Rivelin valley.

when we were cycling early sixties we used to call for a mug of tea in that layby and always had 20 mins on the swingboats

As a kid we always called this place 'Little Wembley'.

it was one of our Sunday walks from Owlerton.

We loved the place and the Ice Cream.

Happy Days! PopT

Any explanation of the name "Little Wembley" Pop T?

My cycling days there was early sixtie with my sister and Dad.

I remember the cabin and the swing boats.

We called it "Swingley".

nearest post office would be on the corner of rivelin valley road and manchester road.
Yes, this was Rivelin Bridge Post Office. It sadly closed in 2006, after 120 years of providing services to local people. The adjacent café also didn't prove viable, and the property was sold by auction in 2007. The whole area was much more popular for walking etc. in the days when more people took country walks as a form of recreation. Despite the 1960s improvements to the paths, dredging the old millponds etc. and establishing the Rivelin Valley Nature Trail, Rivelin doesn't attact the numbers of visitors who, a few decades ago, would walk down from Stannington, Crosspool etc. Such a pity as it's a lovely part of Sheffield.

I remember playing on some ordinary swings in the 40's, they were on the right after going across the dam road ?

As Hillsbro said, Rivelin was a very popular spot years ago, we kids used to spend most of the school holidays exploring around there, I lived at Crookes in my younger years and it didn't take us long to get down there.

I bet you stopped for a drink of water from the trough opposite the Bell Hagg Inn Mike ?

Hi Allen

When Belle View opened in Manchester it was known as, 'The Wembley of the North'.

I can only think that the nickname 'Little Wembley' was a take off from that.

I think we must remember there wasn't a lot of cheap venues for the ordinary families and such places gave some focus to a weekend walk and all the kids loved it.

What more could they want, swings, Ice Cream, crisps and cups of tea.

How things have changed.

Happy Days! PopT

The family who ran the roadside snack cabin and lived in the house above it with the swingboats were known for 'sharp practice'. As young teens in around 1959, a friend and myself were asked to widen a pathway there for them. They provided basic refreshments and promised payment of a few pounds when finished. When the job was done excuses were made and we didn't get paid. We actually informed the police and were told by a local officer that they were known for doing this type of thing. Needless to say, we never got paid. They also employed slave labour from the Hollow Meadows mental hospital up the road. One chap from there who served the tables was once shouted by the lady of the house and said to us " That bloody Dolly, I'll hit her with this sodding tea pot one day !"

If you use Facebook there's a group page dedicate to the Redmires pow era, Not absolutely sure but this link may take you there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/140800861342/10151202918881343/?notif_t=group_activity

Apologies if already posted, I don't have time to read the whole thread.

That's interesting...that the family in the house above the laybye ran the snack cabin.

I mentioned this laybye earlier as it now seems to have been reclaimed by the said property.

I wonder if it was ever (legally) a public laybye?

And if so...isn't there some law about being used publicly for "x" number of years.

Or maybe Sheffield Council has "turned a blind eye" ...or isn't aware it is no longer available to the public.

I don't think it was ever a Council-maintained public lay-by as such, but as the area was so popular with walkers etc. it was a suitable location for the refreshments hut and swingboats.

Whoever owns the property now has made a nice job of the drystone walling - here is a photo from Google Earth.

That's interesting...that the family in the house above the laybye ran the snack cabin.

I mentioned this laybye earlier as it now seems to have been reclaimed by the said property.

I wonder if it was ever (legally) a public laybye?

And if so...isn't there some law about being used publicly for "x" number of years.

Or maybe Sheffield Council has "turned a blind eye" ...or isn't aware it is no longer available to the public.

The house was up for sale in the late seventies and I remember going to view it - I had never noticed the actual house before seeing it in the Estate Agents, but had passed the snack the snack cabin many times. I did not buy because I thought it a bit too remote.

The house was advertised with that part of the land occupied by the cabin being let at a rent of £1000, per annum (if my memory serves me correctly), so it was and is legally part of the ground belonging to the house.

Thanks for the info Elmambo...that's answered my question.

hillsbro...I drove past a few weeks ago. Was surprised at the changes..but agree they've made a nice job of the walling.

It's just a shame that the cabin has been lost for future generations to enjoy as we did.