Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

And so say most of us old girls.Pity things have changed

And so say most of us old girls.Pity things have changed

I was at Abbeydale, but in the 60`s. I remember some of the teachers mentioned above. Miss Williams, especially, and also Dr Green, she controlled all her `gels` with a rod of iron, God Rest Her

Hello! I'm new to this forum and found this thread when searching for information about my mother, Jean Brunton. She must have left Abbeydale about 1941 - I have her nursing certificate that says she graduated after 3 years in 1944. She told me little about her school days except she was captain of the cricket team? Does any one remember her? Is there any archive material one can access? Yours in hope, Karen.:help:

HY My wife attended this school. Not sure of the actual dates,but she was born in Jan 1930,so probably there mid 40's. Her name is Margaret Ruth Savage.

Hello Karen. Apologies to all for going off thread but could'nt resist this query. Say 1943 I worked at Edgar Allen's Tinsley,with Arthur Brunton who lived at Frecheville.He would be in his thirties then in the General office. Any relation?.

Hello Karen. Apologies to all for going off thread but could'nt resist this query. Say 1943 I worked at Edgar Allen's Tinsley,with Arthur Brunton who lived at Frecheville.He would be in his thirties then in the General office. Any relation?.

Sorry, no, I don't think this is a relative of mine - I have no Arthurs, but its all a bit complex - there was a lot of illegitimacy in this line! Naughty lot!:confused:

HY My wife attended this school. Not sure of the actual dates,but she was born in Jan 1930,so probably there mid 40's. Her name is Margaret Ruth Savage.

Does your wife recall anything about my Mum? Mum was born in 1926, so she would have been a bit older - went off to nurse at the City General in 1941 or so. Its great to have a reply even if its a negative, don't you think?

Karen:)

Hello Karen. Sorry I cant help you with your query. My wife's medical state is such that she's unable to communicate with anyone. You seem such a nice lady, that I'm sure you'll understand. I've always said that cos of the education she received, this enabled her to do very well in all her jobs.She worked most of her married life and spoke many times how proud she was that she'd risen from the east end to attend Abbeydale. WE married in 1955 , so I'm a very lucky guy.

......................and your wife is very lucky to have you!!!!!

Thanks for this - I'm sorry your wife is ill. I will keep on trying to find information - would you like me to keep you posted if I make a breakthrough?

Karen:)

Thanks Hetty and Karen for your kind words. Everyone has a cross to bear in one way or another. Yes Karen, let me know if you get a response. Sometimes people dont read these posts for ages and then Bingo!. Meanwhile,all the best to everyone.

There were only four houses in our year. Someone has added "MARVEL" as a fifth house.. Not too sure we had this one. Elizabeth Fry was the yellow house and I think Fry replace the name Marvel. As I remember from sports events only four colours: blue, green, yellow and red...cavell; darling; fry and nightingale.

I was at AGGS from 1947 to 1954. Fry house did not exist then but Marvel did.I think Marvel was green.I remember there were around 600 girls only in those days So much better than a 1000+ school!We were lucky!

My cousins Betty and Gwen Laws were there in the years before I arrived on the scene