What Legally Do I Need To Do To Ride A Scooter / Motorbike?

So I can ride anything after 2 years? You sure? I don't need any additional tests?

So let me get this straight, I can drive a 125cc on a motorway?

If you pass you test on a 125 then you are restricted to riding bikes of 33bhp or less for 2 years. After that you can ride anything.

You can ride a 125 on the motorway providing you are not a learner.

If you are after a scooter then they will all be under 33bhp unless you get some ridiculous mod'ed (excuse the pun) thing. You therefore only need to do the basic A2 test once you've passed the CTB and theory.

Oh yeah... and do it soon because the test is changing soon and will get harder!

I've got a friend that is thinking of buying a vespa super 300 scooter. She's 26 and has a full car licence but that's it. She wants to ride this 300, now and again carry a passenger. Is this possible? I take it she would have to take a test etc?

Having a bike is not necessarily going to be cheaper than having a car.I've never bought a bike for less than I could have got a decent car for.Insurance for a bike is not likely to be cheaper.Tax and petrol will be cheaper.Servicing and tyres will be the same.Add into the equation a minimum of £200 for clothing and all the costs of training and tests and I doubt it's cheaper. I spend much more money,mile for mile, on the bike than I do on the car.Also,if it's mainly for motorway use,a motorway is not the natural home of a motorbike. Having said all that,you'll have a lot more fun on a bike. Oh, and have a lot better chance of killing yourself.

serviceable secondhand cars in Britain, and especially the north, are among the very least expensive you will find anywhere in the world. It's difficult to see any advantage in having a bike unless, well, you're nuts about bikes.

and don't forget that the British weather is terrible basically for motorcycles. Unless you're a nut about bikes, they only really become a viable option in places where cars are heavily taxed and expensive, but where bikes are cheap by comparison, and where the climate is warm.

Oh god help me...

Right - so it looks like I need a 'baby' licence (A2?) I don't want to drive something huge. I just want the cheapest way possible to get me on a motorway on a bike - any bike!

I can't afford my own car (am insured on partner's) so the closest I'm going to get to my own vehicle is a bike.

So bit by bit, I need to pay for (tell me if I'm right):

CBT (before I even sit on a bike)

Lessons

Theory Test

Practical Test

Yes? And what would the costs of this lot be ? :S

Dont forget to factor in your motorcycle protective wear. You may be looking at around £400+ for that as that's roughly what mine came to...

I used to have a 125, and it was as quick as any bike I have had since! Is that the only restriction, 125cc, cos you can get some very fast 125's?

Sorry you're quite right I believe there is a power restriction but it's not documented very well on the net in bhp terms from what I can see it's either 12bhp or 14.6bhp, 25kw also rings a bell. Bit of a minefield but you're safe with any four stroke 125. If you plan on getting a 2 stroke (hehehe fun) then you might need to read into it a bit more, and while you're there find a good guide on top end rebuilds.

My post above is pretty outdated now I haven't covered the new module things they've introduced and the increase of price that's come packaged with that.

Anyhoo I'd always advise finding reputable links on legal-type issues rather than listening to a wierdo on the net.

Insurance for a bike is not likely to be cheaper.

Very much dependant on age, quote for me on a first year on a 'big' bike : £500 quote for me on a boring car: £2400