I'm Thinking Of Cancelling Sky.

I was thinking of doing this too. Been looking at Freesat HD boxes. A mate of mine got one of those £20 Sky freesat cards and after a year Sky disabled some of the channels and asked him to pay another £20. I can't be doing with that so looking at just unplugging my sky box and putting the freesat one in place instead. Nothing else to pay after that.

The cards change every 5 years (approx, the last time it was 6 years), the last card changeover was in 2009 so the next should be around 2013-2015. When you buy a freesat from sky card, it lasts for a minimum of 3 years - if they change over during those 3 years, you can go to the Sky website and order a new one for free (it's probably a bit late for your mate though!).

Confusingly, Freesat and Freesat from Sky are two different platforms. Freesat offers less channels (Channel 4 HD, Channel 5 HD, Fiver, Five USA, Sky 3, Viva are all only available via Freesat from Sky, and some other channels such as Sky News are available on Freesat but do not appear in the EPG), but Freesat does offer iPlayer if you get a compatible set top box :).

Decided I'm going to cancel. As good as they are, I can't take anymore of Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours, Top Gear repeats and so on.......

I wonder what pressure they'll put on to get me to stay.

Going to get a Freesat box HD. One of payment and done with.

Decided I'm going to cancel. As good as they are, I can't take anymore of Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours, Top Gear repeats and so on.......

Get rid... it's a waste of money, you can still get enough decent channels through your sky box anyway, all the digital ones.

I found it was just full of american-high-school-sunshine n beaches kids with too much money and no sense kinda programmes so got rid. much happier now with no payments and the sensible channels.

David Jason and the rest of the cast of F & H could probably live comfortably on the repeat fees from Gold, it is same with L of TSW that is even on Yesterday now as well.

Ive had Sky for a year and have got increasingly annoyed at the volume of adverts when I'm paying - I'm paying to watch adverts! thats an incredible business model. So its definitely going.

Can anyone tell me what the process is, please.

Do I have to send anything back?

Do they come and collect the dish etc?

From above it appears I can still use the plus box after cancellation. Does the record/pause function still work etc.

Many thanks

As long as you haven't renewed your contract you can give them 30 days cancellation notice.

You get to keep the equipment. After all, we've paid more than enough for it over the years.

Ive had Sky for a year and have got increasingly annoyed at the volume of adverts when I'm paying - I'm paying to watch adverts! thats an incredible business model. So its definitely going.

Can anyone tell me what the process is, please.

Do I have to send anything back?

No

Do they come and collect the dish etc?

Not unless requested (and even then, it's unlikely)

From above it appears I can still use the plus box after cancellation. Does the record/pause function still work etc.

No they won't, you would need to pay Sky £10 a month for the recording features to work after cancellation.

I can recommend freeview, and if you really want a subscription service then there aren't any adverts on love film I'm currently working my way through "Fringe" on love film, the turnaround is excellent, you get the odd damaged dvd but they have happily swapped these every time I've had one

or if you have a decent broadband line there's the BT vision thing, I've no idea what that's like in practice though

Just wondered if anyone else has done it and how they found it?

I'm just fed up of paying out each month for the same old stuff. It's just repeat after repeat. Sky News is about the best thing but even that gets repetative.

I have Sky+ and I contacted them yesterday to also cancel my subscription. They then offered me a 6 months deal where I'd get the same channels that I have now for only £12:50. They said if I changed to receiving the free channels, I won't be able to use the recording facilities and the programmes that I have currently recorded, I won't be able to watch. So, I'm busy watching all these programmes and will cancel my subscription with Sky tomorrow. Saving myself £30 a month. :D