Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

This is what was said on the their website updated 9/3. Im trying to put in new measures such as compost heap to avoid paying..

09 March 2012

Residents who already have a green bin will have the option of keeping their bin and paying for a fortnightly collection service over the peak gardening season. Residents who do not have a green bin will have the option to purchase garden sacks.

The introduction of a chargeable garden waste collection service will mean that only those residents who wish to use the service will be required to pay. Residents with gardens who do not want to pay for a collection service will be able to dispose of their garden waste for free at any of the five Household Waste Recycling Centres located across the city or by home composting. A discounted home compost bin scheme is available, with prices from just £12.

Details of the new scheme will be agreed shortly between Sheffield City Council and Veolia Environmental Services. Residents should look out for more details coming soon!

For more information on green garden waste recycling in Sheffield, please visit: http://www.veolia.co.uk/sheffield or call: 0114 273 4567. If you are a Twitter user and wish to follow us then you can find the ‘Recycle4Sheffield’ profile page at: http://www.twitter.com/recycle4shef

I've just finished pruning trees and bushes and have a load of branches that won't compost and no transport to get them to the household waste site. I am a prime candidate for fly-tipping, but since I'm a good citizen the waste will just sit in my garden until I can work out how to get rid of it safely and in an environmentally friendly way. That may take a while.

This is what was said on the their website updated 9/3. Im trying to put in new measures such as compost heap to avoid paying..

09 March 2012

Residents who already have a green bin will have the option of keeping their bin and paying for a fortnightly collection service over the peak gardening season. Residents who do not have a green bin will have the option to purchase garden sacks.

The introduction of a chargeable garden waste collection service will mean that only those residents who wish to use the service will be required to pay. Residents with gardens who do not want to pay for a collection service will be able to dispose of their garden waste for free at any of the five Household Waste Recycling Centres located across the city or by home composting. A discounted home compost bin scheme is available, with prices from just £12.

I note they say nothing about those without the means to transport heavy green waste to a site. And it's the usual divide and rule argument about 'why should we pay when we don't use it?'. The same argument they'll use for the NHS before too long. We pay for services through taxation for the time when we might need them.

PS Has anyone else noticed that the Council Tax hasn't been frozen this year? It's gone up by a quid a month.

AT work (RMBC council area) we have both black and green bins. Alternating weekly collections.

The green bins are now able to collect green garden matter since stopping before Christmas.

If RMBC can do it why not Sheffield?

I've just finished pruning trees and bushes and have a load of branches that won't compost and no transport to get them to the household waste site. I am a prime candidate for fly-tipping, but since I'm a good citizen the waste will just sit in my garden until I can work out how to get rid of it safely and in an environmentally friendly way. That may take a while.

True, or unfortunately put them in your black bin when its not so full?

Crikey this is bad news for us, we have spent the last few years turning a hard landscaped garden that had lots of standing water when it rained into somewhere green and have started to actually grow some food. We have two composters that are almost full and no room for a third.

If the new service that replaces the old one costs then we will not be able to use it. We have different jobs than before and earn a lot less but just manage to scrape by, bit scary sometimes though.

Looks like the hedge will have to go and be replaced by pallet fencing as and when we can get some. The grass will probably have to go too and the nice green area will once again be paved - good job that we saved the stones.

I refuse to consider fly tipping but it is a shame that the area that took a lot of time and effort to turn into something half decent will end up looking like something from a warzone. I love all the birds and insects that have been moving in and we even had some bees living in the garden last year :(

Such a small thing will have a huge impact :(

N

From the Council's point of view, if every one did that, they'd miss their targets for reducing landfill use. As it is, what it means is more fly-tipping.

Thats the councils problem if people fill their bins, that is what they are for after all. I noticed three bins out up my road this morning and tonight when I got home there was at least one third of houses in the street that had put the green bins out.

Hi. I contacted Veolia and below is the reply they sent me by email.

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

You may be aware that Sheffield City Council has taken the decision to end funding for garden waste collections to save money on waste services.

Although a free service is no longer available, Veolia Environmental Services are able to offer you a chargeable green bin collection service. It is easy to use and the charge is a flat rate of £57.60 (including VAT) for a service between April and December 2012.

