"What are your weaknesses?" interview question.

I have an interview on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure they'll be all the usual questions, including my least favourite one "What are your weaknesses?".

Anyone got any advice on how to answer that one?

Somebody must've been asked this in the past, surely?

Not come across it before, but:

Weakness: "This undesirable need to help people??" (too corny?)

OR say something like, "I work with my emotions, which is both a strength and weakness because it keeps me in touch with my customers/clients but also means I get really involved in whatever I do and blah blah blah" - you see where I'm going with this? :suspect:

Weakness: "This undesirable need to help people??"
Ooh I like that, ta.

I get where you're going with the "emotions" one, but it's a fine line to tread I think.

I was going to try and go with recent weaknesses I perceived and the action I've already taken to correct them, but am a little concerned that may not be the answer they're looking for. Perhaps I could say that I get too wound up about potential interview questions!!

I would say something like,

"I sometimes loose track of time when I am working on my own, and spend too long doing something which should be finished quickly."

I hate that question because any weakness I might have isn't usually something I'd want to share with a potential employer, so I go for the Spud (Trainspotting) option - 'I'm a perfectionist.' though without the Glaswegian accent, the Speed and the rest of the speech...

I also hate the question 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?' - my first thought is always 'Not working here!'

I have an interview on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure they'll be all the usual questions, including my least favourite one "What are your weaknesses?".

Anyone got any advice on how to answer that one?

I got asked this question. I hesitiated a lot then just said something along the lines of, "I tend to slack when given tedious jobs, especially if there no urgency".

It would help if you said what industry you were going for the job in. My answer was OK for my reasonablely technical job but I suppose if you were going for a data input, it would be a major weakness.

I told one employer I worked to the 80/20 rule in that I could swiftly get the 80% of a task done but needed someone in the team to be a completer finisher as I was always looking for the next challenge. It worked, I got the job.

"I tend to slack when given tedious jobs, especially if there no urgency"

LOL, yes that wouldn't be a good answer for data input job. The role I'm applying for is a Systems Admin-type role.

I'm not sure I want to come across as (perhaps) conceited and say I'm perfect, but I don't want to highlight any potentially nasty weaknesses either. I'm thinking now it's going to come down to the rapport I can strike with the interviewer. I think I can find out which football team he supports before the interview, and if it's quite a jovial affair maybe part of my answer could relate to supporting an alternative team with a bit of a rivalry? Upside is it might show I do my research well and be quite humourous, downside is that it'd be a lie and might make him think I'm some kind of stalker!

I'm also thinking of "impatience", " a sense of tidyness and order that some may say verges on OCD", "shopping", as well as a few technical areas, perhaps "system 'x' - but I've got a book on it I'm working through".

And speeling too (as I've just re-read this and had to make corrections!)

Would be grateful for feedback/suggestions from anyone experienced in interviewing for such a role too.

Passionate about what you do (can make you impatient)

Impatient (with others if they don't work to the same level/speed/quality as you)

Annoyed (with others if you feel they are slacking and you are working)

Can spend too much/too little time thinking over things and analysing - you know you need to get balance right.

Emotional - can sometimes interefere with rationality

Involved - sometimes take work home and need to give it a rest as you know that work life balance is important for your sanity!

Can be too much of a doormat and let other people take decisions as you don't want to upset people...

Conversely, can be too opinionated and realise you need to take more of a back seat and listen...

Some examples above - I have loads more - the list is endless!

Generally, this is the sort of question that can tell an employer a lot about how confident your are. For example - everyone has weaknesses. It is those with strength and confidence who know what their weaknesses are, can recognise them and help others within the workplace understand these weaknesses so they don't become a major problem. Those who don't want to talk about their weaknesses don't want to see the problem and therefore can end up hiding behind a mask of something nice and perfect. Don't say "I am perfect"...an interviewer lives in the real world and will expect weaknesses... The strength from you comes from when you are genuine and recognise your strengths and weaknesses and try and ensure they don't interfere with your work performance as you know they are there.

Cheers that very useful - I need to view the question more as an opportunity to show I can be self-critical and more importantly, identify, address, resolve and re-evaluate myself. Cool. ta.

I think I was perhaps viewing this from a more negative stance. I shall get busy prepping...

Cheers that very useful - I need to view the question more as an opportunity to show I can be self-critical and more importantly, identify, address, resolve and re-evaluate myself. Cool. ta.

I think I was perhaps viewing this from a more negative stance. I shall get busy prepping...

Exactly! One of my weaknesses? I waffle too much! It is a genuine desire to want people to understand what I am saying but I end up going on and on and on...I need to cut to the chase more! Good luck anyway...