Taking action against a hospital

Change hospitals like i said. Go to the Northern. I found Rotherham hospital useless!

Do you know where he's going for his tests yet? If you've had the referral but are waiting for an appointment, try ringing them and asking (nicely!!) to be notified of possible for cancellations or short noticed appointments.

The wife did this when she was told it was around 6 weeks, /so far no cancellations but she kept trying. During this time my son got worse to the point he was admitted last friday, they took some bloods and sent him home saturday still in pain despite neither morphine nor tramadol easing the pain. Ive been told he has now being readmitted and as yet the only thing they have don e is take more bloods. Oh they did give him a paracetamol though :loopy:

The wife says hes getting worse, shes frantic, and the nurses dont give a toss. Neither do the doctors, i mean they cant give a toss, he has been in severe pain for over a month now. The wife has now said she is NOT leaving the hospital until they find out whats wrong and treat it.

Someone mentioned trying the NGH. We did this last week but apparently they dont talk to rotherham hospital so dont know what they did so they sent him home with instructions to see the GP. We did this and thats how we got to where we are now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its much appreciated.

if he"s in that much pain surely its a 999 job.ambulance let them sort it.

If its been going on for seven weeks why on earth does it require an ambulance?

skip out patients. ring an ambulance.

Why?

Is he dying. Has his head fallen off. Is he gushing blood. What the hell does he need an ambulance for.

The OP has already said this has been going on for weeks. What is the emergency exactly? Why does he get priority over someone else whom a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL deems is more urgent.

Yes he is in severe pain. Yes that is clearly distressing and upsettng for all involved, but perhaps, just perhaps there is simply nothing further they can do right now.

From what I read I would strongly argue that the hospital and doctors do "give a toss". In fact they have taken many steps in this 7 week period. There has been GP attendances and referrals, he has been admitted for previous overnight admission, they have already done some tests and provided medication, He has returned for further examination and had alternative medication provided. Now we have arrangements for more testing which will take place in due course.

All well and good people mouthing off saying "not leaving hospital until they find out what's wrong and treat it" but this is the real world. It doesn't work like that. They dont wave a magic wand and make people better. Diagnosis and treatment can take time.

I am not unsympathetic that he is clearly in pain at home but what on earth would lying in a hospital bed in pain do to improve the situation. This is a hospital bed which some other patient with more pressing need will be denied.

If the OP really wants these tests NOW as they said, they can go privately and get them. Until then, the NHS is as it is, the doctors are doing what their skills and experience tell them to do on the patient, and they are just going to have to make the situation best as possible and await the further proposed diagnostics and treatment.

He has not been denied treatment. He has not been misdiagnosed. He has not been negligently treated. What exactly is the legal action the OP seeks here.

Clearly there is no idea as to the test that needs to be established to prove negligence nor the hurdles to be overcome. Bottom line is, would another doctor faced with the same symptoms do anything different to that which has already been done? Perhaps they need to find out about that.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Have to agree with eccoonoob on this one.

In this situation it is the GP and the Drs who have seen him at A&E who a ones in the superior position. You can ask them if there is a delay or why they have chosen to take the actions they have, to better understand what they are looking for. If they say they cnat do anything without the test results, but dont feel they are an emergency then you can decide to pay for them yourself and ask if that would help. If not you will need to wait in line along with everyone else.

I might try and get a second opinion or look it up myself, but mostly I would have to wait if it were me and trust the Drs to do the job they were trained for. If things deteriorated I would be straight back to A&E.

Ive been told he has now being readmitted and as yet the only thing they have don e is take more bloods. Oh they did give him a paracetamol though :loopy:

The wife says hes getting worse, shes frantic, and the nurses dont give a toss. Neither do the doctors, i mean they cant give a toss, he has been in severe pain for over a month now. The wife has now said she is NOT leaving the hospital until they find out whats wrong and treat it.

Someone mentioned trying the NGH. We did this last week but apparently they dont talk to rotherham hospital so dont know what they did so they sent him home with instructions to see the GP. We did this and thats how we got to where we are now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its much appreciated.

if I read it correctly the son has been readmitted to hospital.

Why?

Is he dying. Has his head fallen off. Is he gushing blood. What the hell does he need an ambulance for.

The OP has already said this has been going on for weeks. What is the emergency exactly? Why does he get priority over someone else whom a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL deems is more urgent.

Yes he is in severe pain. Yes that is clearly distressing and upsettng for all involved, but perhaps, just perhaps there is simply nothing further they can do right now.

