Remember Birley School?

I left birley school I 1963my 2brothers went there philip and micheal payne both who are now not here

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 12:54 ----------

About the above reply my name was gloria payne

Just come across this post know Pete Fenwick & Steve Secker, Pete's lad played for United for a time, both he & Secker are good lads. I known them both 30 years from the Birley pub.

still booze with mr fenwick in birley....mr secker can be found most days in the cumberland.....

they were both guiding lights when i used to booze in frecheville...

still booze with mr fenwick in birley....mr secker can be found most days in the cumberland.....

they were both guiding lights when i used to booze in frecheville...

I'm going to PM you Easty

I left birley school I 1963my 2brothers went there philip and micheal payne both who are now not here

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 12:54 ----------

About the above reply my name was gloria payne

I remember Phil and Mick, i was with Phil on that sad day in the early 60s, also remember Walt and Irene. I left Birley Secondary Modern in 1966.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 23:10 ----------

Blitzkrieg.

Hey up Blue Bunny,

(A). As you have mentioned the names of your three brothers (post 133) I deduce you must be Christopher the second youngest, with Martin (nice lad) being the youngest. I feel it only right that I deeply apologise to the Hatfield clan for dragging young Martin down to the low level of larceny for which we were severely punished at the time.

The 1967 heist planned by me was perfection and I still pat myself on the back over 45 years later. We left no damage or evidence and it was sheer bad luck that a cleaner happened to come out of the lasses lavs just as we were almost out of the final door to escape. Regardless, I can assume you and I had a bloody good feast that evening in my bedroom, making it all worthwhile apart from the bit when I got expelled.

I say young Martin because I was older than him and he was younger than me. I was born March 30 (same day as lardy Paul Overhand) and Martin early June(?). I don’t remember all the exact dates of birthdays, but some I do recall. It dunt matter really because none of the wretched wretches invited me to their party’s, perhaps on parents instructions!

B.T.W. – Pal 1 on the heist operation was Paul White (a late stand in for Paul Ward who had decided to go rabbit snaring at Birley woods instead) who was my second best pal of the year and fellow mischief maker at the time, after Ralph Smalley who also lived near me on Newstead Rise. Ralph was a livewire of a lad, who had zillions of ideas, and we had some reight laughs in the time I knew him.

(B) Durin’t summer of 1966 I palled up with a lad from your year who became my pal of the holiday. My dad had warned me to keep away from him ‘because he was trouble’. Being a defiant little sod I didn’t heed dad’s words and became quite inseparable from this lad from your year for the next few weeks.

On one of those hot days during the fifth week I, along with this new pal and 2 other pals of the summer, became bored and decided to pay the sleeping Thornbridge school a visit. We never did like Thornbridge School which we thought was full of puffs. We also didn’t like the gozz, snot and wet bogey coloured blazers they wore either and decided something had to be done about it. We arrived at the lay by on Birley Lane and picked up loads of stones and other throwable items but were very careful not to pick up the used johnny’s from the activities of grown ups from the previous evening(s), then we entered the grounds of Thornbridge fully laden.

Standing within 10 yards of the school we four opened fire and fairly peppered them windows. It was like the Blitzkrieg re-enacted, the power and energy we put into it, and the wonderful feeling of elation was absolutely mind blowing. It was a feeling I knew so well because I had had it many times in the past, as many greenhouse owners in Hackenthorpe, Frecheville and Birley could , should and maybe would substantiate. We must of done at least 58 windows.

Being a hot day the people who lived in the area (top end of Thornbridge Avenue and the rear of the even numbered houses at the Birley Lane end of Thornbridge Road) would have had their windows open which meant they would of heard the sound of crashing glass at the nearby school. This includes the Hatfields, Otters, Needhams, Ibbotsons, Cuneos, MacGowans, Townsends, Clarksons, Houseleys, Liddells, and possibly the Stephensons, and all these families had children who went to Birley School.

Needless to say one of the other pal’s got recognized and it wasn’t long before the rozzers rounded us up. It became a court case and we four had to attend Renishaw Court (in 1966 we were still under Derbyshire rule) and were found guilty of the charge of willful damage. We were fined and told to behave ourselves in future. I was the youngest at 12.

