Postmen - not posting letters correctly

We keep getting other peoples mail and the postman dumps his red elastic bands on our doorstep and drive.

Let's face it, the casual employment of posties has been a disaster. I still get the wrong mail, mail screwed up, opened mail etc. and it's no big deal. But a few years ago it was common for my post and parcels to have been opened and thieved from. I'm not sure how they've put a stop to that, but I'm glad they have.

The post is something that we all have to rely on. So aggressive cost cutting, low wages and zero job security for posties was obviously a pretty stupid idea. It's another example that "free market" principles don't automatically work everywhere!

We keep getting other peoples mail and the postman dumps his red elastic bands on our doorstep and drive.

who gets his blue elastic bands ?.

Had it ever occured to you that it might be your fault for putting a cage onto the back end of the letterbox that makes it difficult to push letters through the whole way?

Did you ask the postmans permission to get a dog?

why would I ask a postmans permission before getting a dog? Surely I am making sure that the postman does not get a nip from my dog.

If you do not have any value to add to this then don't write anything

Its actually a tell tale sign that someone is out / away on hols if mail is sticking out the box.

Its actually a tell tale sign that someone is out / away on hols if mail is sticking out the box.

i thought it was a general rule that the post had to be put all the way through for that very reason

i thought it was a general rule that the post had to be put all the way through for that very reason

It is which is why the op has a valid point complaining.

Boxes on the back of doors are useless, only small thin letters will go in properly. Anything thicker or larger hits the back of the box and wont go in fully, so it gets left sticking out.

Letters should be pushed all the way through, however when people have brushes, stops etc behind the box the mail often wont go right through unless you push your fingers through as well - and as I work next to a guy that has 9 fingers due to one being bitten off by someone's dog, that isn't going to happen.

There are things called 'push pegs' that are supposed to be used for this purpose, but the fact is they are useless and bend too easily.

Obviously some do leave mail sticking out when theres no reason for it, if this keeps happening then make a complaint and the postie will be spoken to, to see if there are any problems.

If you have anything on the back of your letterbox, just try pushing a single thin letter (because they are the most common and awkward) through it with one hand, without pushing your fingers in. If you can't do it then thats why your mail gets left sticking out.

A lot of mail we deliver these days is catalogs (crap) so it clogs up these boxes. we strive to put the letters thru' first but if the box doesn't get emptied that day, then we have to try and get the next days post in. The boxes that have a vertical opening lid are best because they can take todays large mail, its the ones with the slot on the front, so we have to bend the mail in, that are crap.

at least three times post has arrived recorded delivery and the postman hasn't even knocked to get a signature have reported this but it still happens . It makes you wonder why we are charged more to send post registered if its just being treated the same as normal delivery.

Sorry my friend but that doesn't happen. The postie would far rather you answered the door and took the item than have to stand in the pouring rain and have to write a card out. Don't forget if he doesn't deliver that item he then has to carry it for the rest of his round, so he would much rather get rid of it.

at least three times post has arrived recordeddelivery and the postman hasn't even knocked to get a signature have reported this but it still happens . It makes you wonder why we are charged more to send post registered if its just being treated the same as normal delivery.

why are you talking utter crap , recorded & registered AKA special delivery are 2 completely different services !!!

no postman in this world (unless they are mad) would post a reg' item without a signature ......... & altho it may occasionally happen , nor a recorded