Renting a licensed kitchen to start my catering business?

I am looking into starting a small catering business and need a licensed premise to use for a few hours every week. Does anyone know where I could rent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? a cafe or a community hall or something?

Thankyou

What exactly do you mean by licensed, do you want to sell/ serve liqour, or do you simply mean registered to use as a catering outlet?

sorry, I mean registered as a catering premise. My idea is to use some kitchen space to prepare and cook, then deliver the goods myself to my customers.

sorry, I mean registered as a catering premise. My idea is to use some kitchen space to prepare and cook, then deliver the goods myself to my customers.

There are many community centres under used, that might rent you a space for minimal cost, but make sure that you inform SCC Environmental health dept. The will be helpful, but if you go ahead without; and break any health or safety legislation they will be less so.

I thought I would try community centres, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any in particular. I will endeavour to research it. Thank-you for your help.

I am looking into starting a small catering business and need a licensed premise to use for a few hours every week. Does anyone know where I could rent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? a cafe or a community hall or something?

Thankyou

I used to do catering vans on building sites.

If you approach building firms such as whites, henry boots etc. and say your interested in doing on site catering. They provide the basics in a large portakabin. They supply the electrics, gas etc. so you have no bills.

The only rule is you have to keep your prices low for the workers.

A great starting point if you don`t have premises.

From what I remember, and unless things have changed you don't need 'licensed premises' though the councils Environmental Health Inspectors might give you a hard time to encourage you to meet their 'standards'. You need to do some stuff, but your home kitchen might well be ok and will probably be better than any village hall.

Good luck with the new venture ! :thumbsup:

we have had the same problem looking for somewhere suitable. Can't afford to set up our own kitchen as yet... re using your own home kitchens' that's fine as long as you don't have any pets etc..

So, to clarify, it is okay to use your own kitchen for cooking things to sell? What about insurance, hygiene inspection etc?

theres not only the place of cooking but also what ever transport you use to move the food once coked needs to be checked by EHO officers .

best to keep on the right side of them and they are normally pretty good at advise and suport.

maybe a pub may let you rent there kitchen

I thought I would try community centres, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any in particular. I will endeavour to research it. Thank-you for your help.

It will depend on exactly what type of operation you want to carry out.

What I mean is will you be doing outside catering i.e taking prepared food/ sandwhich buffets, hot/ cold out to venues for such as weddings anniversary parties etc ?

I know that Upperthorpe Community Centre has a half decent kitchen that is under used, the building is half used by SCC.