The pal of the six weeks holiday lived on Newstead Drive and was called Trevor Davies. Know him?

©. You also mentioned names of other pupils you remembered. I knew Stewart May, he lived on Thornbridge Place or Close, Keith Fowler dwelt on Thornbridge Crescent haif way up, and I know the other names apart from John Bell and Phillip Brown……. their bad luck. I think Robert Page was the lad with a mass of untidy dark hair and he spoke very fast, in a manic way. Did you know Steve Kaye, Gary Bottomley, Neil Brown, Diane Cutts, Harry Hatt (Pin), Susan Cocker, Rosie Staniland, Pat Dodworth (she may have had a slight skin disorder?), and can you fix me up with a date with Kathryn Ibbotson who lived a couple of doors away from you? Lol.

(D). From all the people I remember at Birley there were 4 I recall who used their middle name instead of their original Christian name. This was not as rare as one might think. The ones I knew who did this were:-

Kathryn Ibbotson – Elizabeth

Anne Hayes – Margaret

Adele Stephenson – Julia

Harry Hatt – James.

There were more but I can’t remember everybody. I wish I could.

(E) Did you now Hotpot? What was his real name?

(F) Which house team were you in? I was in Trojan.

(G) Finally. Can anyone confirm that Mr Lines lived in Ridgeway where he died over 20 years ago, and is buried there. I am an unforgiving type who has had dancing lessons!

Cheers Chris.

Zakes.

It must be pointed out my stuff is copyright controlled!

I remember Hotpot, real name is David Hodgson dob 14-07-1951 he has a twin sister called Jean and an older brother called Mick. he lived on Birley Moor Drive at the corner of Birley Moor Way. I also remember Trevor Davis, could do a good impression of Donald Duck as i can remember.

Don't think Harry Lines lived in Ridgway, i worked in the village for several years and never saw or heard of him living there, i'm sure if he was there our paths would have crossed just as they crossed many times at school.

Just come across this post know Pete Fenwick & Steve Secker, Pete's lad played for United for a time, both he & Secker are good lads. I known them both 30 years from the Birley pub.

Thanks for the mention Steve and Peter were versatile players. Ray Matthews

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 18:21 ----------

I'm going to PM you Easty

Please give Peter my regards Ray Matthews

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 16:16 ----------

Jim lines lived in Dronfield he drove a Rover car. Trevor Davies was a good gymnast built like a mini Charles Atlas. Is he still around? Ray Matthews

Thanks for the mention Steve and Peter were versatile players. Ray Matthews

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 18:21 ----------

Please give Peter my regards Ray Matthews

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 16:16 ----------

Jim lines lived in Dronfield he drove a Rover car. Trevor Davies was a good gymnast built like a mini Charles Atlas. Is he still around? Ray Matthews

Hiya Sir, Still remember Ray Matthews as a good teacher, great times at Birley. thanks for the A-

Satchels – Part 2 of 3.

Zakes was financially unembarrassed at the present time and possessed eighteen shillings and seven pence. He had worked very hard to amass his fortune this past weekend. His Aunty Grizzelda had come to visit again, and this time she had brought a heavy chesty cold with her. On three occasions she had asked Zakes if he could oblige by rubbing ‘Fiery Jack’ and ‘Vickrub’ into her 58 inch pectoral, and on three occasions Zakes had obliged like a good boy that he was. Aunty Grizzelda was so generous, Zakes mused. Her two daughters Dilys and Daphne were Zakes’ cousinesses and he loved them all dearly.

Whilst Zakes had been gendering at his girly class matesses he had noticed some of the other lads had been doing the same. He wondered if they were planning to take some of the lasses to the Rex as well. Had they also come into some money? He felt quite certain that none of them knew of or had met Aunty Grizzelda!

Zakes would have to keep a close eye o his competitors who were:-

Mick Fukes – Athenian.

