Jabu (Chinese dumplings & fondue)

Went out for a Chinese fondue meal (I have to admit that until yesterday I thought fondue meant cheese or possibly chocolate :blush: ) yesterday with friends & had such a good meal I thought it was worth mentioning on here.

Jabu (formally Cafe Malibu) on London Road (just along from the noodle bar) has only been open about a month so it's not listed anywhere (that I could find) yet.

The food was excellent & the staff were very helpful (friendly too, speaking Chinese to one of our group who'd lived & worked in China) They took time to explain the menu (there's a fantastic selection of vegetables, meat & seafood) & cooking times.

Well worth a visit :)

You haven't got a phone no have you? I fancy taking a gang down to try this?

Yeah I have seent his place and though whats it like.

Can you let us know what you had and the prices etc etc

Thanks

I don't have a number ( I didn't book it ) but I'll do my best to find out.

Price depend on how many dishes you order - each dish varies in price from 1.50 (for veg etc) right through to £6 for fresh crab. I'd allow £20 per head if you want to eat yourself silly - less if your eyes aren't bigger than stomach :)

They don't have a license for alcohol so you'll need to bring your own.

I read in exposed that there was a new chinese opening on London road owned by the people whoi own wasabisabi. Unforetunately I lost the magazine and I don't have anyomre details. Does anyone know if it is open yet, and what it is called, and better still, if it is any good?

I haven't noticed any new restaurants on London Road since the Thai place that used to be Wabowskis (or whatever it was called) opened.

the newest one i know on london road is the fondue and dumpling house that I think is about opposite the Cremorne but i haven't tried it.

Originally posted by mjlacey21

the newest one i know on london road is the fondue and dumpling house that I think is about opposite the Cremorne but i haven't tried it.

Ah, yes, that realy little place, that is new, I haven't been yet.

That's Jabu - I started a thread about this here :

Jabu

Any chance of threads being merged?

OK - the phone number is 0114 258 3200

& to answer your question about what we had Mikey there was a huge selection. We started with dumplings (although sharing a dish of those is probably a good idea as the portions are quite large)

For the fondue we had a selection of different meats (can't vouch for those as I don't eat meat but they went down well with the friends I was with), vegetables (like chinese root, water chestnuts, chinese spinach, funghi etc) tofu, bean curd , tiger prawns, mussels, crab. There was a much wider selection than this though.

All the food tasted very fresh & the staff were really helpful when it came to choosing what to have.

Originally posted by Siân

That's Jabu - I started a thread about this here :

Jabu

Thanks. The article said that it was going to be quite upmarket and sort of contemporary modern - is this the same place then?

ive been to jagu the chinse and dumping house. is really goo fun and different type of food. Not bad for price either. I wouldnt say it was upmarket though, like a cafe syle more than a resturant.