Where Can I Get A Cis / Css Card From ???

CSCS cards you pay for as someone said its about £17 for the test. My OH got a cd with some practise questions and answers on from ebay fairly cheap, saves buying the book. To be honest he said its all common sense anyway, if i remember rightly you have to get all the questions correct to pass, my OH's test was about dinner time, 40 people had done the test before him and only 2 passed so its quite hard but nothing you can revise for if that makes sense.

Not all sites you don't. I've never had one and worked on plenty.

Oh Absolutely, I go on sites as part of my job all the time, I've never once been asked to show my card before I'm allowed on. However, it is meant to be a legal requirement, or at least I thought it was!? From what I've been told a lot of companies don't ask you to show the card as if you don't have it they can't let you on to do the work you are there for, which doesn't make commercial sense.

CSCS cards you pay for as someone said its about £17 for the test. My OH got a cd with some practise questions and answers on from ebay fairly cheap, saves buying the book. To be honest he said its all common sense anyway, if i remember rightly you have to get all the questions correct to pass, my OH's test was about dinner time, 40 people had done the test before him and only 2 passed so its quite hard but nothing you can revise for if that makes sense.

It honestly only took me 6 minutes to do the test. I don't think I got everything right though (they don't actually give you a percentage). If you revise it is fairly easy, but a lot of it isn't actually common sense, it's stuff you need to know. Questions like how high a guide rail on scaffolding should be. I won't ever put up any scaffolding, or inspect it, but it's part of the questions, if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have known.

Here's a couple of link to give you all the facts

http://www.cscs.uk.com/

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/

Basically....

The CSCS card is an individual identification and registration card (similar to a credit card) which lasts for three or five years.

The CSCS card shows that the holder is considered to be competent at his or her job, lists any relevant certificates and also shows that the holder has undergone health and safety awareness training or testing.

Can't remember the excact cost of the CSCS card but think it's around £15. But if you request the forms off the site it'll tell you the current price on the forms.

Hope this helps.

...a cis card is for somebody who wants to work as self-employed as a subcontractor in the construction industry,you have to show the card to the person you subconract to to get paid.

like your 'own' fitters, plumbers and electricians?

To obtain a CSCS Card is more difficult now than suggested by some answers. It is applicable to specific skills, some of which are related to NVQS. For example the demolition card is divided into Labourer then Mattock Man then Topman. The Labourer Card is very basic and is only valid for a specific time scale; the purpose of which is to allow the holder to make progress to topman level.

To progress within this framework you need to develop the skills required for each category.

The test that is mentioned is the Health and Safety Touch Screen test which establishes a basic competency in Health and Safety only.

It is part of the CSCS System in that you can not get a CSCS Card without taking the Touch Screen Test.The touch screen test needs to be re-taken every two years.

In relation to going on sites, many of the major contractors, Skanska, Balfour Beatty etc will not let you on site without the card. This being part of their strategy to reduce liability should there be an accident-they could at a minimum argue that an operative has a "deemed competency" to carry out the activity in which he/she may have been involved at the time of any accident.

There will always be sites that are not as rigorous but as time moves on they will become fewer.

brain potter,

i dont know what your problem is?

there are millions of people in this country who are self employed without them where would we be Mr potter,

I've passed the tests and got all the paperwork I need for the CSCS Card, but... with every employer I've contacted, they say 'you need the card' and when I took the test at Learn Direct, they said 'Go to the Employer and start work, and then you will get their signature and can send off the paperwork for the full (Green) CSCS Card'.

Result?

The paperwork, photos, ID et al. which I have painstakingly completed for my CSCS Card has been GATHERING DUST at home for Gone 4, perhaps 5 MONTHS NOW.

can anyone tell me of HOW, IN HEAVENS NAME, can I get my CSCS Card SORTED OUT!

Any advice would be most welcome!!!!!!

there are millions of people in this country who are self employed without them where would we be Mr potter,

the taxpaying public would be much better off for a start, what with all the unscrupulous businesses that abuse the system

dont you know that all self employed people pay tax as well,and early next year the system changes all buisnesses will be checked to see that all sub-contractors are registered with them and wether they should be employed or self-employed,i cant see why this is abusing the system?

I think the "tax paying public" have a lot more to worry about than self employed people who work and pay tax for a living.

exactly, and if you ask anyone who is self employed if they would prefer to be employed or self employed i know what the answer would be.

although iam sure they would like sick pay, holiday pay, maternity pay and all the other benifets that go along with it.

and i wonder what the percentage of employed or self-employed/ subcontractors is who phone in sick ?