From what I read I would strongly argue that the hospital and doctors do "give a toss". In fact they have taken many steps in this 7 week period. There has been GP attendances and referrals, he has been admitted for previous overnight admission, they have already done some tests and provided medication, He has returned for further examination and had alternative medication provided. Now we have arrangements for more testing which will take place in due course.

All well and good people mouthing off saying "not leaving hospital until they find out what's wrong and treat it" but this is the real world. It doesn't work like that. They dont wave a magic wand and make people better. Diagnosis and treatment can take time.

I am not unsympathetic that he is clearly in pain at home but what on earth would lying in a hospital bed in pain do to improve the situation. This is a hospital bed which some other patient with more pressing need will be denied.

If the OP really wants these tests NOW as they said, they can go privately and get them. Until then, the NHS is as it is, the doctors are doing what their skills and experience tell them to do on the patient, and they are just going to have to make the situation best as possible and await the further proposed diagnostics and treatment.

He has not been denied treatment. He has not been misdiagnosed. He has not been negligently treated. What exactly is the legal action the OP seeks here.

Clearly there is no idea as to the test that needs to be established to prove negligence nor the hurdles to be overcome. Bottom line is, would another doctor faced with the same symptoms do anything different to that which has already been done? Perhaps they need to find out about that.

Well actually, Yes. If you bothered to look in my op you would have seen what action I wanted. For the hospital to do something.

Thankfully my son finally saw someone yesterday eveing who was annoyed and angry he had been left in pain for so long

He is now vomiting blood by the way. A complaint has been raised and my son is due to have surgery later this morning.

For the record, Watch your child lose well over a stone in a few weeks, not be able to eat, get more and more ill and then be sent home multiple times having had the same tests done over and over.

Then finally, when you begin to believe your child is seriously ill a consultant tells you that yes, there is something wrong and we need to open them up to see what it is, then write a piece of crap like your post mate.

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 09:07 ----------

if I read it correctly the son has been readmitted to hospital.

You did and he has been. He is medicated to the eyeballs right now. The pain still wont move though.

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 09:12 ----------

Have to agree with eccoonoob on this one.

In this situation it is the GP and the Drs who have seen him at A&E who a ones in the superior position. You can ask them if there is a delay or why they have chosen to take the actions they have, to better understand what they are looking for. If they say they cnat do anything without the test results, but dont feel they are an emergency then you can decide to pay for them yourself and ask if that would help. If not you will need to wait in line along with everyone else.

I might try and get a second opinion or look it up myself, but mostly I would have to wait if it were me and trust the Drs to do the job they were trained for. If things deteriorated I would be straight back to A&E.

So you would watch your kid waste away, puke blood, not eat, not drink, not sleep, cry in pain daily and yet you would still listen to someone who says theres nothing to be found?

Really?

The consultant we saw disagrees with you strongly.

Good to hear your son is getting the attention he needs now. Hope they come up with a diagnosis and treatment soon, and most importantly that your son stops hurting.

Hope you find what's up soon!

Thank you :)

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 09:17 ----------

Good to hear your son is getting the attention he needs now. Hope they come up with a diagnosis and treatment soon, and most importantly that your son stops hurting.

Thank you. Thats very nice of you to say

ECCOnoob - kind of for you really, but also just putting it out there.

Last year my wife had stomach pain for a while, she was given pain killers by our GP initially. She carried on with life/work and tried to ignore the pain thinking it was a bad case of wind, but the pain wouldn't go away and was gradually getting worse. Since it was getting more and more painful, she saw our GP again a couple of times, and then given a hospital appointment for a scan about 4 weeks ahead, and then finally the GP agreed to send her by ambulance to hospital for an emergency scan.

After waiting several hours, a consultant came to see her. Pressed her belly a couple of times and said not to worry, go home as it's not that bad - come back for the scan appointment in about 4 weeks time. I refused to let her go home and insisted on a second opinion there and then, as I could see she was in severe pain by this time. The first consultant was useless, wouldn't listen, was very off-hand and treated us like we were just a bother.

A second consultant saw her and immediately got her in for an emergency scan, straight after that she needed emergency surgery. Her gall bladder had basically come apart and pieces were getting where they shouldn't - and so needed urgently removing!

I dread to think how much worse she would have got had we just followed 'instructions' and gone home. If there's one thing I learnt from this - it's that this IS the real world, this IS what happens, and it does work to 'mouth off'. Don't ever let them fob you off, we know ourselves and our own families far better than a 2 minute consultation will tell a professional.