Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

Thanks for replies. I don't think I know Lynda Frith unless she worked in the Treasury dept of Sheffield Town Hall. I knew some girls in 1953-1958 classes (year older than myself) Was your mum called Kathleen or Pauline.

I am actually looking for a copy of the photos published in Sheffield Star around 1957. I was in AGGS school choir. We did a Gilbert & Sullivan performance with full orchestra for the public and 2 pictures were published in the paper. The p.r. staff for The Starr cannot find these. Has anyonE a copy of these please?

This school is becoming an enigma to me. I went to AGGS from 1954 to 1958 leaving at the end of 4th year to go to work instead of staying on for the GCE. (Went to night school instead - did advanced English successfully). I have tried contacting several classmates and no-one ever answers. It's almost as if the school never existed. I recently read one comment "there's not many of us left now!" written by an older AGGS attendee and I am concerned. Are there any of you out there?

I made the comment about AGGS you referred to. I did get a reply from Australia. But you are right nobody seems to reply to the messages. I have a friend who is a few years older than me and she went to AGGS but so far I have a drawn a complete blank. I should love to hear from anybody who was there in my years 1942 to 1947.

Thanks for replies. I don't think I know Lynda Frith unless she worked in the Treasury dept of Sheffield Town Hall. I knew some girls in 1953-1958 classes (year older than myself) Was your mum called Kathleen or Pauline.

If this was a reply to my post, then unfortunately, no my Mum is called Doreen

Thanks Magjim and Convict 621. It seems almost as if AGGS never existed. I wrote to a few classmates registered with Friends Reunited, noone answered. Many of them are now living overseas, spread around the world. The only school photo we had, a cinemascopic picture of the entire school year(it had to be rolled up because of it's width) I left in Sheffield and never saw again.....One of the reasons I am searching for the pics printed in the Star.

There were only four houses in our year. Someone has added "MARVEL" as a fifth house.. Not too sure we had this one. Elizabeth Fry was the yellow house and I think Fry replace the name Marvel. As I remember from sports events only four colours: blue, green, yellow and red...cavell; darling; fry and nightingale.

There were only four houses in our year. Someone has added "MARVEL" as a fifth house.. Not too sure we had this one. Elizabeth Fry was the yellow house and I think Fry replace the name Marvel. As I remember from sports events only four colours: blue, green, yellow and red...cavell; darling; fry and nightingale.[/QUO

Thanks for the reply sidneygirl. I was in Elizabeth Fry House from 1942 to 1947 and the colour was blue, still have my badge somewhere I think. They obviously changed things round after that, but we definitely had Marvel as one of my friends was in it.

Yes they must have changed the houses. The yellow house was Fry. I wonder why they changed. I recently found there's a mountain in Canada named after nurse Edith Cavell. Wonder if the rest of the houses can be found in the Atlas.

Hi sidneygirl. The reason I remember these houses so well is someone (not me I hasten to add) made up a silly rhyme

"Cavell is a Marvell when she Frys her Darling Nightingale"

Never did find out who penned this, probably kept it quiet.

Anyway it was an easy way to remember the houses. This is complete nonsense but thought it might amuse you.

Just seen this old thread. I was in Nightingale but later on. From around 1960. Dr F.M.Green was Principal. An awesome lady!

Just seen this old thread. I was in Nightingale but later on. From around 1960. Dr F.M.Green was Principal. An awesome lady!

I shudder to think what Flo would think of the "inadequate school" ruling now being associated with Abbeydale Grange?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7954759.stm

Absolutely! She'll be turning in her grave. That was one of the best schools in Sheffield.