Address scam going on in Sheffield area.

If it was true which I don't believe, how did the guy at the gate know *when* the parcel van was due to turn up? Wouldn't someone hanging outside your house all day long arouse a little suspicion? And I also don't believe the postman wouldn't bring it to the door. In my experience, they're pretty good like that.

I dont know if the above story is true or not, but this scam is real, nigerians are renting houses and getting mobile phones delivered to them and also the neighbours addresses too, they know when the phones are to be delivered s they are next day delivery! i know its real as it has happened on a couple of my properties

Guys, I can confirm this shi*z does happen and has happened to my properties.

Simple advice: be extremely vigilant!

P.S if the OP is a hoax, how do I know you guys aren’t fake too? :hihi:

As far as I was aware, they don't just give mail to anybody stading on the street anyway.

no they are not suppose to give you mail outside your home, this is going back about 5 years and i had just come back from shopping and met the postman following me to my door i asked for my mail and he would not give it to me until i opened my front door, he told me that its the rule that he cant give out mail only threw letterbox or if someone is inside the house to recieve it.

We used to have this happen regularly. Someone would go into one of the shops and order a TV and VCR and pay a small deposit. The equipment might be worth £600 to £800. When the driver delivered the equipment he would either be intercepted in the way described, or they would give a false address.

This led to the company introducing all sorts of security checks including asking the customer for ID.

I got the exact same email this morning also.

OK, to settle it, tell us where this happened so we can check with the Police. Then we'll have confirmation and can all be on our guard.

Why would you want to waste your time and check with the police?! If someone on here says it happened then why not believe them? The person just put this on to help you. I understand that there are hoaxes about on email but you can't get them all, and even if it is a hoax how can it hurt anyone to be aware that it might happen. I know postmen shouldn't give mail to anyone outside the house but its happened to me several times if i'm rushing out and catch him and he always gives it me. But now I have read this I will ask him not to give mail to anyone other than me or post it through my letter box. Hoax or no hoax it has made me more aware.

Also got this e-mail from a good friend who I saw later in the day. It did happen.

Hi

To set the record straight, I just wanted to confirm that the email you received about the address scam is genuine. It is logged with the police who are looking into it. The reason I sent the email to was to ensure it didn't happen to anyone else. At the time when the parcel was being delivered, I just thought it was odd that someone was trying to sign for mail addressed to my house and I was shocked when I spoke to the sorting office and realised we had had a lucky escape. You never think that things like this would actually happen.

I am overwhelmed at how widely distributed the email has become and only since Tuesday 10/07/07 when the incident happened. I had a phone call at work from the head of security at Sheffield Teaching hospitals to check out the source and he said the email was going out to 13000 people! I have also had a phone call from The Sheffield Star. I never hid my identity because I was only sending it out to friends and it feels a bit odd that so many people now have it.

Jo

Hi All

There's an article in tonight's Sheffield Star on the Address Scam if you are interested.

Jo

Call the police to check if its true:loopy:? Unbelievable ! Get into the real world blunderson stuff like this actually happens you know.

If someone said they saw a flying saucer land on meadowhall then.......

bazaar