Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Silence. 2/10

An astonishingly bad movie. What is astonishing about it is that it was directed by Scorsese. I couldn't believe how dull and uninspiring it was. It has a religious theme, but watching it was like experiencing eternity, as I thought it would never end. I defy anyone to watch this movie without wanting to fall asleep. Scorsese's undoubted directorial talents seem to have deserted him in this occasion.

Now the movie explores a philosophical dilemma about whether or not the human costs of adherence to a faith are worth it. But an exploration of a moral dilemma in film does not have to be so dreadfully dull. For example, the movie Anthropoid also explored a similar moral dilemma, but did so in an engaging and gripping way.

Has Scorsese lost his touch?

The Huntsman - Winters War. Not even charlize Theron and a leatherclad Jessica chastain (and the hemsworth fella might be pleasing on the eye I suppose) could save this. Imagine a panto where everyone did crap accents on a game of thrones set and you're about there. There was half hearted attempt at humour by the dwarves - (all Brits oddly enough with regional accents) but I wasn't a fan. Back-story-cum-sequel plot, it was a bit of a mess really. 4/10

A fantastic film, one of my all time favourites.

I have to confess to liking Richard more than is probably considered socially acceptable.

The First Great Train Robbery - 8/10

Enjoyable Victorian heist movie starring Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland.

I have to confess to liking Richard more than is probably considered socially acceptable.

Haha, he is a bit menacing :)

Silence. 2/10

An astonishingly bad movie. What is astonishing about it is that it was directed by Scorsese. I couldn't believe how dull and uninspiring it was. It has a religious theme, but watching it was like experiencing eternity, as I thought it would never end. I defy anyone to watch this movie without wanting to fall asleep. Scorsese's undoubted directorial talents seem to have deserted him in this occasion.

Now the movie explores a philosophical dilemma about whether or not the human costs of adherence to a faith are worth it. But an exploration of a moral dilemma in film does not have to be so dreadfully dull. For example, the movie Anthropoid also explored a similar moral dilemma, but did so in an engaging and gripping way.

Lets hope not as he's directed some fantastic films.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 22:25 ----------

Supersonic - 7.5/10 - Doc about Oasis's rise to dominance in the 90's, I find the Gallaghers entertaining when speaking in a way that their sometimes turgid music doesnt move me, a good insight into what was a phenomenal progression in popularity.

They Live - 6/10 - A great John Carpenter idea that the constraints of the era it was made (the 80's) hold back a little, entertaining though.

Underworld: Blood Wars - 6/10 - I wanted to like this, it's better than the last couple of films, but unfortunately the franchise never lived up to the promise that the first film offered.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 07:40 ----------

Silence. 2/10

I really disliked it (and would agree with most of your review), but my wife apparently liked it... So I guess it must have something for some people, I just don't know what.

3:10 To Yuma (2007) - 7/10 - Excellent Western with a good cast, quite violent.

La La Land 9/10.

An utterly delightful musical that was a joy to watch from beginning to end.

Loved the music and dance sequences, and another added bonus was that one of my favourite singers John Legend appeared in it too, something I wasn't expecting.

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning - 7/10 - 1960 "angry young man" film adapted by Alan Sillito from his own book. Albert Finney plays Arthur Seaton a factory worker who has quite a checkered life away from the lathe, the rebellious themes are very tame by todays standards but would have packed a punch in its day.

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning - 7/10 - 1960 "angry young man" film adapted by Alan Sillito from his own book. Albert Finney plays Arthur Seaton a factory worker who has quite a checkered life away from the lathe, the rebellious themes are very tame by todays standards but would have packed a punch in its day.

This was the film that gave Tony Warren the idea for Coronation Street, and made Albert Finney a star. Very stark portrayal of working class Notherners

The Siege of Jadotville (2016)

A very solid 8/10, I predict this will gradually grow to become a cult war movie. It's about very little-known (or -remembered) factual events that involved the Irish army in their first-ever UN peacekeeping mission in Congo, and the Cold War-related political clusterf*** of the time that led to 150 of them being effectively left to fight for their lives, unsupported and un-resupplied, against 1,000s of mercenaries in Jadotville.

Elite Squad (Brazil, 2007)

A well-earned 7/10. As tragic and hard-hitting as it is funnily Kafka-esque (the narrator's description of 'the scam' (bribery and extortion culture) and Brazilian police 'work' is fall-off-your-chair-funny at times), an indispensable watch in the same Brazilian vein as City of God and City of Men.

Edited by L00b