Are new apartments noisy

yeah we have a detached no road noise or people walking past house, id be gutted though if I sold and didn't like apartments. Have to rent mine out first and ret apartment for 6 month tough decision lol

Yeah it would be awful to sell up and then find out you hate it in the flat.

Shine2 - have you considered downsizing to a small detached bungalow, perhaps a two bedroomed? It just seems a big step from your current home to a flat. Flats are great for ease of management but you are at the mercy of your neighbours. Some flats are in small blocks of just four so that might be something to look out for too.

Depends on the flat I suppose, The quality of the build and your neighbours will be big factors.

I have lived in a flat (top floor) and a terraced house, in the terraced house I could hear if the neighbour farted, in the flat it was silent, I once opened my window and could hear really loud music coming from the flat underneath me, I closed the window and could no longer hear the music.

The terraced house was built 1890 and the flat was converted from a barn in 2009 so maybe the new builds are better.

I've lived in a few places over the years, the contenders for noisiest have to be my last terraced house where I could hear next door's mobile phone vibrating, and the house converted into two flats. I had the upstairs flat, it was fine whilst downstairs was empty, but I got new neighbours and realised their living room was directly below my bedroom and I could hear them talking like they were in the next room. I could never make out the words, which I think was somehow worse!

I live on the top floor of a large block of flats built in 2007 and was very nervous about noise when we moved in, turning down the bass on the TV etc. A couple of weeks in we found out our neighbour was having regular band practice next door and we hadn't heard a thing! By far the quietest place we've lived, despite having three immediate neighbours.