Help, I'm getting a new lap top!!

At the risk of all you computer wizz kids laughing at the old fogey!! I'm getting a new laptop next week which the nice men from the shop are setting up for me. I have only ever used a desk top and not terribly computer savvy!! Yes, I have Broadband!!

I know I need to put photos on to a memory stick from Picassa, likewise any documents I need to save but do I need to copy down all my email addresses or Facebook contacts? to transfer????

As a rule of thumb back up anything you would miss if you lost it. Certainly keep a copy of your email addresses because if you had to re-install your operating system your email address book could well be blank. Enjoy your new laptop.

Depends where your email contacts are, if you use gmail.com - they are saved on Gmail, and will be there regardless... same with FaceBook, those people are on the FaceBook website/server and you don't need to do anything except sign in to FaceBook on your new computer...

Likewise with Picassa, if they are up on the website, they will still be there...

it's only things in "My Documents" and "My Pictures" etc you need to manually transfer...

If its windows 8 good luck. horrible. Just had gosh convert my new samsung back to win 7. Now its great . :hihi:

hi there,

no your face book and emails are not stored in the computer its in thier servers so you dont need to back these up just access them as usual

thanks

hi there,

no your face book and emails are not stored in the computer its in thier servers so you dont need to back these up just access them as usual

thanks

Incorrect.

I use Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and my address book and emails are stored on my computer.

Like the above reply depending on what mail programme you use you will need all your email addresses (if you have more than 1) plus passwords you may (also) lose all your emails

Every programme that needs a username and password will also need to be remembered and perhaps written down

I believe that depending on what Email prog you have there are programmes you can use to copy your emails over (Mozilla Thunderbird uses MozBackup the one I use).

If you let us know what programme you use some one will be able to help you

If you need someone to give you a hand or advice I also live up in Stannington so don't hesitate to give me a shout

Edited by Paul Blade

If its windows 8 good luck. horrible. Just had gosh convert my new samsung back to win 7. Now its great . :hihi:

You DO realise Windows 8 uses less RAM, less CPU power and is generally more efficient than Windows 7, right?

There are a lot of good improvements and most of the bad stuff (the annoying start screen) can be bypassed, leaving you with just the improvements.

Its silly to pay for a copy of Windows 7 (and illegal if you haven't) when Windows 8 works perfectly fine after a little tweaking.

You DO realise Windows 8 uses less RAM, less CPU power and is generally more efficient than Windows 7, right?

There are a lot of good improvements and most of the bad stuff (the annoying start screen) can be bypassed, leaving you with just the improvements.

Its silly to pay for a copy of Windows 7 (and illegal if you haven't) when Windows 8 works perfectly fine after a little tweaking.

Don't waste your breath mate

Please do waste your breath Alex - tell me how to tweak (bonus of 10 points) without using the Power Shell as a fellow mod implied to me on Zorin. I 'might' just give it another whirl - just for the heck of it!:D

It depends what you disliked about it.

Personally it was being forced with WinRT instead of the start menu and all the default applications being WinRT rather than desktop.

The former I fixed with with Classic Shell and the latter I eventually figured there is actually a section for file associations where you can change them all back to desktop applications.

The only other difference I can think of is that the UI looks ugly without Aero glass, but its not something worth rolling back to Windows 7 about.