Can you sandpaper your teeth?

The filling has just fallen out of one of my teeth but it seems to have left a very sharp edge that I'm in danger of cutting my tongue on.

As I won't be able to get to the dentists until later in the week, is it possible to sandpaper down the sharp edge so it becomes smoother and less likely to cut my tongue, or is enamel too hard for sandpaper to have any effect?

Yes you can, how do you think they made the holes for your fillings.

Don't be silly, of course you can't sandpaper your tooth - the sandpaper would go all soggy.

A better solution would be to make a protective cover for your tongue, out of something nice and sturdy, like leather. If you haven't any leather to hand, perhaps you could cut some off a bike saddle?

This would prevent your tongue getting damaged by the sharp edge quite well and you wouldn't have the bother of spitting out bits of soggy sandpaper :hihi:

Or just keep your gob shut until you can get to the dentist, thus avoiding the danger of tongue damage?

Yes you can, how do you think they made the holes for your fillings.

with a drill:)

Or just keep your gob shut until you can get to the dentist, thus avoiding the danger of tongue damage?

Please, let's keep the helpful suggestions within the bounds of possibility :hihi:

What about a temporary filling kit? They're available in American drugstores (one brand name is Dentemp) so I assume they're sold in England, too. It should enable you to cover the sharp bit and protect your nerves underneath. They last for days, until you can get to a dentist.

with a drill:)

Same difference they are both abrasive.

Hands up who read the thread title and instinctively licked their teeth and winced!

*Raises both hands* I'm so squeamish about my teeth that I shudder when there's metal anywhere near my mouth.

I have a file used to file horses hooves.That should be tough enough for the job.You are very welcome to borrow it provided you return it sterilised. I wouldn't want to risk the poor old nags trotters.

What about a temporary filling kit? They're available in American drugstores (one brand name is Dentemp) so I assume they're sold in England, too. It should enable you to cover the sharp bit and protect your nerves underneath. They last for days, until you can get to a dentist.

Just searched and you can get them here!

Congratulations, HH, I think you came up with the one serious and really helpful post on the thread.

Congratulations, HH, I think you came up with the one serious and really helpful post on the thread.

Beg pardon?

Beg pardon?

Granted! :hihi:

Get a piece of tin foil - screw it up and push it into the hole in your tooth :D