Re Crooke and Hackett family names

Hi eveyone who has been helping me with Research.Once again nauture has intervened and Im off for Kidney removal surgery on July 29. I am going to be hospitalised for some days and things will go on hold. During recovery I will attempt to continue here as my surgery is a bit more complicated.

I will be happy to accept any E mails or advances in researching but will be a bit slow in replying.

Many thanks and kind regards Shane Duffy New Zealand.

Shane....

Hope the surgery goes well.... will just keep forwarding any new info without expecting replies till later.... take it easy

best wishes

dev

Hi everyone Im not sure if my post came through.Yes surgery went well Im minus few parts and a cancer tumour but thanks to modern medicine and surgery I can continue with Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke or Leslie as he often called himself,

Here's the challenge he was a ship's surgeon on the P&O Lines then the NZ Shipping Line and arrived NZ before I believe May 1899.I have him working athe Royal Imfirmary in Scotland but once again no info recorded here in NZ.

Would anyone be able to find a SHIP'S NAME for me....Thanks Shane NZ

Ok have name of ship thanks was the" Wakanui " NZ Shipping Line left London 1899 arrived Wellington NZ 1899 when he Dr T L Crooke settled here.

Since last time a book produced named Victorian Voyage The shipboard diary of Katherine Mansfield 's (later a prolific NZ writer) mother, March to May 1898 Mrs Annie Beauchamp nee Dyer hasthe surgeon on board Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke from Wellington NZ back to Plymouth UK.

My next quest is the names HACKETT. Thomas 1798, Alice 1844, Robert H, Jane Louisa,Helen Agnes,Edith Mary.

Would anyone know if they existed anywhere in the Uk too other than the Dr's mother Emily Crooke nee Hackett?

Also are there any Crooke or Hackett living relations anywhere in Sheffield or the UK if so could you please E mail me.Thanks Shane.NZ.

Hi everyone helping

I managed to save e mails but someone or something happening with explorer as my screen has filled up 3 x with continuous Windows when I tried to see some replies.Says comp is running safe so maybe a glitch or a nasty.

Thanks everyone for all the pics and suggestions of sites Sheffileds and maps etc.Shane NZ

Hi again everyone due to more surgery on Cancer and hopefully the last Im now back trying to pick up pieces again.Once again thanks for all help and I look forward to catching up with all involved.Shane NZ

Am now concentrating on the name Hackett if anyone is interested time wise and the possiblity of any living relatives still or any Crooke relatives also...

Hugh your'e up late its pm here.Yes that is everyone I am looking for so am printing off everything HACKETT as I type.Where they all went too on census after may be another great effort.I havent found any of them in NZ.

Thanks a million Shane NZ .

A Mr Paul Hackett sent me 216 pages of relatives back to the 11th Century on the Hackett family tree too.

A book "Red Headed Rebel", by Hilary Pyle published 1998 Woodfield Press Dublin about a great female Poet Susan L Mithchell (Susan Langstaff) has almost the entire Crooke family placed there in about 1887 as Reverend Milward Crooke would shortly retire from post as Chaplain-General to her Majesty's Forces in Ireland at Cork.

His wife's relatives,the Colonel Robert Hackett lived near in Birr at Riverstown House....Susan.L. Mitchell claimed a loose relationship with the Hackett's through her Mitchell cousins.

Susan L Mitchell was engaged to George Douglas Crooke 1865-1897 (second eldest son of Milward Crooke and Emily nee Hackett), Lieutenant Crooke died in service of the Dorsetshires in India.He also served in the Seaforth Highlanders.

There was aslo another daughter Jeanie(Jennie) Crooke whom I have no information about?

Would anyone know how to find or direct me, to where Milward Crooke and Emily Crooke are buried?

Edited by ResearcherNZ
Additional Question(s)

A few years has passed since I was last here.I live in the earthquaked city of Christchurch in New Zealand since the Sept quake in 2010 then the Feb 2011 June 2011 and the now some 10,000 aftershocks and new quakes the city has been almost compleetely destroyed with the loss of libraries,colonist houses,records,and other historical buildings we are picking up the pieces of our lives(those that have stayed) and our historical heritage.I am one of those as I will soon be asking Questions for help with Thomas Leslie Crooke 1861-1943.Thanks for reading this Shane in nZ

Hi Shane, this may be a long shot but I have read your post with interest as my gt grandfather was based at the military barracks in Cobh (Queenstown) Co Cork and served with the Dorsetshires.

Anyway, you could contact The Keep Military Museum in Dorchester Dorset, who hold military records for the Dorsetshire regiments. They have a website with email contact details. They were very helpful to me several years ago. St Colman's Cathedral in Cork hold burial records and the clergy there may be able to help you. Good Luck:)

Thankyou Eli the Cat Took a while to find your message.I will look anywhere for information.

I do believe though that Rev Milward Crooke died in Scotland and obtaining records from their is very difficult.Thanks Shane

This is good fortune though as one of his son's Lieut George Douglas Crooke 1865 -1897 was in the the Dorsetshires sadly died in the India uprising.

Edited by ResearcherNZ
added more info.