Anyone know an animal/bird rescue place locally?

There's a slightly confused looking adolescent rook hanging around near the building I work, on an industrial estate in Chapeltown. Not sure whether to just leave it, someone's ringing RSPCA but they're always rushed of their feet. I think it's not that old because it's still got slight bits of downy feathers round the belly.

Answers to the name of "caw", likes biscuits but apparently doesn't appreciate bits with creamy filling still attached. There's a couple of local cats that hang around so a local bird whisperer would be good.

PM/reply if you can help...

Theres a place in Woodseats, he is meant to be brill. Give him a try :) I'll just try and find his details for you.

Here you go, try giving them a ring.

VOLUNTARY RESCUE CENTRE FOR BIRDS & WILDLIFE

141 WOODSEATS ROAD

SHEFFIELD

TEL 01142 55 78 24

MOBILE 07860 808179

EMAIL voluntaryrescue@yahoo.co.uk

Thank for that, just rang him & they're closing (or have closed) down, he gave me the phone number of a wonderful woman in Wentworth who talked to me for 1/4 hour & gave some great advice about what to look for & what to do.

Turns out it's probably OK, they apparently hop around on the ground for a good few days with the parents coming back & feeding it every now & then while they're learning how to feed themselves & fly. It looked confused to me, but that was probably it wondering what that freaky evolved monkey was doing staring at it, I couldn't get within about 30ft of it without it hopping & if it was distressed then chances are it'd let me get closer & pick it up. I'm going to go leave a bowl of water out somewhere obvious for it (as it's hot that's about the best thing I can do apparently).

If anyone has any similar questions or needs advice you could do a lot worse that calling [number removed by request]. They're very full at the moment though due to the place in Woodseats closing... Lots of very parroty noises in the background too... :hihi:

**edit - phone number removed. They're overbooked, rushed off their feet, & generally harassed. The rook had got very poorly looking over the course of the morning with no shade to hide in, & hadn't touched the water I'd put out. She sent her husband to come & pick it up, it'll be in their aviary, hopefully eating & drinking by now, at the very least it'll be in the shade. She wasn't too pleased that the guy in Woodseats ONLY gave me her number, as he apparently knows very well how over-capacity they are (sounds like they took a lot off of him).

Oh no its just a disaster if they close down :sad: he is brilliant and has helped so many birds, thats just terrible news.

If anyone finds baby birds uninjured and safe on the ground it is best to leave them as they fly in a few days, but if the bird is hurt or in danger then ou can also take it to the vet who does have to deal with it, mine took 3 off me a few weeks ago, and I was told the birds are reared and released.

Just to update you, it should be (relatively) happy in their aviary by now, the way it was going it wouldn't have lasted the day in this sun, so I phoned begging for a pickup, & her husband was down here within 10 minutes. Many many thanks to Kath & "Pelican", if anyone has any spare time on their hands their kennel near Wath always need volunteers, I'll be donating some time even though I'm more of a cat person.

aww thats sad but Midge has been poorly for a long while and working with the birds as probably taken its toll. I haven't seen Midge in a while but he has done a fab job over the years and deserves a pat on the back, for all his hard work.

Midge certainly does deserve a pat on the back, I wonder how many birds he has saved I bet its a good number...no one can carry on forever I suppose but its a terrible shame.

I wonder if he might learn a couple of people how to do it so that they could carry on in his place that would be really great.

I hope he does but unless the right people respond there can't be a rescue there.

Back to the thread title this, and I don't mean that sarcastically. Are there any local rescue places cos we would like a bird.

South Yorkshire Animal Rescue at Walkley take in domestic and wildlife. Phone between 10am and 5pm 0114 2349656

Cant hepl out with large birds but sparrows linnits wrens greenfinch bullfinch robin anything that size not a problem incubator down at mo so cant take any thats featherless at moment unless canarys have young at time.At moment there on eggs.

Big avary was closed down but may re open later in year.need of a thermostat for incubator if anyone has one doing nothing even the tropical fish tank ones will do ???

Edited by terminator