What is a PSIKey

what is a PSIkey my win 7 laptop is telling me that the PSIKey has stopped working properly and that i should download an update via protexis inc

Have you downloaded the update?

found this uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid

yes i downloaded it but i am unsure as to what it is, usually i check the source before i download but forgot this time, its just that i never heard of it before, i suppose I'm just after reassurance that it is nothing malicious, cheers

It should be fine. Its just a company that manages software licenses for some companies. Is it working OK after you installed the update?

PSIService.exe is a Windows System Service executable that is part of Protexis Licensing software. Protexis provides license registration and verification software and services for application publishers.

Why is it installed?

The service is installed by software applications that use Protexis licensing. These applications use this service to verify your license and may use it to pass registration data to a Protexis server.

Who made it?

PSIService is part of the Protexis suite of licensing tools for software companies who use our system to license and protect their products.

What does it do?

This system service provides license registration and verification to one or more installed applications using Protexis licensing.

Does it "call home" or otherwise transmit from my computer to the internet?

This service does not "call home" or provide any periodic report to an external web site or server. It does provide license activation and registration when an application is first used, so it will attempt to connect to the internet in order to register and validate your application license at that time.

How did it get here?

This service and its support files were installed when an application using Protexis licensing was installed.

Is it required or optional?

PSIService is required by applications that use Protexis licensing. These applications require the system service to be running in order to validate a license. Consequently, applications that use Protexis licensing may fail to run if this system service is unavailable.

Does it collect any personally identifiable data?

An application that uses Protexis licensing may ask you to provide personally identifiable information as part of a registration process. That application will use PSIService to pass this data to a Protexis license and registration server. Registration data is subsequently delivered only to the publisher of that application. Protexis requires publishers using our licensing software to conform to our privacy policy.

Is this service monitoring my computer on an ongoing basis?

No. This system service does not monitor you or your system usage. However, software applications may use the service to check your system identity and to determine that you are in compliance with the license terms. This check is performed locally on your system and no data associated with this process is transmitted to an external web site or server.

Source(s):

Arvato Digital Services, http://protexis.com/support/support_PSIService.htm#link1

6 months ago

cheers all, everything appears to be fine, but i just never heard of it before, and i thought that i may have been caught out with a dodgy download, cheers again for the assistance guys.

I'm either suffering 'Déjà vu' or this is a repeat of a thread from a few months back?

swarfendor43