Cat needing tooth out- how much should it cost?

My cat has a painful tooth so I have booked him in at the vets, how much am I looking at for it to be taken out?

I know he will need to be anesthetised which will "bump" it up.

just don't want to have a heart attack when I am told the price.

cheers

£100

That's my guess. They might find he needs more out when they look though.

Depends how nifty you are with a pair of pliers

I claimed on my cat's insurance when she had a tooth out. I didn't think that they would cover it, but they did.

Ianto had 6 teeth out about a year ago, cost £225 I think from memory.

If your cat is young and healthy and there's just one tooth needing attention then I would say it's going to be somewhere between £150 and £200.

If, however, your beastie is getting on a bit then I'd recommend pre-anaesthetic blood tests to ensure that the op won't push him into kidney or liver failure, which will add about another £40 onto the bill, and if you need more than just one tooth extracting and a scale and polish on the rest then that will add to the bill too.

And of course, if he's having an extraction for an infection then he's likely to need Antirobe or other antibiotics to sort out the abscess or other soft tissue infection too- that's usually another £20 ish.

If he needs to go back for any follow ups you can price them up at 20 quid a throw too, and he may need some painkillers for the post-op days if he's had any major work done which work out at a few pounds a day on top of all of that.

Have I scared you enough? ;)

My cat has a painful tooth so I have booked him in at the vets, how much am I looking at for it to be taken out?

I know he will need to be anesthetised which will "bump" it up.

just don't want to have a heart attack when I am told the price.

cheers

Certainly not, if you have a heart attack, you won't be able to take the cat to the vet.

In this case, if you want to save money on tooth extraction, this is what you should do

1) attach some string to the cats tooth/your front door.

2) Make sure there is a little slack in the string.

3) give the cat a scratch pole to keep it amused

4) when the cats amused, close the door sharply.

5) the cats tooth is extracted

Thanks for all the replies

I'd say thanks for that Medusa but I think I'm in shock

He's about 11 yrs old and I haven't got him insured ( I know , I know before anyone says anything)

anyway he's booked in for tomorrow so hopefully he will be sorted.

will update this when I know the cost either that or "anyone want an 11 yr old cat !!!!!!.............joking

Edited by shazzamattazza

My cat had a few teeth removed when he was about 7and that was under £200.

Why not phone your vets and ask before its done?

I have actually done emergency cat dentistry with a pair of pliers, but that was on a very friendly and sweet cat whose tooth was trying very hard to fall out by itself and didn't resist coming out very much.

The cat in question was in enough pain that he hadn't eaten in a week and the normal vets weren't open for 3 days, and when the tooth that was causing the pain was out with a teeny bit of blood and a hiss, the first thing he did was to head for the dinner bowl, so I think he'd have been more traumatised by being put in a basket and dragged off to the vet. This was over in seconds and he was back purring on my lap on my next visit a couple of days later.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying it though, and I wouldn't do it again unless there was a similar situation of a tooth almost falling out by itself and the out of hours vet being the only alternative.

Just got back and not as bad as I thought, costwise that is.

He'll need 2 or 3 teeth out and that'll be £140 if when they have cleaned up the rest of his teeth and he needs more out that'd be a bit more.

He's in on Tuesday so he should be a happy cat once again.

Thanks for all the advice.