Sheffields highest and lowest points above sea level???

As you do, I got into a bit of a shamefully sad, yet quite interesting chat about Sheffield highest and lowest points...

My thinking is that the highest could be Meadowhead roundabout and the lowest being near the wicker...

I am probably wrong in this but if anyone out there could come at me with an accurate answer that'd be great!

:)

You're probably right about the lowest, but I think the highest is either Lodge Moor or Ringinglow...

best I can find

"At its lowest point, in the east of the municipality along the River Don, the land is 10m above sea level; at the highest in the hills to the west the height is 546m. There are few major cities with such a variation in height within their boundaries anywhere and this adds to the uniquenes of Sheffield, as it allows for such a variety of landscapes within one city."

Ringinlow is a good one yea, what about around the ski slope? that was thrown into the conversation this morning!

Ringinlow is a good one yea, what about around the ski slope? that was thrown into the conversation this morning!

if you stand on the ski slope and look across towards crookes it is quite obvious crookes is higher so that rules that out

so your saying that East towards Meadowhall is the lowest and West being Lodge Moor/Crosspool?

Where did you get that info?

I might be wrong, but I thought the water tower at Norton is the highest point?

so your saying that East towards Meadowhall is the lowest and West being Lodge Moor/Crosspool?

Where did you get that info?

Just ran a search on google something like "sheffields highest and lowest points sea level" and found that info!

it seems before anyone can find out a different the highest point within the sheffield post code,is the junction of mortimer road and cranberry road sheffield s36 s9 and also mortimer appears to be the longest road in the sheffield postal district

We can all sumise that a different area is higher than the other but you can only tell if its measured scientifically.

I would have gone for Crosspool because that is were all the transmitters are based for both TV and radio signals.

However, someone mentioned Lodge moor and me and Johnt had a disagreement on this the other day.

I argued that when I ride my bike from Crosspool to rivilin post office you ride down hill and uphill the other way which makes Crosspool the highest in the two and I have just realised that the postoffice isn't in Lodge moor you then have to climb Lodge Lane.

Lodge Moor is higher than Crosspool and thats not all because when I am on my way to Ringinglow you have to climb again to Mayfield which in my view Mayfield top is the highest place in Sheffield.

Using my GIS with Ordnance Survey height data and the city boundary I calculate the highest and lowest points to be :

High Stones (out towards howden moors) at 548m

Blackburn meadows sewage works at 28m