The Writers' Group introduction thread.

Hi there

I've been visiting the Sheffield forum on and off for many years and didn't realise until today that there was a section dedicated to writers.

I've always had a fondness for science fiction and written the odd short story. I'm currently in the process of planning my first book. I'm not aiming for anything grandiose as i dont wish to overwhelm myself.

Now that I have found this section for the forum, I think I shall be visiting more often

James

Well it looks like I'm the first newcomer to post here in 2012 so first off Happy New Year to everyone and lets all hope for some joy.

I've been writing stories for years but always called them letters to family and friends. Now I'd like to try writing to strangers for a change. Hope you don't mind.

m

Hello! Like others who have posted in this introduction thread, I didn't know that Sheffield Forum had its own writers' group. I've been lurking around for ages on Sheffield Forum whenever I needed useful information or gossip on something Sheffield related but this is the first time I've signed up.

I'm a novelist and I'm currently writing my second novel. I've recently published my first novel Outside Inside on the Amazon Kindle and I'm aiming to start a new independent publishing company based in Sheffield: Ramraid Press. The name sums up me and my writing: Derbyshire bred, lots of attitude and excitement and with a vegetarian/vegan angle.

I'm planning to produce a paperback version of Outside Inside by late Spring / early summer. I'll keep you posted. I decided to self-publish in the spirit of punk rock. I've put a lot of work into my novel and I want it to be out there for people to read.

I'm a graduate of the Writing MA at Sheffield Hallam University and first came to Sheffield in 1995 to study English Literature at the University of Sheffield.

I also run the Sheffield Novel Group: a writing group for novelists, as I found that writing groups tend to be focussed on shorter fiction and novelists needed a "support group" to motivate each other through the long-haul of the writing process. PM me if you're interested in joining. It's totally free!

My novel is available on the Kindle store on Amzon.co.uk. The title is Outside Inside by Anne Grange. It's set in Derby and Somerset but it was written in Sheffield. There's a great Sheffield novel in me somewhere though! You can download the first two chapters for free.

Hi all! I'm new to the Sheffield Forum and Writers Group but not to Sheffield.

Looking to kick-start my fledgling writing career through a 5 year (stalinist-style) plan designed to end in offline publication of a full-blown book.

Phase One started yesterday when I started a blog (writingwithwater(dot)com) and joining this group is Phase 1.1.

Thus far there have been no purges or deaths :)

Edited by thomashalve

Hi. I joined the forum specifically for the writers' group. And now I can't think of what to write in my first post.

I'm in my thirties, live in Sheffield and have an interest in writing. I've done some creative writing classes, but although I enjoy the 'arty' stuff (poetry and short stories mostly) what I'm interested in is scripts and screenplays for film or (preferably) television. Crime drama especially, although not exclusively.

My current writing heros are Bruno Heller and Donald P. Bellisario, creators of The Mentalist and NCIS respectively. They're series aimed squarely at the popular market, so not too demanding, but witty and smart enough to keep me entertained (ignoring NCIS after it jumped the shark in series 5 - funnily enough about when Bellisario left).

Don't get me wrong, I love deeply things like The Wire and Wallander (Danish version only tho) but:

1) I could never write stuff as good as this, seriously never.

2) Ok, they got on TV - but check out how many countries NCIS is syndicated to.

I'd rather work out something that could sell and try and do it as well as possible, than write something great then have to work out how to sell it.

I joined the forum hoping someone with a similar point of view might be interested in helping develop some pilot scripts to submit to production companies. I have a few ideas and one or two mostly done treatments (is that the correct term? I mean like extended outlines), but I'm not sure if they're the sort of stuff that would work.

If there's anyone out there who recognises the dream and thinks they could help, please PM.

Anyhoo, thanks for reading. :)

Hello, I joined the forum so I could have a go at writing. I have just submitted my first short story, go easy on me aye. I know I have some learning to do Jk

Welcome Sci Fi and Marriot, I hope you both find what you're looking for in the group. Sci Fi, thank you for jumping straight in with a story in the monthly competition. Marriot, I well understand you wanting to write for a market, and I wish you the best of luck, but markets are such capricious things, it seems to me. TV producers would ideally like something exactly like the last thing that sold, but different. Yet, would you have predicted success for Dowton Abbey? Shameless? It's a tough one!

Hello.

Welcome to the Sheffield Forum Writers' Group.

Use this thread to introduce yourself to the other members and tell everyone a little bit about yourself.

My name is Eric I am 67 year old retired and bored , I had a job witch I loved and stretched my brain sorting out and solving problems (Job Estate Manager)

I am Married , we have a motor home and like travelling about.

I have had stories going around in my head for years and I would like to try and write a book to keep my brain simulated.

eric

Hello All

I write and draw Graphic Novels that are set in Sheffield under the company name CDComics. So far I've produced 12 comics to download off the Internet, that's 8 Graphic Novels on CDrom in Sheffield shops. The Surreal Murder Mysteries are proving most popular locally and Meadowhell: The True Horror of Shopping has been most successful. I have a blog at http://cdgraphicnovels.blogspot.co.uk that has lots of sample pages and independent reviews from UK and US websites

cheers

Craig

Edited by CraigDaley
outdated information

Hi

I've just moved back to Sheffield after four long years away in not-so-sunny Nottingham.

My favourite books to read are crime thrillers and where they are chasing an ancient artefact. I love David Baldacci especially the camel club series.

Over the years I have read all sorts and loved the three musketeers, Prisoner of Zenda and the Count of Monte Cristo although I never got Orlando.

I too love NCIS and the Mentalist, but my latest favourite was Inspector Montalbano, which has now finished, sadly.

I have dabbled as a writer for some time, but never finish any of the non fiction. I did used to blog for an online industry magazine which was quite well received.

I suppose I could always become a master criminal if this writing thing doesn't pan out.

f

Welcome Eric, Craig and Frasier. Frasier, I have recently performed the return move from Sheffield to Nottingham (not entirely by choice I should add before you reprimand me) after three interesting years in Sheffield. I hope you will continue to dabble with the writing and maybe we can help you to finish something for a change. Cheerio :)

Hi, all

Just joined this forum group and thought I would introduce myself.

I am an avid fan of fantasy novels, rings, song of ice and fire etc...

Looking forward to seeing what others have created and sharing some of my own work soon as well.