Heeley train station?

In the fifties we used to go up a little drive opposite the Heeley Palace and through a tunnel under the lines to the ticket office then up onto the platform..... The teen bar was opened around the mid fifties can't remember whether the post office was there then or after to be honest .....

Edited by grinder

hi i was born on wolseley road in the 50s and can remember the opening to heeley station and its opersite ponsfords.just before the bend .

In the fifties we used to go up a little drive opposite the Heeley Palace and through a tunnel under the lines to the ticket office then up onto the platform..... The teen bar was opened around the mid fifties can't remember whether the post office was there then or after to be honest .....

That's as I remember it too, but there was also a 'hole in the wall' subway entrance off London road opposite Ponsfords. The Post Office occupied the left hand side of the old station building and the Youth Club/Teen Bar was on the right.

See it here in maps.live.com -

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/HeeleyStation.jpg

and in Street View -

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/HeeleyStation2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/HeeleyStation3.jpg

In 1876 the 'Flying Scotsman' train had an accident there.

Edited by crookes

Google, London road south, Sheffield.

Go to the bus stop outside the new Ponsfords,

Swing directly opposite and you will see the over grown entrance we used to get up to the station ...

The entrance to the subways oposite ponsfords:

COMPACT3461.jpg

It worked elenac....Smashin

I had forgotten the big chimney, was that Skeltons ?

Dont know if this will work, but if it has you should be looking at a picture of the station taken from a southbound train.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/elenac01/HeeleyStation.jpg

Pedant mode on: If that's london Road on the left right and Hyde Park flats in the distance, presumable taken through the read window. And travelling beween the tracks too judging from where the lines are ;)

Edited by henrypond
can't tell my left from my right!

Very nice shot the shop on the corner on the right is presumably on the oposite corner to the Crown PH ?

The main rd with Ponsfords on is on the right of the pic as you are looking towards the city. I have quite a few pics taken by the same person. All are taken from a similar position which would tend to suggest he was a train guard either passenger or goods, that would axplain his position in relation to the track. I will post more if any of the locations crop up.

The main rd with Ponsfords on is on the right of the pic as you are looking towards the city. I have quite a few pics taken by the same person. All are taken from a similar position which would tend to suggest he was a train guard either passenger or goods, that would axplain his position in relation to the track. I will post more if any of the locations crop up.

I'm looking at the signals. I used to be a signaller and know we weren't exactly quick at putting the signals back. This makes me think it's a rearward facing view, the train being on the righthand tracks (signal off in distance), therefore heading Manchester way. The points also look like they're set for coming away from the buffers.

Could be wrong, in fact probably am.

Good photo by the way.