We are writing to all residents who currently have a green bin to offer a chargeable service, if you decide you do not wish to take up this service the letter also outlines a date to present your bin for the last time so we can empty and remove the container.

The chargeable green bin service will operate in the same way as the old green bin service but with collections of green garden waste every 2 weeks.

You can subscribe to the service by completing the slip that will be attached to the letter we are posting and returning this back to us with a cheque for £57.60, made payable to ‘Veolia Environmental Services Ltd’.

We can also take payments using most debit or credit cards. To pay by card, please ring our Call Centre between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday on: 0114 273 4567. Press ‘option 1’ to get through to Veolia and then press ‘option 3’ for our green bin order line.

You can also email us your contact details to: sheffieldenquiries@veolia.co.uk and we will call you back to take your payment by debit or credit card.

All orders must be received by Friday 6 April at the latest.

Thank you for contacting Veolia Environmental Services. If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards

Hope this is a help, it would be nice to know what people think about this.

Hi. I contacted Veolia and below is the reply they sent me by email.

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

You may be aware that Sheffield City Council has taken the decision to end funding for garden waste collections to save money on waste services.

Although a free service is no longer available, Veolia Environmental Services are able to offer you a chargeable green bin collection service. It is easy to use and the charge is a flat rate of £57.60 (including VAT) for a service between April and December 2012.

We are writing to all residents who currently have a green bin to offer a chargeable service, if you decide you do not wish to take up this service the letter also outlines a date to present your bin for the last time so we can empty and remove the container.

The chargeable green bin service will operate in the same way as the old green bin service but with collections of green garden waste every 2 weeks.

You can subscribe to the service by completing the slip that will be attached to the letter we are posting and returning this back to us with a cheque for £57.60, made payable to ‘Veolia Environmental Services Ltd’.

We can also take payments using most debit or credit cards. To pay by card, please ring our Call Centre between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday on: 0114 273 4567. Press ‘option 1’ to get through to Veolia and then press ‘option 3’ for our green bin order line.

You can also email us your contact details to: sheffieldenquiries@veolia.co.uk and we will call you back to take your payment by debit or credit card.

All orders must be received by Friday 6 April at the latest.

Thank you for contacting Veolia Environmental Services. If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards

Hope this is a help, it would be nice to know what people think about this.

Well this is one person who will not be having a green bin, my garden rubbish will be going in the black bin after the last green bin collection, if this is true.

Edited by legs 49

Sparky2 and legs 49 – to confirm your email from Veolia, I have just received a letter via post from Veolia stating the same charge, i.e. £57.60.

Mind you, it does say that this charge covers April to December 2012 but first collection is not until Monday 23rd April so it only just covers April. Collections being every two weeks.

However, if you do not wish to take part in the scheme then you ‘just put your green bin out before 7am on the above date and we will empty it and take it away’, and a bit further ‘... the above date is the only time when we will empty the bin free of charge’.

So if the 23rd April is free of charge then the charge of £53.60 only covers the months May to December 2012.

This charge only covers one year so there will be a further charge for next year 2013, plus a good increase for infaltion I assume.

Does anyone else feel there is a rip off going on here? :suspect:

Sparky2 and legs 49 – to confirm your email from Veolia, I have just received a letter via post from Veolia stating the same charge, i.e. £57.60.

Mind you, it does say that this charge covers April to December 2012 but first collection is not until Monday 23rd April so it only just covers April. Collections being every two weeks.

However, if you do not wish to take part in the scheme then you ‘just put your green bin out before 7am on the above date and we will empty it and take it away’, and a bit further ‘... the above date is the only time when we will empty the bin free of charge’.

So if the 23rd April is free of charge then the charge of £53.60 only covers the months May to December 2012.

This charge only covers one year so there will be a further charge for next year 2013, plus a good increase for infaltion I assume.

Does anyone else feel there is a rip off going on here? :suspect:

When they say 23rd. April that will be for your area, different areas will have different collection days, I would think.

Well this is one person who will not be having a green bin, my garden rubbish will be going in the black bin after the last green bin collection, if this is true.

Me too, all mine will be going in the black bin too. I pay enough already in council tax etc.