What happened to the Dooleys?

this is my all time fave song

classic :D

I've still got my autographed album from when they played the City Hall.Might put it on ebay,it'll probably fetch at least a quid.:(

I've still got my autographed album from when they played the City Hall.Might put it on ebay,it'll probably fetch at least a quid.:(

i will give you 20p plus a autographed photo of jimmy tarbuck

who can ever forget the djs in the 70s having to say and the next track is i got you by the dooleys

this is my all time fave song

classic :D

Love the stick-on chest bumfluff...:hihi:

Edited by Alien

Thought they were great and still do.

Love Of My Life and The Chosen Few are cracking records.

Well produced, wonderfully sung and in those days, it was a piece of 7" plastic that even looked good on a turntable.

You youngsters don't know what you missed!:nono:

THE DOOLEYS were a brilliant pop group, saw them loads of times between 1978 and 1990. Jim (lead singer) started a business supplying mobile scooters etc in Berkshire, guitarists John and Frank stayed in Salford and run the northern office of the business. Drummer Alan Bogan is also working with them. Kathy moved down south and is married to a former actor from "The Bill" (Andrew Mackintosh - DS Greig).

When 3 members left in the early 80s (Anne and Helen Dooley and Anne's husband bass player Bob Walsh) the went to live in a nice little town a few miles from Cape Town. They still regularly work with a guitarist called Terry Weyers as Shiraz.

Thanks for that info, I only saw them once, at the Club Fiesta, but my wife and I agreed it was one of the best shows we ever saw there, and we saw all the great and good over the lifetime of the club. Sad day when it closed.

They really were an under-rated group, and scoffed at in their day. Of course, punk was just hitting the UK, so they weren't exactly "what was happening" at the time. They may have seemed a bit old fashioned.

They worked the night clubs for years before chart success arrived.

They worked their socks off, sometimes doing a couple of gigs in a day in the early years. They were the first western group to tour behind the Iron Curtain, a gig by Elton John was well publicised towards the end of the 70s, The Dooleys could say "Been there, done that".

They won awards for their club act. Their chart break came through a series of events, firstly signed to Alaska Records, they wanted to release a song called "Hands Across The sea". The songwriter (Ben Findon) contacted them asking them not to release the song as it had been entered into "A Song For Europe" to be sung by Olivia Newton John.

A couple of years later a couple of the groups notice Billy Ocean in the chart with a song co-written and produced by Findon. They wrote inviting him to see their show. He went and was impressed enough to offer them a recording contract.

Also, in support for them, the group members could play their instruments and each member could sing. They put together a great show.

one of em played for wednesday and was managing director of sheff utd

saw them at the aquarius at cesterfield. they were late coming on but we didn`t know why one of the girls was sat on a stool all the time they were performing. found out after she had a fall in the changing room and broke her ankle. she wouldn`t go to hospital til they finished their brilliant performance. singers today have no idea how to be professional like that. best group ever