My Renault Clio - Mechanic help PLEASE

Hi

I have had my Clio about 2 weeks now, I know it is due a service and I need to change the timing belt on it.

In the last few days, the brakes have started squeeking, does anyone have any idea what this could be and how much it would cost to fix? Can I take it to any garage or does it have to be Renault?

Also, today I started my car and the rev counter went up, then down ( like normal ) and then started waving up and down until it stalled. I looked at the dash board to see the " electrical fault " light lit up. I noticed this came on last night but only for a few seconds before it went out. I started the car again and it did exactly the same, until the third time and it was fine. When it was waving up and down on the rev counter I managed to put my foot on the accelerator a bit to see if it would stop it and I found that all of the dashboard lights and clock were diming / brightening with it. What is this likely to be? It is an 02 plate on 44,000 miles and hasn't been serviced for 2 years, although in the last 2 years it has only done about 12,000 miles. I need to change the timing belt and get it serviced so i'm going to have to take it to a garage and spend a fortune I think, though my dads friend is a mechanic and says he will do the timing belt and service for £200, which is great.

Please reply as soon as you can because it's got me really worked up this electrical problem that has just happened whilst I was out 10 minutes ago. I have to drive to York on Wednesday!

(P.S the symbol looked like a coil on the bottom and i think a battery on the top. )

Thanks

Steve

It sounds like the engine management light.

Could be serious - have it looked at by a professional technician.

Thankyou RiffRaff, I am just looking in the manual now. I know exactly which symbol it is, I will type out what the handbook says.

Electronic fault and preheating warning light

( They are both one light )

Preheating warning light. This light should come on when the key is in position "M"; it indicates that the heater plugs are switched on. It goes out after preheating is sufficient and the engine can be started.

Electronic fault warning light

If this light lights up while you are driving it indicates an electrcial or electronic fault. Consult your Renault Dealer as soon as possible.

Fantastic little book though i must say, at the end of everything pretty much it says "Consult your Renault Dealer".. excellent.

Anyway, it says if anything serous happens the "STOP" light will also start up, that is not on and so it should be ok. Anyway, could it be something to do with the pre-heating, as I hadn't really set off? Maybe I should have left it in the "M" position until it went out instead of just putting the key in and turning it? I've only been driving 6 months so i'm new to things like this, should I have to do that? It came on for a few seconds though whilst I was driving yesterday but not for long. The light went out after I actually managed to set off today, but also many people complain about it in other forums. I hope it is just pre-heating, that is me being optimistic though. I had been driving the car about 10 mins before, I was literally just picking something up, infact a fishtank my Girlfriend bought from someone in Sheffield Forum lol.

Please reply,

Thankyou for your help!

Steve

you may well find that a service cures your problem, when i serviced our clio, the same problem was cured.

your dads friend is not doing you any favours doing a service and cambelt for £200 - thats about normal garage rates.

a new belt is around £10 and its around 1-1.5 hours to fit it. ( i'm an ex mechanic with 16 years experience & used to work for renault).

Funny that, my Dad's friend is called Dan and i'm sure from S10!

He lectures now at uni, mechanics. ANyway, I know the belts don't cost much but apparently Renault are quoting people £500 ( clubclio.com ) and at a normal garage it's £300 ( same site ). I also work for Gilders Volkswagen on Eccallsall road at weekends and so they do me jobs for cheap, only problem is, I no longer have my Polo ( it's for sale ) and i'm waiting for a quote from them on doing it, last time I got something daft like 80% off labour! Do you still have any tools Dan? Would you still be able to do that kind of thing? I probably shouldn't ask but if i pay you ( saying Dan is away ) is there any chance you would be able to do it? I mean i'm in a rush to get the timing belt changed now I've lost trust in my car I want to make sure i do everything right, and i think the other Dan is on holiday for a week or something, going to have to revert to the L reg Polo again for a bit I think ( It's for sale ) but means me paying out again on some more insurance ( I'm 18, it's £1600 for a year! So even a week is a lot ). A bit skint because I've just bought the car but Mum will lend me some she says.

Hi Nutbrown,

I too own a Clio, 06 plate. The brakes squeeking normally means the brake discs/pads are on there way out though wont cause you any major issues in the meantime. Can normally get them replaced for under £100 and doesn't take them long to do either.

