Disgusting strike action on London underground.

Not that far. Turns out you don't need to be sapient to drive a train and you certainly don't to sell a ticket.

If the UK gets driverless cars (with no rails, switching and networked signalling to guide them) before driverless trains, that's messed up.

We already have driverless trains - the DLR is a prime example.

The only thing stopping mainline trains from doing so is retrofitting the platforms. Bring it on I say - I'd love to see HS2/3 start driverless from day one.

What will people that cannot down load a ticket or live in a remote place where they have a station with no ticket machine?

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 10:45 ----------

And in what year do you think we will get driverless cars?

so the world and progress stops because a few people cant download a ticket or choose to live in a remote area?

driverless cars are almost a reality, Tesla are leading thsi right now so about 10 years before its a viable reality.

I support the strikers

i thought nursery schools had gone back????

We already have driverless trains - the DLR is a prime example.

The only thing stopping mainline trains from doing so is retrofitting the platforms. Bring it on I say - I'd love to see HS2/3 start driverless from day one.

Perhaps they should be doing the alterations before they get rid of staff?

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 13:32 ----------

Obviously you wouldn't get rid of the ticket staff before you had a ticket machine (or two) installed..

My point is that ticket machines already exist. Not every station has them yet, although even the really small ones are getting them, but there is no reason that they can't be placed in every station right now. The technology is there.

My local station has no ticket machines. I live in a large town.

That really isn't the point I'm making. I never said all stations had one.

The technology exists. There is no reason why every station in the country couldn't have ticket machines.

Out of interest - which station are you referring to? Your info says you live in Wakefield. Wakefield Westgate has ticket machines.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/WKF.aspx

Wakefield Kirkgate doesn't have ticket machines, but then it says it doesn't have a ticket office either (do you have to buy them on the train?)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/WKK/details.html

Edited by Robin-H

Perhaps they should be doing the alterations before they get rid of staff?

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 13:32 ----------

Then your local station will continue having a staffed ticket office until the time it gets a ticket machine

Then your local station will continue having a staffed ticket office until the time it gets a ticket machine

It would appear they don't even have a staffed ticket office now, unless they aren't referring to Wakefield at all.

Edited by Robin-H

What will people that cannot down load a ticket or live in a remote place where they have a station with no ticket machine?

Do you think all train stations across the country have the facility to buy a ticket? :loopy:

I do agree with getting rid of train drivers when and where appropriate to do so and to take steps for this to happen ASAP. However, it takes nothing away from my belief that if a group of people believe they are being hard done by and have tried all other avenues to fix it then they are entitled to strike and I would support them in doing so even if I would not strike if I was in their situation.