Taking action against a hospital

I'm glad your son is showing some improvement. However, you shouldn't be surprised that surgery wasn't carried out if there is no firm diagnosis. Exploratory surgery presents an unnecessary risk - particularly if recovery is compromised by lack of nutrition.

Please forgive the lateness of my reply. Having the lad back has been a joy but as hes still in pain and requiring tests things are still a bit tricky.

---------- Post added 06-12-2016 at 09:51 ----------

glad they managed to ease the pain somewhat and are going to do some more tests.

has he managed to eat anything? even a fortisip drink or a forticreme pudding would be a good thing to keep his strength up.

Smoothies! Lots of different home made smoothies. He loves them and can keep them down. Solids are a bit more of a challenge though but he will get there :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 06-12-2016 at 09:54 ----------

Very happy to hear he has some medication to ease his pain. He will be better and more comfortable with you at home. If you need anything at all just message me and I'll do what I can.

I'm here if you need a chat x

Thank you for that. Thats really nice of you :)

He has gone back to college today. He is excited and looking forward to it. The college have been ace, really helpful and are going to keep him on campus for the whole day and monitor him for us. If he is in pain or throws up or anything they are going to contact me to fetch him home. They even supplied homework for him so he wouldnt fall too far behind.

Sheffield college have really helped him whilst he has been going through all this

---------- Post added 06-12-2016 at 09:55 ----------

I'm glad your son is showing some improvement. However, you shouldn't be surprised that surgery wasn't carried out if there is no firm diagnosis. Exploratory surgery presents an unnecessary risk - particularly if recovery is compromised by lack of nutrition.

Thanks for that (love the name by the way :hihi: )

I hope your son obtains a diagnosis and wish him the best for a full rapid recovery.

On the taking action against a hospital issue, be careful with this as in brief I had major surgery at the NGH, the wound got infected and I was discharged on Christmas eve, rushed back in a few hours later in agony, given three times the maximum of intravenous penicillin allowed sent home with more, came back in again and the same procedure done then sent home then returned again then it happened, a massive allergic reaction to the penicillin - they couldn't spare an ambulance so a family member took me to the RHH and the consultant there was horrified. I nearly died that night, the pain was awful.

When I complained a few months later the consultant shut the door on me. A few months later I had everything in place to take them to the cleaners and the NGH conveniently 'lost my notes' case ended.

I've had 4 surgeries since including more on the same area as a result of that shambles however had the surgery been performed correctly then maybe the extra expense of the additional surgeries could've been avoided by the NHS however I've made it perfectly clear that I will never go into the NGH for another procedure.

I also think its worrying when another medical professional says to you that they wouldn't have surgery in there either!

I wish you well whatever you decide to do, stick to your guns

My suggestion to you would be to get hold of the notes and copy the lot BEFORE you venture down the action route otherwise you may also fall into the 'Lost notes' section

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you are fully recovered and 100% well again.

An update...

My son is much worse now, he was taken back to hospital and is seemingly getting worse daily.

The hospital have been terrible with incidents ranging from denying him his pain relief and denying him his other meds, giving him medication he is allergic to, leaving him covered in blood after he had some sort of panic attack and tore his drip out of his arm. The list goes on and I need to move hospitals before they bloody kill him. I was all for NGH but having read your story Norseman im none too keen.

Ive been told we can transfer to any hospital.

Can anyone please recommend a hospital for my lad?

Very sorry to hear of your sons illness and problems with the Hospital.

From your emails this seems to have been ongoing for the last 7 weeks.

I am amazed nothing has been resolved in this time, has he previous medical problems and history preventing them acting ?

I would be distraught as you are if I were in a similar situation.

All my many experiences with Hospitals have been good and I have found them to be thorough and caring.

My eldest grandson has had two successful major heart operations and most of my family experiences with hospitals has been good.

You must keep pressure your GP. for a solution.

I wish your son the best in regaining his health.

I don't want to be having a pop at hospital staff because I know how under staffed/resourced they are, but unless you're on absolute death's door or your leg is hanging off or something you might as well not bother with A&E, unless you're up for about a 6 or 7 hour wait.

Happy Daddy,

Take him immediately to another hospital. You are allowed to do that. Get him admitted (A+E ). Don't leave until he's admitted. You may have to wait. He doesn't have to be referred by a G.P. It sounds like he's in a serious condition and you will be justified in taking him to the A+E of another hospital.

I sincerely wish that things work out for you both.

N.B. You can initiate a complaint against Rotherham after you've gotten the right treatment for you son.

Edited by petemcewan

I'm mystified having tried to read carefully all this thread.

No diagnosis, surgery planned but deemed unnecessary, endless unidentified tests and no description of the 'thinking' of the doctors: is it urinary, heart, bowel, blood, liver, nerve, lung, brain ...... no indication provided whatsoever.

The hospital is the best place for anyone who is showing serious symptoms and NGH is excellent.

My son is much worse now, he was taken back to hospital and is seemingly getting worse daily.

The hospital have been terrible with incidents ranging from denying him his pain relief and denying him his other meds, giving him medication he is allergic to, leaving him covered in blood after he had some sort of panic attack and tore his drip out of his arm. The list goes on and I need to move hospitals before they bloody kill him. I was all for NGH but having read your story Norseman im none too keen.

Ive been told we can transfer to any hospital.

Can anyone please recommend a hospital for my lad?

I don't have any helpful knowledge of the local hospitals, just wanted to send you, your son, and your family good wishes. Hope your son gets the treatment he needs, and soon.

After having a blood test I have just been told by the Haematologist that I have MGUS, I asked should I know longer give blood "I don't know" he said.

I rang the blood donor service and was told that I could no longer donate blood.

I have had the symptoms of MGUS for some years and had many visits to GPs and hospital yet it has only just been confirmed despite obvious symptoms that I've now researched myself, but what this does mean is that I've been giving blood when I shouldn't have been for several years.

Have those tests happened yet happy daddy? If not, find out how much it would cost to get them done privately.

Have those tests happened yet happy daddy? If not, find out how much it would cost to get them done privately.

Not everyone can afford to go private. Unfortunately there are some people in this country who illegally fiddle their tax forms so that they pay much less tax than they should.

Whilst this might mean that they can then personally afford private healthcare with the thousands of pounds they are saving, it leads to our public services being underfunded. People who then have no choice but to use them are then in some cases left with a sub-standard service.