History of Laycocks

Originally posted by chuffinel

bookie. I also rember a Sam Marsden who was a setter on the automatic lathes

Yes that was the bloke, I think Startup was our nickmame for him for him for some reason. Can anyone remember Jack Skelcey in chage of the apprentices

Cant remember the name. What section did he work in?

that must have been before my time. They were only making clutches and transmiissions when I was there

A guy that comes into the club where I work used to work there, call him Joe Winter, anyone used to work him?

Can any of you remember Keith Hilton or John (polly) Styring who worked in the clutch assembly as tool setters? ;)

Another name, a really nice asian gent. Tall and strong called 'Abdullah Khan' he worked there in the late seventies / early eighties. If anyone knew him please pm me.

owdlad I remember them both, Keith Hilton also worked at Jacobs Manufacturing up until it closed in 2002

We started dealing with LuK (Lamenel und Kupplendsbau) back in the 60's we considered them to pretty rubbish at clutch design at that time. It seems ironic that they took the firm over in the end. Good Old Maggie sold our country down the river

A guy that comes into the club where I work used to work there, call him Joe Winter, anyone used to work him?

My husband knew Joe Winter & his mate Roy Green ( Tool room). apparently they used to go round the clubs singing. He knows most of the other names posted plus loads more, what you would expect after 31 years.

My husband is Dennis Travis as mad a Sheffield United fan as I am.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

There is a memorial to Laycocks in the Sainsburys store on Archer Road. I think it is a stained glass pattern at the bottom of the travelator.

owdlad I remember them both, Keith Hilton also worked at Jacobs Manufacturing up until it closed in 2002

Michael do you have any contact with Keith these days? I would love to have a pint with him (although he was tighter than a...better not;) )