Mick was a lad who liked to take risks without thought as most left handed people tend to do. At times his gimlet eyes showed impish interest, and at other times he puckered his eyes creating three vertical lines atween his brows. He seldom smiled, and when he did his placid features blurred like a pond disturbed by a stone. Mick had a tidy appearance, but his school satchel looked like it had been tormented by rats. Lived on East Glade Way.

David Jackson – Spartan.

David was a lad not noted for his humour. He possessed a face that always looked somewhat wind whipped, and in unhappy moments he had a face that reminded Zakes of a clock at twenty minutes to four. David strutted about in the manner of an egotist, head up, shoulders squared. He was always dressed immaculately and his satchel shone like his shoes. Also lived on East Glade Way.

Trevor Lambert – Athenian.

Trevor had only one imperfection. He was in possession of a ‘tit lip’. His top lip hung down like one of those shapely well formed breast’s that one would see, if they cared to make the journey down to Borlini’s Bordello in Beighton, where Zakes’ dad worked as a bouncing bouncer. Trevor was very athletic and could gallop faster than a horse. He was the fastest 100, 220, 440 yards runner in Zakes’ year, and the best hurdler. Only David ‘Steptoe’ Stephenson and possibly Martin Hatfield (Spartan) could out run him in cross country running. Trevor was a quiet and very modest lad and never had a hint of boast about him. He often had an embarrassed look, and he always worked hard with his school work. Trevor also had a shiny satchel, and his appearance was also presentable if you didn’t look at his cake hole. Lived on Thornbridge Way.

Keith Widdowson – Spartan.

Keith like Trevor, also had summat wrong with him. Keith’s problem was he had a prognathous jaw which meant his lower jaw stuck out like a sore thumb. His nose was quite flat and together with the unfortunate jaw Keith looked like a ringer for the man in the moon. From the profile side of things Keith looked like he was well capable of chopping giant red wood trees down with his hatchet features. Chess was Keith’s game, and bloodly good at it too. Zakes defeated his mate at chess now and again, but Zakes suspected that Keith let him win to keep to the right or left side of him. Keith also had a well polished satchel and was spotlessly dressed. Keith lived on the same road as one of Zakes’ Trojan hero’s, Steve Secker, a lad a couple of years higher at school. They lived on East Glade Road.

David Stephenson – Athenian.

David had a tinge of olive (family Zakes couldn’t afford them) colour to his skin which enhanced his half decent looks. David ran like the wind when it came to cross country running. Zakes preferred to hang back with some others on Birley Lane to have a fag or two in the Hawthorn Bushes. What’s the sense in sweating and having lungs almost at bursting point? ‘Steptoe’ was studious in class, but also enjoyed a giggle or two with his mate Zakes. David and Zakes were the two lads who did the impromptu comedy weather forecasts in class when no teacher was about. David was dressed okayish most of the time and had a dull looking satchel. He lived on Thornbridge Avenue.

Next time - The Candidatesses

been looking through all your ols memories,although im a little younger i know lots of the names.lived on east glade road all my life so know the widdowsons(still see mr and mrs widdowson)and steve secker,(not too long ago that old mr secker died.i wonder if you know of my mum who would have been 63 this year,pat benson??

anyone remember steve gill phillip pearson paul bailey john everett steven secker or geoff lupton

anyone remember steve gill phillip pearson paul bailey john everett steven secker or geoff lupton

Remember them all well, that John Everett were a rough character. Lol

Remember them all well, that John Everett were a rough character. Lol

who are you tic tac:help:

Satchels – Part 2 of 3.

Zakes was financially unembarrassed at the present time and possessed eighteen shillings and seven pence. He had worked very hard to amass his fortune this past weekend. His Aunty Grizzelda had come to visit again, and this time she had brought a heavy chesty cold with her. On three occasions she had asked Zakes if he could oblige by rubbing ‘Fiery Jack’ and ‘Vickrub’ into her 58 inch pectoral, and on three occasions Zakes had obliged like a good boy that he was. Aunty Grizzelda was so generous, Zakes mused. Her two daughters Dilys and Daphne were Zakes’ cousinesses and he loved them all dearly.

