Is it more expensive to have gas fire on or central heating

Can anyone on here tell me if its more expensive to have your gas fire on low all day, or have the central heating on low?

I thought the fire as we are heating rooms that we're not in with the c/h and as its just a small 2 bed bungalow i thought the heat from the fire would travel?

My husbands not too sure :suspect:

sorry if this has been aired before :thumbsup:

Turn off the radiators in the rooms you're not using and the CH will be cheaper - most of the heat from the gas fire goes up the cuimney.

The gas fire runs continuously, the central heating only fires up when the temperature drops to a preset level therefore uses less gas.

At the moment both are expensive because of the hike in energy prices.

Hi, I live in a bungalow, but I only had the central heating fitted in Feb, now because the boiler is a new condenser type it's very efficient, but my gas fire is one of those living flame things and costs about 20p an hour to run on full.

When the heating was first fitted, I had the same thoughts as you. So I ran the fire for 2 hrs, then the heating for 2 hrs. I can remember that over the 2 hrs the fire had used more than double the heating.

Also another thing is that with the heating there are no cold spots or draughts and when somebody goes to make a cup of char you don't get a big blast of cold air, makes life that little bit more comfortable

Thanks folks, someone else has just said the same about the heat going up the chimney

Thanks folks, someone else has just said the same about the heat going up the chimney
You could go for one of the new gas fires with a catalytic converter. There's no flue, so all the heat is liberated in the room. I've never seen one of these in action, but if it had a thermostatic regulator, I'd say it ought to be pretty efficient!

those fires with the catalytic converter COULD be dangerous as the converter only lasts so long,just like a car's,if it becomes clogged up you will get carbon monoxide coming into the room

have a carbon monoxide detector in your room with these fires to be safe

central heating would be cheaper than gas fire,do what earlier poster said and turn down the radiator valves in rooms you don't use

but the most important thing is INSULATION

you can have the best heating system in the world,but if all the heat is constantly escaping it is inefficient and wasting money

those fires with the catalytic converter COULD be dangerous as the converter only lasts so long,just like a car's,if it becomes clogged up you will get carbon monoxide coming into the room

have a carbon monoxide detector in your room with these fires to be safe

central heating would be cheaper than gas fire,do what earlier poster said and turn down the radiator valves in rooms you don't use

but the most important thing is INSULATION

you can have the best heating system in the world,but if all the heat is constantly escaping it is inefficient and wasting money

Yes i agree with you about insulation :) we've got the loft lagged and there's a floor down also, not too sure but i think we;ve got wall insulation too, Thanks to everyone you've been a lot of help :) think we'll be going along the lines of having the heating on low, seems to make the most sense :)

We rarely put the fire on, just keep the heating at a reasonable level. I can remember moving from a bungalow with a gas fire as our only heating to a centrally heated house. The reduction in the gas bills really surprised me.

Hiya, we usually do have the heating on continuous, just wondered if it would reduce our bills, but the general feeling is not, and it is draughtier. Thanks!

don't underestimate the benefits of a woolly jumper.

:)