Alcohol purchasing Think 21 will soon be Think 25.

I have to be really careful about what I put on here as I know that people from my work monitor this site so I can't go into alot of detail..

But, where I work, there really shouldn't be any need to ask the cashier for ID..

Believe it or not, I can see where you're all coming from.. I can understand that it can be annoying being asked for ID, but please remember, its NOT the cashiers fault..

I'm going to have to leave this there..

Can you now understand why I have what I have in my sig ??.. :hihi:

;5008130']Just giving you all a heads up since I've seen a few threads on the subject that those stores that operate the governments 'Think 2'1 policy when selling alcohol and cigarettes will from the 25th of may change that to 'Think 25' on ALL age restricted goods. Basically if you're in your mid twenties or maybe early thirties even then expect to be refused alcohol regularly if you don't have ID. :rolleyes:

So it should be, if the majority of younger people can't handle drink, (and yes a lot of adults can't either), it should only be 25 yrs and up allowed to buy it.

I also think the driving age should be upto 21!!

Upping age limits etc is not always beneficial. If you ask me its a little naive to think it is a quick fix to a lifestyle problem which has been with us for centuries (drinking lots of alcohol).

I object to being forced to carry ID. In 5 years time it will be think 30!

Or even more likely, is 'don't think, do as instructed'

I have to be really careful about what I put on here as I know that people from my work monitor this site so I can't go into alot of detail..

But, where I work, there really shouldn't be any need to ask the cashier for ID..

Believe it or not, I can see where you're all coming from.. I can understand that it can be annoying being asked for ID, but please remember, its NOT the cashiers fault..

I'm going to have to leave this there..

Can you now understand why I have what I have in my sig ??.. :hihi:

And please remember that I'm not having a go at the cahsier, so please stop building that strawman

This whole ID mania of the past few years has gone way too far. Here's a recent article from the Register about ASDA and Tesco now asking people for ID to buy teaspoons. Teaspoons!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/asda_teaspoons/

Things aren't going to change until more people start either bursting into laughter when asked for ID or just leaving all of their shopping on the conveyor belt and walking out of the store. Alternatively, if you think that Think 21 and Think 25 are a bit ridiculous, start shopping at off licences that don't do it instead of supermarkets that do. Think 21 and Think 25 are only guidelines that supermarkets choose to follow, not actual laws. There's nothing illegal about selling a 19 year-old or 22 year-old alcohol without asking them for ID first.

Tesco are raising theirs to 25 because they were convicted of selling to underaged in Blackpool. Apparently the council there relentless pursued Tesco with endless sting operations till they finally got one.

As a shop worker, how are you spose to tell if someone is under a certain age?

Only was is to make it compulory to have ID to buy controlled items like Cigs, knives and booze.

Tesco are raising theirs to 25 because they were convicted of selling to underaged in Blackpool. Apparently the council there relentless pursued Tesco with endless sting operations till they finally got one.

As a shop worker, how are you spose to tell if someone is under a certain age?

Only was is to make it compulory to have ID to buy controlled items like Cigs, knives and booze.

Every little helps! :thumbsup:

This whole ID mania of the past few years has gone way too far. Here's a recent article from the Register about ASDA and Tesco now asking people for ID to buy teaspoons. Teaspoons!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/asda_teaspoons/

Things aren't going to change until more people start either bursting into laughter when asked for ID or just leaving all of their shopping on the conveyor belt and walking out of the store. Alternatively, if you think that Think 21 and Think 25 are a bit ridiculous, start shopping at off licences that don't do it instead of supermarkets that do. Think 21 and Think 25 are only guidelines that supermarkets choose to follow, not actual laws. There's nothing illegal about selling a 19 year-old or 22 year-old alcohol without asking them for ID first.

if people want the supermarkets, national off licence chains, and many reputable small retailers to stop with the ID'ing and Think 21/25 campaigns then they need to complain to their MP's about the constant test purchasing that is put upon these establishments, because that is why they do it.

they do it to minimise that chance that a member of staff will make a mistake and serve the wrong person, so training them to ask everyone who looks young (basically thats what its all about - 21/25 is just a number) to show ID will mean they do not risk prosecution.

however, if the disgruntled people of sheffield let the council know that they do not want retailers to be tested in this way, then they will likely drop the think 21/25 policies and be more relaxed about the issue, as they are lees liable to be prosecuted should someone make a mistake, or just down right not care who they serve.

nb, although think 21 is not a law, most licensed retailers are expected to be a member of the responsible retailer scheme in sheffield. which promotes the use of think 21/25 in all those premises.

if you are not a member of the scheme then you should expect to be tested to the hilt until you finally make one mistake and then pay the price.

I was asked for ID in M&S on Thursday to buy a mini bottle of Prosecco. It made my decade - I'm 44!!!!