How to bump start an automatic car

just got a vintage automatic car for next to nothing. It's in good condition and just sailed through its MOT, starts first time and so on but I was wondering just now, if you have to, how do you bump start cars like this where you can't slip it into gear. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

as i understand it you cant bumpstart an automatic car unless your being towed and doing around forty miles per hour, i

could be wrong though

You don't bump start - there are many reasons why you should not even try. The best way is to jumpstart. Automatic cars should always have a set of jump leads in the boot.

Mike

No you really can't bumpstart .

I bump start my automatic every morning.

No I don't really, you can't.

:)

Dont even try it, it will almost certainly wreck the gearbox.

can you push start one, using another car to push it, or does it require too much speed to practicably get started in this way with an automatic?

I used to know how to but I've forgot. If I remember Ill let you know

Even rolling an automatic without the engine running is potentially dangerous to the gearbox- the oil doesn't circulate around the gearbox without the engine running (which is why you can't tow an automatic without the driving wheels off the ground).

Get some jump leads and maybe a power pack instead.

Eh? To tow an auto you just put the thing in neutral, the gearbox n engine are then fully disengaged, there's nothing moving apart from the wheels. An auto-box will only engage with a running engine.

So that's why the manual for the last 4 cars I've had said that they couldn't be towed then?

I'll take the manufacturers opinion thanks.

auto have torque converters and not directly connected to engine, So you cant bump start a auto, While on a manual it is connected via clutch