Can you use fairy liquid to wash your car?

[quote name=sophiefletch;4587841! She has washed my car in fairy liquid and i am sure that this damages the paint work' date=' is this true??:huh:[/quote]

Only if you try to do it in the sink.:hihi::hihi:

ok, prolonged exposure in harsh chemicals can take off the layer you refer to......how long do you leave the soap suds on the car?

a quick wash with a few fairy suds, wont hurt. most people wash, rinse straight away. at least she didnt try fitting it in the dishwasher.

DON'T DO IT!!

I was reliably informed once that it will over a long period damage paint work.

Something to do with the de-greasing ingredients of washing up liquid draws out the "oily" part of the car paint that gives it the protective qualities.

When I worked for Halfords as lad that's what they told us as part of a training on car cleaning products. To be honest never really asked why at the time but in any case you'll probably find drop for drop fairy is more expensive than a basic car cleaner with added wax and no degreasers.

FYI if you were thinking of using windowlene or similar to clean the car windows don't. Not sure why but I think somehting to do with the coating in it, makes it really hard to de-mist your windows. The missus didn't listen to me when I told her this the first time I let her wash her car unsupervised :hihi: and now wishes she had. The proper cleaner was in the cupboard and everything.:rolleyes:

Best way to clean a greasy windscreen is to polish it with toothpaste and you get a nice minty odour next time it rains too.

disagree darbees i use mouthwash in the windscreen washers. a quick squirt of minty freshness anytime lol.

The best thing to wash your car is cheep supermarket shampoo,A bloke told me years ago and it works brill

Please settle an argument between me and my partner! She has washed my car in fairy liquid and i am sure that this damages the paint work, is this true??:huh:

Are you crazy? Ive alwaysed washed car with fairy or other washing up liquids and nothings ever happened to the paint work and calling her (she) isnt very respectful is it?

I heard washing up liquid damages the seals on the windows.

Not sure if it's true, but I thought you weren't supposed to do the car in washing up liquid, as it has salt in it??

Second vote for this one....too much salt.

Washing up liquids are slightly caustic, Wilko's do a good budget range of car cleaning stuff.