Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

i was 19 when i got asked for I.D in HOME BARGINS on the moor in sheffield so i pulled out my CITIZEN CARD with the pass logo on it, but they refused to serve me and told me they didnt accept it as I.D. i only bought the card because it said it was accepted by all shops as I.D. and it was photographic, i was stood complaining for at least 30mins but the assistant wasnt interested i found her to be rude and clever.

i was 19 when i got asked for I.D in HOME BARGINS on the moor in sheffield so i pulled out my CITIZEN CARD with the pass logo on it, but they refused to serve me and told me they didnt accept it as I.D. i only bought the card because it said it was accepted by all shops as I.D. and it was photographic, i was stood complaining for at least 30mins but the assistant wasnt interested i found her to be rude and clever.

Was it government sealed?

If not then they won't accept it.

Most places will only accept a passport or drivers licence.

I Worked in HMV for a while and used to ask lots of people to prove that they were over 18 to buy an 18 Rated dvd. Why you ask? Because if i got it wrong and was caught i stood to get a £6000 fine and upto a 6 month prison sentance. So form my point of view i ask anyone where i was not sure cause i did not have a spare 6k, i suspect its the same.

I had people like you that would moan about it and refuse to show me id. Guess what the store manager backed me up and they left with out the items they wanted. More so when you get the idots being abusive becasue you have dared to ask to see id.

The shop is entitled to have there policy and are totally correct for enforcing it, my wifes friend was in asda recently and asked for id, she didn't spit her dummy out and stamp her feet.

With everything else thats going on in the world, you choose to moan about having to prove how old you are. GROW UP!

Fair enough. However, if you actually read my post, you will see that the 'store manager' didn't back it up. In the end, I did leave with the items I wanted. And I wasn't abusive. I didn't spit my dummy out, and I didn't stamp my feet.

And with everything else that is going on in the world, does that mean I have to just take a back seat and ignore being treated badly? There are lots of things going on in the world, it doesn't mean I can't complain about what happened in Asda yesterday.

And with everything else that is going on in the world, does that mean I have to just take a back seat and ignore being treated badly? There are lots of things going on in the world, it doesn't mean I can't complain about what happened in Asda yesterday.

I think that the point is that you can complain about any level of service that you feel is below par, but not about the act of being asked for ID. There is some inconsistency in being asked for ID and then served anyway without it, but it's not unknown for people to reconsider how old someone is.

You seem to think you have received poor customer service but from what you've said it doesn't seem you have.

The cashier would lose her job if she didn't ID you and it turned out you were underaged. With make up etc nowadays it is easy for someone to look 30 when they're really 16. Everyday we have to do things we don't like to comply with the rules eg sticking to one way systems even if it adds 10 mins to our journey, carrying around ID is just another minor inconvenience that on the whole makes the world run more smoothly.

If some 15 year olds were stoked up on lager and vandalising your car or garden you would be complaining and saying more should be done to stop this.

Rules and routines, like ID anyone who may possibly be under age, are what allow us to live in a civilised society. Stop the whinging and play along.

LOL. I received terrible customer service. Both from the cashier and the manager.

As for makeup, well, as a 26 year old bloke, it wasn't an issue. As for the '10 minute' thing, yet again, as I keep saying...... why should I carry my passport around?? It's my only form of photographic ID and I don't see why I should carry it about for the sake of a new and unadvertised policy for Asda, that hasn't been implemented across the business as a whole. Instead, they say it's up to the individual cashiers as to whether or not they ask for ID if you look under 25.

And, no. I will not 'play along'.

I am almost 26 myself and have noticed i'm getting IDd a lot more recently. Even in Poundland when buying chocolate liquors :hihi:

I wouldn’t be embaressed if somebody asked me for ID put owning up to buying chocolates from pound land……..:blush:

I'm a bit annoyed. Here's a copy of what I have sent via the Asda Customer Services section of their website, and also emailed directly to the Handsworth store manager:

"I am writing to complain about an incident that has just occurred at your Asda Handsworth, Sheffield store.

I have been shopping in that store for over three years now including the purchase of alcohol. I will be aged 27 in a month's time, so haven't had to carry any form of photographic identification for almost ten years. However, today, the cashier refused to serve me alcohol as I didn't have any ID. At first, I actually thought she was joking, as there is no way that anyone could possibly think that I look under 21 years old.

However, I have been advised that a new policy is being implemented whereby if you look under 25, customers will be asked for ID. Apparently it is up to each individual cashier as to whether they use this policy.

Perhaps then, Asda as a whole should advertise this fact, as all of your shelves with alcohol still only advise that if you look under 21 then you will be asked to prove your age.

I found the incident extremely embarrassing as there were a number of customers around the till listening to the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor to deal with it, and she advised the cashier, Lee (female), that it was up to her if she wanted to serve me or not. Eventually, she did serve me. She was obviously reluctant and extremely rude.

On exiting the store, I saw a manager and advised him of what had just happened. He shrugged his shoulders and advised that he would speak to her, then turned his back and walked off.

I find it disgusting that I shop in your store every day, and spend upwards of £100 per week there. I also purchase weekly shopping online, including alcohol; and have never had anyone challenge my age.

There is no way that I am going to start carrying my passport around in the off chance that I will be asked for identification in an Asda store.

I really think that your staff require more training regarding the selling of alcohol; otherwise you will begin to lose custom.

I for one will not be shopping with you again after today’s incident, and will instead order my online groceries from Tesco. I do not believe that I look under 25. I also produced my Asda credit card, and advised that I wouldn't have one if I was under 18.

The manner and attitude of the cashier and the manager has left me extremely annoyed, and I would like a reply to this email advising how you will resolve it.”

Has anyone else started experiencing problems regarding this?

You felt embarrassed being asked for ID?

You dont need to carry your passport with you when you do your beer buying, you could always get an over 18's proof of age card.

I know being asked when your clearly over the age is daft, but I dont think the company would change their stance on it, if they for example made an example of the till girl and gave her a warning for asking you, then you would get no one working the till asking for ID and would result in the store being fined.

I've got used to it - there's a clear police pressure on bars, pubs and off licenses down here . I know lots of 20-somethings and a few 30-somethings and non of them think it weird or embarrassing to be ID'd, because its just normal, wherever you go.

It's not me either, I was remarkably surprised in Birmingham and Sheffield that I only got ID'd once or twice over a two week period, I just expect it to happen.

Walkabout (in Portsmouth) have an open policy of IDing everyone. Personally, I think its a brilliant idea - if everyone's ID'd, how can you feel embarrassed, and it removes any subjective element from police tests and the cashiers view - it literally becomes 'did they ask for ID or not'?

The rules are set out everywhere.

If you look under 21 you will get I.D'd. Take it as a compliment and bring your I.D next time.

As an off licence they have the right to refuse sale to anyone.

Eventhough this case is alittle anoying for yourself (and me reading it in anoying red type!) you havn't even got half a leg to stand on.

Alcohol restrictions are becoming very tight in this country. Live by the rules (i.e bring your I.D next time) and you won't have a problem.

The supermarket won't risk a sale without I.D becuase they could lose there licence over it. And the cashier won't risk a sale because he/she would be liable to a £1000 on the spot fine.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my I.D

What if you were mugged, and you were knocked out. No-one would know who you were.

Its sensible to carry I.D

Same goes for cigarette sales. In the shop i work in if a sale

is refused because of no I.d we have to log it in a book.

It's about time they raised the age limit for alcohol sales to 21 anyway.... If it's good enough for the yanks, it's good enough for us! :hihi: