Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Originally posted by desy

I use to go to Midhill club around the mid 60's

the Midhill Club is now "The Earl Marshal".

My dad used to take me and my sisters to the Midhill Club when we were younger, on a sunday lunchtime as a treat.

I also remember going to The Park and Arbourthorne Club, (the "Top Club") with my parents and grandparents.

I remember the tombola games, and how everyone used to have to be silent whilst the game was played, nad woe betide anyone who made the slightest noise "whilst t' numbers wuz bein' called! " lol

PT

Ah, Halcyon days...........

My dad was concert sec at Upper Heeley WMC for a while and I spent many a happy hour in there. Started my love of ale, playing snooker downstairs, watching strippers in the concert room (while dad was on `afternoons`) etc.

Mid to late 70's also used to go to Limes, Dial House, Woodseats, Smithywood and loved it. One group who's name I can't recall sticks in mind - they did a tremendous version of Police's `Don't stand so Close to me` complete with the foxy blonde femail lead dressed a la St Triniains. Looking back perhaps it wasn't the musical qualities that made this act so memorable!

One group I do recall the name of was `The Discoes` - seemed to be on in every WMC every week, but always went down well.

what about the spa club ron delta tony white JHONNY CALENDAR an old friend of mine who is still working abroad god bless him

dad was on the committe and mum worked behind the bar

GOOD TIMES WAS HAD BY ALL

Went on holiday to Benidorm a few years back and it was like Sheffield WMC clubland. Johnny Kalendar, Lance Edwards, Big Jem from the internationals.

Originally posted by Albatross

Went on holiday to Benidorm a few years back and it was like Sheffield WMC clubland. Johnny Kalendar, Lance Edwards, Big Jem from the internationals.

I'am ledv to believe that Johnny Cogin (Kalendar) is very vulgar and has a mega attitude problem now.

Not knocking Johnny use to know him when he was a kid in the days round upperthorpe decent bloke

It wasn't as I found him. I was in a group myself and know the guys I mentioned and it was just like old times.

Originally posted by frenchfrie

Ah, Halcyon days...........

My dad was concert sec at Upper Heeley WMC for a while and I spent many a happy hour in there. Started my love of ale, playing snooker downstairs, watching strippers in the concert room (while dad was on `afternoons`) etc.

Mid to late 70's also used to go to Limes, Dial House, Woodseats, Smithywood and loved it. One group who's name I can't recall sticks in mind - they did a tremendous version of Police's `Don't stand so Close to me` complete with the foxy blonde femail lead dressed a la St Triniains. Looking back perhaps it wasn't the musical qualities that made this act so memorable!

One group I do recall the name of was `The Discoes` - seemed to be on in every WMC every week, but always went down well.

My Mum worked behind the bar at the Upper Heely WMC In the 70s & my Dad was a regular as well.

Originally posted by desy

I'am ledv to believe that Johnny Cogin (Kalendar) is very vulgar and has a mega attitude problem now.

my wife and i used to go out with johnny and his wife in the eighties when he lived in hiilsborogh we always found him great fun and good company we met him in benidorm about 10 years ago he was still the same

Originally posted by Hal9001

I remember going to see Johnny Calendar Band at the Woodhouse West End WMC. Everyone was over 40 and they were singing stuff by Styx and other rock bands. They all looked bemused, but the band was very good. This was about 1980, if my memory serves me right.

we go and see him at talk of the coast benidorm:clap: looking a bit weatherd now but still got a cracking voice:heyhey:

Originally posted by Timbuck

Ron Delta..I knew Ron..he was a very clever and funny entertainer and he should have been one the top comedians in Britain on theaters and Television..but whenever he went to auditions or he knew that someone from some top line agency was there to vet him the pressure used to be too much for Ron to handle, so he would have a Drink or two to steady his nerves..and this was his downfall co's he always seemed to lose his edge when he had drink...but for me, when he was in top form he could be the funniest man in the world..On or off stage he never stopped entertaining..I rememeber one night in the Dial House Club bar he was chatting away to a well known glamorous Lady vocalist in front of dozens of onlooking people ..a normal sort of thing to do if you are in the entertainment business..but the young lady was unaware that Ron's trousers were dropped round his ankles.

He had a friend called Bobby Warner (a drummer resident at the Marples six day licence Pub) who was just as mischieves as Ron and some of the exploits they performed together are ledgendary.

bobby is still around,goes in the masons ,infirmary road,used to live near him on kelvin flats

just heard that the dial house club is locking its doors for the last time next friday.

Have they finally decided they are going to build on the land. Suprised there hasn't been another outburst. Similar to when planning application was turned down last year.