Can you get sacked for comments on facebook?

Its wrong to sack anyone for comments on facebook IN MY OPINION unless they are breaking confidentiality laws in which they are bound by in their line of work.

If somebody says they are bored with work, their job is rubbish, they hate their job etc that is up to them. I know many people who regularly do this, if somebody has the time to create false ID's on facebook in management for a company then they have too much time on their hands and probably only a matter of time before they have no job as surely this would be desperate measures to keep someone in employment. Also, should they be using facebook in work time? LOL

If somebody went to 'grass' on a colleague, should it be taken seriously for saying they hate their job? No. Get a life!!

Will companies use it? If it suits them then yes! Any excuse at the moment with redundancies in most sectors and jobs now having high staff turnovers lowering wages.

Saying, for example Person A works at Tesco and says 'I hate my job' and gets sacked for it, then would Person B who puts on their status 'I hate tescos' be chased by lawyers even though they dont work there but still slating tesco? No. (I am using tesco only as an example and do not work there or hate the place!lol)

To have a go about a manager would be stupid, enemy for your time in employment there if they found out. But if you are not their friend and they found out, someone would need a good 'talking too'!

This is all going way too out of hand, if they are doing their job well, why sack someone for comments saying they didnt like it? Obviously never put on FB that you thrown a sickie and are off to pub!!PMSL

If somebody says they are bored with work, their job is rubbish, they hate their job etc that is up to them.

And, equally, it's up to an employer to dismiss them for their words.

You can't have it both ways.

Bitching about your employer online is really incredibly unprofessional. You might want to have a good moan to your friends in the real world, but openly making comments online is simply asking for trouble.

I think its worth pointing out the bored admin girl was only their a week wasn't she? So they could dismiss her anyway, including usiing the FB reason, however if she'd been there more than a year it would have not been a dismissal just for saying they are bored. They would have had to take another route.

why do people volunteer information on sites like fb etc then moan about the outcome of what they have said :huh:you see adverts on tv telling people that when they go on holiday make sure that the house looks like someone is still in,then people openly telling would be burglars that they are going on holiday. no wonder insurance companies are looking into this and could refrain from paying out on claims :huh:

i think its because it is written etc like on fb so can be printed off etc and used as evidence

but if verbal its a case of prove it.

I think its worth pointing out the bored admin girl was only their a week wasn't she? So they could dismiss her anyway, including usiing the FB reason, however if she'd been there more than a year it would have not been a dismissal just for saying they are bored. They would have had to take another route.

Absolutely. There's a huge difference between saying you are bored at work and slagging off a company or taking pot shots at your boss or colleagues.

It's really not the same.

Theoretically, it is exactly the same. Theoretically, you can be fired for bringing your company into disrepute during a pub conversation - it's just harder to prove that you did. On Facebook, it's very easy to prove.

I think that's what Karis meant by 'its not the same' - because it can rarely be proven whereas anything in writing by the author, can be.

no its not, a comment in a pub is to a handfull of people who will forget it, a comment on facebook can be seen by millions and will exist forever.
Even if you have all the privacy settings to the max? And even if you delete it having thought better of it? Your so-called friends would really have to have it in for you to give your boss their password so s/he could see your comment or do a screen grab?

People who aren't your friends, you can only see their name and possibly a profile pic not their statuses.

ETA: having read further I see I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Edited by rubydazzler

I think that's what Karis meant by 'its not the same' - because it can rarely be proven whereas anything in writing by the author, can be.

If so, then fair enough; but people seem to be suggesting that the cases that do become public shouldn't be acted upon, since if people had their settings sufficiently harsh, they would not have become public.

That's clearly silly. There have been cases of people being fired for "something they said in a pub" - usually because they didn't know who was sitting at the next table and couldn't help but hear them. Bringing your employer into disrepute is always a dismissable offence (subject to appropriate disciplinary rules); whether anyone finds out about it only decides whether it is acted upon - not whether it deserved to be.

Yes, if you repeat anything to anyone, there is always a chance it could backfire on you. People havea habit of telling someone else 'in confidence' then that person tells another 'in confidence'....until the chain breaks down and it gets out and back to the person (or company in this case) being talked about, either verbally or written. Safest bet is never to repeat anything except those closest to you and never write it down anywhere. However, you canot dismiss someone for being a whistleblower ie if the employee tells someone they suspect the employer is doing something they shouldn't be, such as a criminal offence. Of course, you'd need to have your facts evidenced first!

Theoretically, it is exactly the same. Theoretically, you can be fired for bringing your company into disrepute during a pub conversation - it's just harder to prove that you did. On Facebook, it's very easy to prove.

No. It's NOT the same. There's a massive difference between saying you are bored and putting a company in disrepute.

Either way, talking about work where pretty much anyone can read it is never a good idea.

I would never say anything negative about work online - you might as well have a target sign on your back!

Edited by Karis