How do you deal with someone that only wants to talk about themselves?

How do you deal with someone that only wants to talk about themselves?

Next time she interrupts and starts talking about herself just stand up and walk away. :o

You will only have to do this a couple of times and she will get the message. :hihi:

stop being selfish and try and include her in the general conversation instead of talking and not involving her! that way she wont need to feel that she needs to interupt to have a conversation. also have you thought she might be talking about her self just to get a response and to tell people about her life because no1 bothers to ask

just tell her she is boring that should work:hihi:

Point out to her what she is doing and ask her to reflect on why she is doing it. Johari Window.

I find most people I meet like that ,especially young people I 've met on my travels in asia

you've only got to ask them where they've been and away they go

never think of asking you where you've been:(:D

if it gets really bad and they've been rabbiting to long I ask them if they'd like me to do a sound track for them to go a long with it.

Eugh. I know somebody like this, it gets very tedious doesn't it. If you find something that works without being rude do share the secret!

I find most people I meet like that ,especially young people I 've met on my travels in asia

you've only got to ask them where they've been and away they go

never think of asking you where you've been:(:D

if it gets really bad and they've been rabbiting to long I ask them if they'd like me to do a sound track for them to go a long with it.

So basically when you ask them a question they have the nerve to answer it, kids uh!

Aren't most people like that? You make a call to a friend for the precise purpose of passing on some good news, or seeking advice or sympathy about a problem you have and within two minutes you're having to listen to their good news or sympathise with them, or even worse, having to listen to rambling story about a third party that you don't even know, and care even less about. :D

Yes! I think you are right there. I often say Excuse me, I am trying to tell you my story. They let you carry on for a short while, then take over again!

Had a good day today. No work. Went to pics with two of my sons. Film was okay. Then went and did a bit of shopping. Put some turf down and then went to the gym. Home now. Had a spot of fish pie, watching later with jules now, might have a bath in a bit, dunno though...

Are you on Facebook?:P:D

I don't know how to deal with people like this without being rude, its so irritating. The only way I think is to not have personal conversations while they're around.

The type that really get me are those that labour over one point in the story that has no bearing on the outcome like 'I was telling my mum on Tuesday, no wait, was it Wednesday, I think it might have been Wednesday because I'd been out to the supermarket and I normally go on a Thursday but I remember that week I didn't because my nan was ill' ARGH makes me want to scream :)

Sorry Kthebean I missed that, what came after 'the type that really get me?

stop being selfish and try and include her in the general conversation instead of talking and not involving her! that way she wont need to feel that she needs to interupt to have a conversation. also have you thought she might be talking about her self just to get a response and to tell people about her life because no1 bothers to ask

It's not about being selfish, she's included in many of the general conversations we have at work, however sometimes she invites herself into other peoples chats, and it then becomes all about her. I enjoy a good chinwag with most people but in her case a conversation is a one way street. Last week a retired member of staff popped back in to see us, but rather than allowing her to tell us about her retirement, this person just talked all over her and proceed to tell us about her retirement plans...it's just plain rude!!