automated generic response. I'd say I only get about a third of responses to tell me if I have or haven't got to the interview stage. And I'd say I get an interview about 1 in every 30 or so applications.

If you have applied for 250 jobs it generally means that:

1) a large amount of the jobs you were not suitably qualified to do and applied for them as a punt. There's no way, unless you're talking about a 4 year period, that you were qualified for 250 jobs in the city of Sheffield.

2) you are sending out a generic CV/ covering letter to each one without paying special attention to the job description and person specification.

Regarding point 2, consider having to trawl through 50 applications for a single job. Any which have not bothered to tailor their CV and covering letter for the role advertised I am not even going to bother considering.

Narrow your search and personalise your applications even if it means walking in to places to introduce yourself to the management.

You also state that you are not hearing back from jobs for which you have 30 years experience and exceptional references. This can only mean that your applications are awful. Get a professional to look over your CV as something is clearly wrong

I would admit some of the jobs in the 250 are no good for me but that's out of desperation. I have had a C.V professionally made.I am registered with all the job sites that the job center advises to which most are agency's. No other jobs are available on the net and I am not in a financial position now due to low income ( benefits of £17.34 a week ) to go traveling around to firms besides when I do go to firms they always say drop your c.v in to them.

I understand that some employers get inundated with applications to which it would not hurt to have a automatic response to requests to say if you have not heard after 7 days consider yourself unsuccessful.

Are you talking about electronic applications, or posting your CV?

I would admit some of the jobs in the 250 are no good for me but that's out of desperation. I have had a C.V professionally made.I am registered with all the job sites that the job center advises to which most are agency's. No other jobs are available on the net and I am not in a financial position now due to low income ( benefits of £17.34 a week ) to go traveling around to firms besides when I do go to firms they always say drop your c.v in to them.

I understand that some employers get inundated with applications to which it would not hurt to have a automatic response to requests to say if you have not heard after 7 days consider yourself unsuccessful.

I completely agree. It's a poor show if an employer can't be bothered to reply in some way. After all if you've taken the time to apply they should find the time to respond. I don't think it's acceptable not to respond especially if the company has posted the vacancy and you've done everything they asked. That said, it's not likely to change and it's not worth spending time worrying about it as it won't help you achieve your objective of finding employment.

So, to return to the original question, what are you going to do differently? If 250 applications haven't resulted in a job then another 250 aren't likely to. And automating the process, which will mean your applications are less personal, is not likely to improve your chances although it may mean you spend less time applying. So something different needs to be tried. Which returns me to the points on my previous posts about networking with people you know and looking at self employment

Are you talking about electronic applications, or posting your CV?

I am talking about the on-line applications. Through the likes of job sites.

---------- Post added 19-02-2014 at 12:17 ----------

I completely agree. It's a poor show if an employer can't be bothered to reply in some way. After all if you've taken the time to apply they should find the time to respond. I don't think it's acceptable not to respond especially if the company has posted the vacancy and you've done everything they asked. That said, it's not likely to change and it's not worth spending time worrying about it as it won't help you achieve your objective of finding employment.

So, to return to the original question, what are you going to do differently? If 250 applications haven't resulted in a job then another 250 aren't likely to. And automating the process, which will mean your applications are less personal, is not likely to improve your chances although it may mean you spend less time applying. So something different needs to be tried. Which returns me to the points on my previous posts about networking with people you know and looking at self employment

As I am claiming benefits I have to be seen actively looking for work and must apply for as many jobs as are suitable but after one week all the jobs for my experience have all dried up so nothing available to apply for.

I am unable to start my own business as I have no capital to start and also was bankrupt in the past.

As an employer I think you need to understand some of the basics of running a business.

My number one job is to ensure I have enough cash coming in to pay my overheads (including wages; which, BTW, is my most favorite payment I make every month).

At the end of the day, I employ people for my benefit, not the other way round. I am the one who takes all the risks and, if things go wrong, the buck stops with me.

As Barrie says earlier in the thread, I have neither the time, or patience, to reply to those who simply blind copy me (and every man and his dog) because it does not give me any confidence that the individual really wants to work for me, rather they simply wanting a job (which is admirable in its own right, but is not enough). Employing people is time consuming, costly and I need to know that the person applying is right for me.

So, to the OP, you need to get into the mindset of the employer. What is it you have to offer, over and above anyone else? If you cannot answer that question of yourself, then don't even bother applying for that job. If they do not reply, then they were never right for you in the first place.

I wish you every luck in finding gainful employment...what about working for yourself?

I am talking about the on-line applications. Through the likes of job sites.

---------- Post added 19-02-2014 at 12:17 ----------

As I am claiming benefits I have to be seen actively looking for work and must apply for as many jobs as are suitable but after one week all the jobs for my experience have all dried up so nothing available to apply for.

I am unable to start my own business as I have no capital to start and also was bankrupt in the past.

This is a big problem, because the jobcentre make unemployed people send C.V's to random companies that aren't even advertising for staff, I recieve 4 or 5 C.V's through the post every day. I'm sorry to say that like many other business owners, i have better things to spend my time on than reading peoples C.V's when im already fully staffed.

How much do you think you need to start a business?

What is it with employers nowadays, I sent well over 250 applications out and only 2 replies. and they are agencies for jobs that don't exist:confused:

I tell you what it is pal...You are looking in the wrong place.

If you wait until a job is advertised, then you are competing with thousands of others. That reduces your chances of being picked out of the pile, by a lot.

Also, do you know that your CV (or application letter) is not necessarily read by a human being in the first instance? These are scanned by computers that are trained to look for specific words or phrases. That's how the majority of first "short list" candidates are screened. Do you know what the key words are for the type of job for which you are applying? Do you have them in your application letter or CV? If not, then it's hardly surprising your strike rate is so low.

But the bigger point is this...

Over 70% of jobs are NEVER advertised. You find them through other means, like DIRECT contact and NETWORKING.

You have a slightly better chance of getting a job that's advertised than winning the lottery, but not much better.

Have a re-think about how you are approaching this and if you want any advice I will be pleased to offer it. And no, I am not in business doing this as a service and I am not looking to charge for it. I nearly lost everything myself once and if I can help others to realise some of the things I had to learn, before it's too late, then I'm happy to try and do that.

Good luck!:)

Have you got any real evidence of CVs being computer screened? Most of the agencies can barely configure mail merge functions, so I seriously doubt they are using CV scanning programs.