Newfield School in the 1960s and 70s.

Hi this is an update on an earlier thread which had a typo in it so anyone searching for Newfield School wouldn't have found it. Here is my original post:

[The Yorkshire Film Archive recently obtained nine films from Newfield School, mostly from the 1960s, but including one from 1956 (?), one from 1970 and one from 1977. Does anyone remember these films - either being in them or being involved in making them? They feature school sports and trips out. One in particular, from 1968, features a fashion/needlwork show at the Grosvenor Hotel with clothes made by students from the school.]

The films are well made, some are fictional and quite funny. There must be many around who feature in the films and haven't seen them for many years. It would be great to hear from anyone.

Hi this is an update on an earlier thread which had a typo in it so anyone searching for Newfield School wouldn't have found it. Here is my original post:

[The Yorkshire Film Archive recently obtained nine films from Newfield School, mostly from the 1960s, but including one from 1956 (?), one from 1970 and one from 1977. Does anyone remember these films - either being in them or being involved in making them? They feature school sports and trips out. One in particular, from 1968, features a fashion/needlwork show at the Grosvenor Hotel with clothes made by students from the school.]

The films are well made, some are fictional and quite funny. There must be many around who feature in the films and haven't seen them for many years. It would be great to hear from anyone.

Are there any films of the plays which they did, my OH was in a production, perhaps Shakespeare as he was wearing tights in an implicating photo we have! This would be somewhere between 1962-65.

I'm afraid we don't have anything pre-1965, but there is film of a school production of Hobson’s Choice from 1968. The film we have from 1965 has an English Lit. class, an art class, the Cross Country Championships and a puppet show of the court scene from Wind in the Willows. If you have any interesting stories from that time I'll be pleased to hear them.

I'll ask my OH and get back to you.

Regards,

Duffems

It would appear that one of the Newfield teachers Mr.Davison (also taught at Carfield up to 1962 when Carfield closed and pupils/staff transferred to Newfield) had connections with a small theatre in Upperthorpe (Lantern, I think). That''s where the play took place not at Newfield as I thought, the pupils were from Newfield.

Duffems

It would appear that one of the Newfield teachers Mr.Davison (also taught at Carfield up to 1962 when Carfield closed and pupils/staff transferred to Newfield) had connections with a small theatre in Upperthorpe (Lantern, I think). That''s where the play took place not at Newfield as I thought, the pupils were from Newfield.

Duffems

The Lantern theatre is not in Upperthorpe it is on Kenwood Park Road, Netheredge. There was a theatre in upperthorpe up the hill from the baths can't remember the name

I'm afraid we don't have anything pre-1965, but there is film of a school production of Hobson’s Choice from 1968. The film we have from 1965 has an English Lit. class, an art class, the Cross Country Championships and a puppet show of the court scene from Wind in the Willows. If you have any interesting stories from that time I'll be pleased to hear them.

I remember Hobson's Choice - I THINK Christine Owen was in it - the model who went on to appear in Sale of the Century!

One of the films from Newfield School held by the Yorkshire Film Archive is now online. So, if anyone was there in 1969, you might make an appearnce:

Newfield School 1969

If so you could put something in the 'Comments' section.