With the other faults you reported, I would get it in to a garage. Just my opinion but steer clear of Renault/Reg Vardy, they are rip off merchants. Yes you know your car is in good hands (supposingly) but they charge a heck of a lot more due to being a big name dealer. Just take it to a general garage and they will do the same job for a lot less money.

Only last week I was unfortunate enough for my driver door to get caught in a meha heavy gust of wind which slammed it open at some speed causing the door to drop and cath the latch when shut. A minor issue but needed putting right. Reg Vardy on Eccy road did this for me but charged £164.50!! Although it is now fixed I found it rather steep for such a minor issue!!

Mine was also due for it's first service last year and the mechanic light came on informing me of this. They said it would cost over £200 + vat just for the first 10k service which is a very basic service! Had it done at a local garage by a guy who is the friend of a friend and same job done and cost me under £100!! They charge through the eye balls and I find the customer service in there rather crap at times too, particularly the receptionists when you call up. They have transferred your call before you have finished speaking!

is it a diesel? just with a mention of the pre heaters bit? if it is and only does this when you first start the car , it could the be glowplugs on their way out.

dimming lights is usually battery not having enough charge in it so could need a new battery or alternator.

never ever ever ever take it to dealerships! always find a good indy, usually via word of mouth, as you will save a fortune.

if you need to use the other car, just have it added to your insurance for a month, ring the insurance company and ask how much they can do it for. :thumbsup:

edit: just read that you work at gilders on a weekend? bung one of the lads some cash and ask em to do a guvvy... mate works for toyota and earns a fortune doing extra jobs on his own time.

never ever ever ever take it to dealerships! always find a good indy, usually via word of mouth, as you will save a fortune.

Exactly, they charge you at least double the normal garage would charge you.

Best sticking with the word of mouth or the friend of a friend recommendation.

If you've only had it 2 weeks can you not take it back to where you bought it? It doesn't sound fit for purpose to me.

As to Reg Vardy, they wanted £65 just to put my car on their diagnostic machine. I knew what was wrong, the rear windscreen wiper didn't work! I asked them if the £65 would be taken off the price of the repair - no chance.

Funny that, my Dad's friend is called Dan and i'm sure from S10!

He lectures now at uni, mechanics. ANyway, I know the belts don't cost much but apparently Renault are quoting people £500 ( clubclio.com ) and at a normal garage it's £300 ( same site ). I also work for Gilders Volkswagen on Eccallsall road at weekends and so they do me jobs for cheap, only problem is, I no longer have my Polo ( it's for sale ) and i'm waiting for a quote from them on doing it, last time I got something daft like 80% off labour! Do you still have any tools Dan? Would you still be able to do that kind of thing? I probably shouldn't ask but if i pay you ( saying Dan is away ) is there any chance you would be able to do it? I mean i'm in a rush to get the timing belt changed now I've lost trust in my car I want to make sure i do everything right, and i think the other Dan is on holiday for a week or something, going to have to revert to the L reg Polo again for a bit I think ( It's for sale ) but means me paying out again on some more insurance ( I'm 18, it's £1600 for a year! So even a week is a lot ). A bit skint because I've just bought the car but Mum will lend me some she says.

i can do it for you but not until next monday.

need to ask some questions before confirming an exact price for you (which i'll PM or confirm by phone).

year of car & reg plate

current mileage (to double check exactly which service is due).

enging size

petrol/diesel

if you want to discuss things further, my contact number is on the URL below.

regards

dan

I have An OBDC2 connector and the software for this car (in fact most cars) I needed it when I had an Alfa and the engine management light kept comming on with new and interesting problems on a weekly basis, alfa was costing 70 quid to turn it off...

if u want me to have a look on the diags PM me and will sort something out and I'll do it for nothing..

Thankyou so much for your offer STT-Jag, and thank you all for your advice! and Thankyou Dan for your offer. I have just booked it into a garage for everything to be done on it. He said it would cost between £175 to £200. It was getting a bit desperate and I had to do it as soon as possible. Thankyou so much for your advice and offers for help

Thanks again

Steve