Hibberts art shop.....

...near the Central Library up to a few years ago....

Great shop, and a well-known meeting place, too....

In fact, people used to name it when giving directions, in the same vein as pub names.

So - what happened?

Think it was eventually run by the founder's grandson - Paul Hibbert?

Still around the area?

Now understand that another family (Greaves) may have also been involved somehow.....

Anyway, still looking for info re Paul Hibbert if anyone can assist....

Years ago a colleague went to Hibberts to buy a works leaving present. He asked for an original painting for the £30 quid he had collected.

"We have nothing at that price sir," said a snooty assistant.

Colleague insisted they had and there was one in the window for only 18:50. They both went outside to look....

"That, sir, is the date it was painted", said the even snootier assistant - with a great big smile.

Always had a liking for that shop after that.

I was sad to see Hibbert's shop close, it was another of Sheffield landmarks that identified part of Sheffield.

I do not know how old the shop was there but my family used to have an old Sheffield painting that was framed by Hibberts in 1897.

I often wondered how old this family shop was.

Maybe some local history buff could let us know?

Happy Days!

from what I can remember, the good old city council increased the council tax for that particular premises that Hibberts stated that they could no longer afford to stay ther and as far as I know the name of 'Hibberts' was closed down. I used to get my George Cunningham prints from there.

I think that they are now in Bakewell in Derbyshire

from what I can remember, the good old city council increased the council tax for that particular premises that Hibberts stated that they could no longer afford to stay ther

The rate for commercial properties is set by central government based on valuations made by the Inland Revenue - where exactly do the City Council come into this (unless you're looking for a scapegoat)? As far as I recall they closed simply because it was no longer a viable business proposition in that location.

of 'Hibberts' was closed down. I used to get my George Cunningham prints from there.

I bought a framed print of Cunninghams 'Hillsborough Corners' when they had their closing sale about 97 ( I think )

Isn't that shop now a herbalist's?

There was a William Hibbert, Fargate a Gilder 1849, in 1876 he was a artist material supplier still in Fargate may be the same Hibbert.

1901 hibberts were fine art dealers and 1927 Hibbert bros Norfolk st fine art dealers.

IIRC Paul Hibbert-Greaves was running the shop at the time it was closed and moved the business out to either Bakewell or Baslow. I'm not sure if it's still open?

I think that they are now in Bakewell in Derbyshire

That sounds right as I am sure I once read that the family did live in deepest Derbyshire.