Where can I find archived Sheffield Star newspapers?

does anyone no a website where i can find the sheffield stararchives thanks

sorry, forgot to mention I do not think the sheffield star

archives are available any more

I know they were available as I have used them

the link is just an alternative

It depends how far back you need to go:

If it's quite recent, you can search the online archives at http://www.sheffieldtoday.net - however it only goes back a year or so, and only includes the stories which appeared online. Therefore if it's not a major story, you won't find it.

Alternatively, the City Library has the Sheffield Star on microfilm, but you need to book a viewer. They also have files of items relating to specific subjects from the local papers.

Originally posted by Andy

It depends how far back you need to go:

If it's quite recent, you can search the online archives at http://www.sheffieldtoday.net - however it only goes back a year or so, and only includes the stories which appeared online. Therefore if it's not a major story, you won't find it.

Alternatively, the City Library has the Sheffield Star on microfilm, but you need to book a viewer. They also have files of items relating to specific subjects from the local papers.

It includes stuff that wasn't published online as well ;)

Originally posted by Andy

As Andy has said the City Library is probably your best bet, I have also been to the Sheffield Star to view archives in the past, but I was shocked and disapointed in how their archive system worked.

You will need the The Local Studies Library section, upstairs in the main library. Local newspapers are on microfilm. The main titles are the Sheffield & Rotherham Independent 1819 - 1938, the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 1855 - 1986, The Star 1890 to date, The Sheffield telegraph (weekly) 1989 to date and the Green Un 1907 to date. There are subject files of news cuttings from 1958 to date, mostly on microfiche .

I think if it is a few months back, you can go to the Star's offices.

does anyone no a website where i can find the sheffield stararchives thanks

Did you get anywhere with this ? As a Sheffielder far from home, I would LOVE to hear of something on line!!

Edited by karentrinder
When I submitted I saw the rest of the thread.

I dont know of a web site I use the central library history section they them some are paper some are on microfilsh - ring them up before hand and ask for the year you want

I hear the Star did a retro feature on the area around Neepsend a few weeks ago. Can anyone tell me how to access this?

I have searched the Star Newspaper microfiches for hours and haven´t had much success.

The problem is the microfiches do not contain the full pages only selected items and they do not cover all the different district editions.

If you are looking for any Sheffield local district items they may not have a copy.

On saying this te journey travelling through the past news is such a memory blast, I found the effort was well worth the serches.

Happy Days! PopTr