Smoke coming from car bonnet

just had a look under the bonnet and managed to see where it is coming from. I have have took a photo but dont know how to get it on here. I dont hardly know my way around the underneath of the bonnet so i will try and explain best i can.

The part underneath where the rocker gasket is theres a part where 4 pipes are attached. Well water(i think or liquid had build around the bottom of the one furthest to the drivers side and was bubbling away and thats where the smoke/steam was coming from. Could that pipe be leaking, whats it for?

PLEASE HELP!

Its not too bad if it's steam as smoking damages your health. Then again the steam could be expensive and damage your wealth.

Are you sue your not driving a deep fat fryer? They can smoke.

Check there are no illegals clinging to the exhaust pipe.

Have you tried opening the bonnet and seeing where the smoke/steam is coming from? That might give you a hint as to the cause.

jb

This is what I was thinking. Surely looking is going to be more help than some guesses on a forum!

just had a look under the bonnet and managed to see where it is coming from. I have have took a photo but dont know how to get it on here.

Upload it here for free:

http://imageshack.us/

it is the spark plug nearest to the drivers side where water or some kind of liquid had built up plus dried oil etc. Cleaned it all out and this morning it wasn't as bad at all. I did it slightly but not half as such. I'm hoping that's all it is.

It did it again when I got home today so I had a look and water had started to build up again. Looks like it is a leak somewhere so gunna have to get it to a garage on saturday. Anybody know how hard a job it will be and how much its likely to be?

It did it again when I got home today so I had a look and water had started to build up again. Looks like it is a leak somewhere so gunna have to get it to a garage on saturday. Anybody know how hard a job it will be and how much its likely to be?

If you get the chance, lift the bonnet and run the engine and see if you can spot where it is tracking down from. Dry all the pipes in the vicinity first, sit back and watch.

At least if you can identify the problem yourself you can explain it to the garage and hopefully reduce the risk of getting stung.

Its too vague to say. It could be a split pipe - a few quid, or something more serious running into hundreds.

Just take it to a couple of garages and compare their diagnosis and price.

Don't know if you solved this, but my W reg Ka suffered exactly the same symptoms as yourself. Here's what I found.

The thermostat housing gasket was crumbling and under pressure was leaking coolant in the form of steam and droplets. Not much steam, but enough to be noticeable on a drive over a couple of miles. There was also a burning smell.

On inspection, I saw that the leaking coolant and gasket residue was building up in the spark plug recess nearest the driver's side of the engine block.

The burning smell was the engine slightly overheating, though not enough to light up the dashboard coolant warning light, and burning off the coolant and residue.

I removed the old thermostat and gasket and cleaned up the mating surfaces. I fitted a new thermostat and gasket and topped up the coolant. Cost about a tenner and took me an hour or so because I'm a plodder.

The thermostat housing bolts need to be tightened with a torque wrench to 20 lb/ft or 27N/m. If you've no torque wrench be careful as the housing is an alloy.

Edited by spartacus

Since the OP only needed the car to run for another month, so I doubt he cares anymore.