Re Crooke and Hackett family names

Hi Shane here from New Zealand. I realise this is historical and a lot to read here. Not everyones cup of tea.

For awhile now I have been trying to find the family name of Crooke from 1861 and earlier.Seeking decendants of Milward Crooke 1828,Chaplain to the Armed Forces Crimean War and Emily 1838 ( nee Hackett).

They lived at 84 Langsetts Road when their son Thomas Leslie Crooke was born March 04 1861 Sheffield.

He matriculated Edinburgh University in 1882 and arrived NZ in 1899 as Surgeon Crooke, Senior Medical Officer, before resigning in 1910 to private practice as Dr T L Crooke.He died Nov 1943 and is buried in the Liinwood Cemetery Christchurch NZ with his wife Janet Emily Crooke (nee Smith)

His sister Olive Louisa 1874 came to NZ as a pioneer pharmacist and served in WW1 sadly died in the bombing of the Queen's Guards Chapel London in 1943 during WW2 on her way home.

All the brothers died in various wars Charles W,George Douglas and Milward G Jnr.

Both Milward and Emily (nee Hackett) were born in Ireland as with some of their chldren.

I am seeking any ancestors of Crooke and Hackett names or information on childhoods ,schooling ,anything of Sheffield from 1861 hoping to publish a book about these early pioneers to NZ and their families.

(I am working from the Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke's autograph book as on website for UK history TV and Antiques Road Show Uk),which contains some very important and unusal autographs of great pioneers from The UK to around the world and NZ.

There are some 800-900 autographs in the Dr's book many others related to these families in one way or another.

Everyone will be acknowleged for helping.

Some info was sent to your Local Libraries Study in Sheffield....

Appreciate any advice or tips, photos,anything that can be used .Thanking all Shane in Christchurch NZ.

Hi Shane,

difficult one as it seems that once Thomas left Sheffield so did the rest of his family, here's what I have but you probably know all this anyway?

1861 Census.

Crooke family live at Wood View Mount, Langsett Road, they are:

Milward Crooke aged 33 Chaplain to armed forces born Ireland

Emily crooke aged 23 Wife to Milward born ireland

Thomas Leslie Crooke son to above aged 1 month born Sheffield

Sarah Hackett sister in law and Deputy Lieut's daughter aged 26 born Ireland

Lydia Cooke servant to family aged 63 born sheffield

Anne Howe Monthly nurse to family aged 52 born sheffield.

By the 1901 census the family were in Morningside , Edinburgh. Milward is 73 and Emily 63 both retired.

Daughters Olive aged 27 and Ann aged 21 both dispensary clerks were with them but it states both born in Ireland so it would seem that Milward and Emily went back to Ireland after 1861 ?? they are not on the English or Scottish census in 1871, 1881 or 1891 so this would appear to be correct. In addition in the house are Nora Dorman aged 39 described as a visitor born in Ireland along with Dorothy Dorman aged 10 born in Ireland but described as "grand daughter" ??

I have found Thomas Leslie in the 1891 census in Great King Street Edinburgh aged 30described as surgeon/physician and staying with a family by the name of Gregor. However, he is using the name Leslie as opposed to Thomas Leslie.

Sarah Hackett might have stayed in Sheffield but if she did I suspect that in 1869 she married a Charles Camm but then died shortly after in 1873... but may well have produced a child prior to her death.... I could follow this up but is any of it in the biography??

regards

Devlin

Hi Devlin just over whelmed at your response,I have some of the above info mostly from the census in 1861,but you have supplied additional info I would never have found.

I have some Gregor names in the autograph book that were unobatainable so far so probably that very family.Charles Edward Gregor,Jane Gregor,D Clunie Gregor, and Alfred Gregor.I have also many of the Dorman names.

Olive L Crooke came to NZ as a pioneer pharmacist and died in the bombing of the Queen's Guard Chapel 1943.

Annie Crooke as with all the family autographed the book, I have no info on.

Many of the autographs are related to the DR. in some way.

And yes I too have problems when he took his middle name Leslie and not Thomas.

I have nothing on Sarah Hackett ,except many other Hackett's from his mothers side.

I am once again so thankful for what you have done.Thomas Leslie Crooke has been so much of a mystery and his childhood is driving me batty trying to find something.

I have no doubt this Sheffield man derserves a book on his life. Thanks Shane NZ.

Sheffield Indexers have the following two baptisms in their database:

CROOKE, Beatrice Nora Jane (of Barracks, born 1862-07-07).

Baptised August 10, 1862, by Milward Crooke at Military Chapel, Hillsborough.

Parents name(s) are Emily & Milward (Chaplain to the Forces).

CROOKE, Thomas Leslie (of Barracks, born 1861-03-04).

Baptised April 14, 1861, by Milward Crooke at Military Chapel, Hillsborough.

Parents name(s) are Emily & Milward (Chaplain to the Force).

Hugh

In the same database, you can isolate all the baptisms from the Military Chapel, though you can't search on the minister's name. Looking through the A-E surnames (of those baptised) I found 22 baptisms performed by Milward CROOKE (sometimes transcribed as COOKE). The earliest was 9 Dec 1860 and the latest 27 Mar 1864, which may give a rough idea of how long the family was there. It also means that they were there at the time of the Sheffield Flood, but I cannot find a reference in the Flood Claims.

Hugh

Hi Hugh and thanks ever so much. very valueable info for me.I do have much about Thomas as recorded on the 1861 Census and like all his family they have autographed the future Dr's book. Beatrice has autographed as just Nora Jane Crooke on July 07.

The important part here is I never knew that their father Milward even though a Chaplain baptised his own children Thomas and BeatricE.Maybe all his children.

This is wonderful news for me to add to their records.Which I so appreciate each snippet. Dr Crooke a man from Sheffield,his life doesn't deserve to end in a pioneers grave in a cemetery.Thanks again Hugh,Shane NZ.

Shane,

the old army barracks at Hillsborough are still there.... albeit in a different format... supermarket...shops and a hotel. The hotel has retained some of the original features such as the old turrett/guard station and the jailhouse.. no doubt Hillsborough Barracks will be where Milward was stationed. The Barracks were/are on Penistone Road which runs sort of parallel with Langsett Road

...and the chapel itself still survives, although it was not used as a chapel for long. (St John's, Owlerton, which opened in the 1870's, became the 'soldiers' church'). I can't find a good photo online, even at PictureSheffield.

In this picture from Wikipedia, the chapel is the gabled building on the far right.

And in this picture the chapel is seen from the other direction, behind the tram.

Hugh

This Rootsweb message, from a Scottish list, is a list of CROOKE marriages and includes:

CROOKE, Milward Marr 1860 Irel King Birr

Sp: Emily HACKETT

The message doesn't explain the exact meaning of this or the source. I'm guessing the marriage took place in the town of Birr in King's County (Offaly)

Hugh

Some detailed genealogy here, but the glaringly wrong marriage date suggests that it should be treated with caution.

Hugh

Milward also appears in this archive but it not possible to say what or how much information it contains...

Lambeth Palace Library

Hugh

By the 1901 census ... In addition in the house are Nora Dorman aged 39 described as a visitor born in Ireland along with Dorothy Dorman aged 10 born in Ireland but described as "grand daughter"...

Nora DORMAN is the Beatrice Nora Jane CROOKE who was baptised in 1862. She married Richard Henry DORMAN in 1889, according to the pedigree I linked to above. I can't find a GRO entry so this may have been in Ireland.

Dorothy later married a cousin called HACKETT, just to confuse matters!

Hugh