Local Cricket Heroes down the years

And sadly very few places left to play it!

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 12:15 ----------

Anyhow years ago when I was a lot quicker in my first season I remember playing against if my memory serves me Co op cricket club at Bellhouse rd,In comes a wily old boy I think he was called Jack Green after a few quick deliveries my captain pulled me to one side and told me to go easy as "Jack doesn't wear a box" an over later he was at the bowlers end as I was walking back to my mark he pulled me up and politely said "nahh then son thee concentrate on thee bowling I've faced a lot quicker than you thall not scare me" my captain was <removed> himself as I stood with my hands in the air in resignation.

Edited by nikki-red
Language

Jack Green! He was the first bowler I faced in "adult" cricket as a spotty faced 15 year old playing for Frecheville 3rds, against Sheffield Co-op at Bellhouse Road.

Seem to remember he didn't wear batting gloves either ?

One player I would class as a local cricket legend who I had the privilege of playing with for many years until he retired last season would be Dave Hague .He was a captains dream could always relied on to bowl twenty two overs(back when that was allowed)and never failed to getwickets a proper you miss,I hit bowler very powerful batsman when he got his eye in and fearless fielder.He must have given at least forty five years to Sheffield league cricket.Legend!!

i used to go everywhere with my dad ( jim myers) cricketing around the area he played a match somewhere and as he was bowling a billy goat ran onto the field and chased him , ive got a local paper comic strip that someone had drawn up think it was bill naylor from frechville

Edited by jamesey

does anyone know what happened to any 80s players from shiregreen and frechville or anymore pics from that era:)

Great thread this one and a few names spring to my mind from over the years playing for Dronfield Woodhouse CC.

John Bridgett a legend for this club on and off the pitch. His off spin down the slope at the “Rec” was incredible and used to have many a batsmen puzzled. I recall one game against in particular against Hathersage CC they had a opener who was scoring heavy (more slogs than strokes). However John came on and he didn’t have an answer getting him in his very first over.

Unsure if still playing be great if so.

Great thread this one and a few names spring to my mind from over the years playing for Dronfield Woodhouse CC.

John Bridgett a legend for this club on and off the pitch. His off spin down the slope at the “Rec” was incredible and used to have many a batsmen puzzled. I recall one game against in particular against Hathersage CC they had a opener who was scoring heavy (more slogs than strokes). However John came on and he didn’t have an answer getting him in his very first over.

Unsure if still playing be great if so.

Yeah he is I played a Sunday game for Dronfield last season and he took five wickets.

What about David Shutt/ George Shutt both played for city surveyors at weekends handsworth in the midweek league also played for Rotherham phoenix

hi,i played for shiregreen in 89&90,graham biggins,pat flaherty,graham & liam burdett,paul cross,graig hockenhall to name but a few. played for co-op in sheffield league.jack green did'nt wear gloves or a box !! he badgered me every week when he wasnt selected for the second team,even though i was captain of 1st team.He must have been mid seventies then. Played for aurora in the works league on bawtry road,i think we were the first team to play in colours,our sponsor was cabana soft drinks,and we had light blue sweaters with their name in red on the front.They looked terrible !!

Edited by bothamlad

ill try and put some photos on here to see if you reconise anyone:hihi:

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 18:19 ----------

Screenshot_2015-05-12-21-38-15_zpsgtv1xfok.png

Edited by jamesey

A young graham burdett and pat flaherty,dont recognise any others.A bit before my time though !! :D