How will the Trump presidency affect BREXIT ?

Trump said that the UK would get a trade deal with the US before the EU (in contrast to Obama's warning that we would be at the back of the queue).

Don't get me wrong, I did not want Trump to win, but every cloud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928

Sorry, is this the same Trump who primarily got elected by promising the (white) working class of America he`d protect their jobs by introducing tariffs ?

Sorry, is this the same Trump who primarily got elected by promising the (white) working class of America he`d protect their jobs by introducing tariffs ?

Perhaps he feels other countries are a bigger threat to American jobs than the UK. He did rabbit on about Chi-na quite a lot.

My bold [ref the infamous £350 million pound claim]

Give it a rest now as the same line over and over is getting boring now.

I see you don't bring up the lies that the remain side told, you remainers need to look in the mirror= http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matthew-ellery/leave-lies-remainers-need_b_12191462.html :rolleyes:

I shall not give it a rest. I shall never forget it. And neither will a lot of others.

I read that article, it was, as I`m sure you`ll admit, rather tendentious. That said, there was the one thing the Remain campaign said which I squirmed at, the infamous emergency budget. But that was soon forgotten, even the remain campaign tried to bury it. But back to that article, in case it hadn`t escaped your notice, we haven`t actually left yet, and the Government has already started making (uncosted....) promises to anyone it feels might react badly to Brexit, e.g. Nissan. But spending the NHS`s £350 million, how has that happened.........

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 10:54 ----------

Perhaps he feels other countries are a bigger threat to American jobs than the UK. He did rabbit on about Chi-na quite a lot.

The implication being the UK is not going to export much to the US ?

The implication being the UK is not going to export much to the US ?

Did I imply that? All I'm saying it that Trump might consider other countries more of a threat to American jobs than the UK. It is not difficult to think why.

Trump said that the UK would get a trade deal with the US before the EU (in contrast to Obama's warning that we would be at the back of the queue).

Don't get me wrong, I did not want Trump to win, but every cloud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928

except he wants to tear up nafta and the other's america is involved in

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 13:09 ----------

as with everything, what happens next depends on what he does. on the basis of what he has said and written over the past few years then he may take the USA out of NATO and undermine the network of free trade and other deals which have underpinned global trade for the last 40 years.

Alternatively, once he sees the consequences of some of those actions then maybe he wont do either of these things.

Did I imply that? All I'm saying it that Trump might consider other countries more of a threat to American jobs than the UK. It is not difficult to think why.

I think you did. Trump got voted in by cleverly portraying himself as anti establishment and "for" the working man. We`ll pass on how thick so many Americans must be to fall for that one, and concentrate on the fact he appealed to the working classes in particular by promising to introduce tariffs to protect their jobs. Almost by definition, if he`s not going to introduce tariffs on British goods it can only be because there won`t be much of an effect on American jobs by not doing so, due to the fact there won`t be much stuff imported. Either that or he`s just as duplicitous as most other politicians.

Post Brexit Britain has a friend in Trump, whereas it wouldn't have under Hillary Clinton.

except he wants to tear up nafta and the other's america is involved in

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 13:09 ----------

as with everything, what happens next depends on what he does. on the basis of what he has said and written over the past few years then he may take the USA out of NATO and undermine the network of free trade and other deals which have underpinned global trade for the last 40 years.

Alternatively, once he sees the consequences of some of those actions then maybe he wont do either of these things.

So, is he cleverer than we think, but also a typical lying politician who never does what he said he would. Or is he actually going to do all those things and cause Gawd knows what problems for the USA and the World.

On balance I`m obviously hoping he`s just a typical politician. The thing is, Hitler got voted in because the population didn`t believe he actually meant to do all he said he would, but he did mean it. Not that I`m equating Trump with Hitler, not yet anyway !

I think you did. Trump got voted in by cleverly portraying himself as anti establishment and "for" the working man. We`ll pass on how thick so many Americans must be to fall for that one, and concentrate on the fact he appealed to the working classes in particular by promising to introduce tariffs to protect their jobs. Almost by definition, if he`s not going to introduce tariffs on British goods it can only be because there won`t be much of an effect on American jobs by not doing so, due to the fact there won`t be much stuff imported. Either that or he`s just as duplicitous as most other politicians.

I think you have your answer right there.

Post Brexit Britain has a friend in Trump, whereas it wouldn't have under Hillary Clinton.

With friends like that.......

Trump is selfish, both for himself and his country. He made no bones about the latter in his campaign, in fact that was his campaign. A friend worth having ? What`s your definition of a friend ?

With friends like that.......

Trump is selfish, both for himself and his country. He made no bones about the latter in his campaign, in fact that was his campaign. A friend worth having ? What`s your definition of a friend ?

I'm looking at your avatar picture, really you ought to move on from that Brexit campaign, it'll eat you up.

Don't fool yourself. Trump doesn't have friends. He divides the world into three:

1. Those who will help his aims. They are the wonderful wonderful people.

2. Those who will challenge him. They are evil nasty disgusting people.

3. Pussy.

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 14:16 ----------

I'm looking at your avatar picture, really you ought to move on from that Brexit campaign, it'll eat you up.

When Blair et al managed to deceive enough of the country with a pack of lies for the Iraq invasion, it lingered until we had closure from the Chilcott Report over a decade later.

Ultimately it's Blair whose eaten up from within. But the region continues to pay a heavy price, with Isis moving into the vacuum and creating a refugee crisis.

Let's not make important decisions on the back of a pack of lies again.