Whilst Zakes had been gendering at his girly class matesses he had noticed some of the other lads had been doing the same. He wondered if they were planning to take some of the lasses to the Rex as well. Had they also come into some money? He felt quite certain that none of them knew of or had met Aunty Grizzelda!

Zakes would have to keep a close eye o his competitors who were:-

Mick Fukes – Athenian.

Mick was a lad who liked to take risks without thought as most left handed people tend to do. At times his gimlet eyes showed impish interest, and at other times he puckered his eyes creating three vertical lines atween his brows. He seldom smiled, and when he did his placid features blurred like a pond disturbed by a stone. Mick had a tidy appearance, but his school satchel looked like it had been tormented by rats. Lived on East Glade Way.

David Jackson – Spartan.

David was a lad not noted for his humour. He possessed a face that always looked somewhat wind whipped, and in unhappy moments he had a face that reminded Zakes of a clock at twenty minutes to four. David strutted about in the manner of an egotist, head up, shoulders squared. He was always dressed immaculately and his satchel shone like his shoes. Also lived on East Glade Way.

Trevor Lambert – Athenian.

Trevor had only one imperfection. He was in possession of a ‘tit lip’. His top lip hung down like one of those shapely well formed breast’s that one would see, if they cared to make the journey down to Borlini’s Bordello in Beighton, where Zakes’ dad worked as a bouncing bouncer. Trevor was very athletic and could gallop faster than a horse. He was the fastest 100, 220, 440 yards runner in Zakes’ year, and the best hurdler. Only David ‘Steptoe’ Stephenson and possibly Martin Hatfield (Spartan) could out run him in cross country running. Trevor was a quiet and very modest lad and never had a hint of boast about him. He often had an embarrassed look, and he always worked hard with his school work. Trevor also had a shiny satchel, and his appearance was also presentable if you didn’t look at his cake hole. Lived on Thornbridge Way.

Keith Widdowson – Spartan.

Keith like Trevor, also had summat wrong with him. Keith’s problem was he had a prognathous jaw which meant his lower jaw stuck out like a sore thumb. His nose was quite flat and together with the unfortunate jaw Keith looked like a ringer for the man in the moon. From the profile side of things Keith looked like he was well capable of chopping giant red wood trees down with his hatchet features. Chess was Keith’s game, and bloodly good at it too. Zakes defeated his mate at chess now and again, but Zakes suspected that Keith let him win to keep to the right or left side of him. Keith also had a well polished satchel and was spotlessly dressed. Keith lived on the same road as one of Zakes’ Trojan hero’s, Steve Secker, a lad a couple of years higher at school. They lived on East Glade Road.

David Stephenson – Athenian.

David had a tinge of olive (family Zakes couldn’t afford them) colour to his skin which enhanced his half decent looks. David ran like the wind when it came to cross country running. Zakes preferred to hang back with some others on Birley Lane to have a fag or two in the Hawthorn Bushes. What’s the sense in sweating and having lungs almost at bursting point? ‘Steptoe’ was studious in class, but also enjoyed a giggle or two with his mate Zakes. David and Zakes were the two lads who did the impromptu comedy weather forecasts in class when no teacher was about. David was dressed okayish most of the time and had a dull looking satchel. He lived on Thornbridge Avenue.

Next time - The Candidatesses

Great memories of all of the names on your list.Also David "Steptoe"Stephenson who lived facing the old Birley Junior school who sadly is no longer with us.

Great memories of all of the names on your list.Also David "Steptoe"Stephenson who lived facing the old Birley Junior school who sadly is no longer with us.

steptoe great character...once got press ganged out of frecheville to play cricket...

steptoe fielded all afternoon..then batted at number 11...got hit with ball...and moved out of his crease...wicket keeper removed the stumps...

steptoe replied...i have been dragged out of pub...fielded for over two hours hardly touching the ball...then i face two balls get hit then i'm out...

he was not happy...but allowed to have another bat....

think he scared them...only lasted a couple more balls..before being bowled..

he said..now that's what i call cricket..